Women - Lawyers Threaten to Sue Over UConn Cutting Women's Rowing | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Women Lawyers Threaten to Sue Over UConn Cutting Women's Rowing

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

That was a very poor attempt at an editorial by an editorial board who never paid any attention to women's rowing or Uconn's Title IX compliance prior to this lawsuit.
The editorial bases its opinion on the expert testimony of the plaintiff. I would hope the plaintiffs hired an expert that would support their case.

All I do know is UConn has full time staff and lawyers whose sole or primary purpose is Title IX compliance. To think UConn has been through multiple conferences and "applied" for others and no one noticed they have been out of compliance for over a decade? Color me a skeptic.
On the chance they are found to be out of compliance- most likely through creative number crunching or just being unable to articulate their numbers, all those in the compliance office should he fired for cause.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
That was a very poor attempt at an editorial by an editorial board who never paid any attention to women's rowing or Uconn's Title IX compliance prior to this lawsuit.
The editorial bases its opinion on the expert testimony of the plaintiff. I would hope the plaintiffs hired an expert that would support their case.

All I do know is UConn has full time staff and lawyers whose sole or primary purpose is Title IX compliance. To think UConn has been through multiple conferences and "applied" for others and no one noticed they have been out of compliance for over a decade? Color me a skeptic.
On the chance they are found to be out of compliance- most likely through creative number crunching or just being unable to articulate their numbers, all those in the compliance office should he fired for cause.

There was a book I read about big time college football that talked about the…creative accounting most big time football schools use to justify title ix and having that behemoths of men subsidizing the women’s sports

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There was a book I read about big time college football that talked about the…creative accounting most big time football schools use to justify title ix and having that behemoths of men subsidizing the women’s sports

UConn's case should be easy to make.

There's a bunch of ways to get to compliance with Title IX. UConn just has to show it is taking one of the paths to compliance or even that it changed course but still gets there.

Rowing team has to show there is no path without including the rowing team.

Is it somewhere between a shell game and an accounting magic? Sure. But every school does it and most do it differently. There are hundreds of schools out there "in compliance" of Title IX without a rowing team.

the Q

Reaction Score
UConn's case should be easy to make.

There's a bunch of ways to get to compliance with Title IX. UConn just has to show it is taking one of the paths to compliance or even that it changed course but still gets there.

Rowing team has to show there is no path without including the rowing team.

Is it somewhere between a shell game and an accounting magic? Sure. But every school does it and most do it differently. There are hundreds of schools out there "in compliance" of Title IX without a rowing team.

Indeed.

The fact that we need to have this conversation is a problem. One sport should not be subsidizing others.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Indeed.

The fact that we need to have this conversation is a problem. One sport should not be subsidizing others.

I have no problem with one sport subsidizing others. There is zero chance of each sport being revenue neutral or positive. We've run this down many times. If not for accounting magic most athletic departments in colleges are net losses.

Within academic departments or facilities not everything is revenue neutral. And it's not just in academia. Large corporations usually have some divisions more profitable than others too.

the Q

Reaction Score
I have no problem with one sport subsidizing others. There is zero chance of each sport being revenue neutral or positive. We've run this down many times. If not for accounting magic most athletic departments in colleges are net losses.

Within academic departments or facilities not everything is revenue neutral. And it's not just in academia. Large corporations usually have some divisions more profitable than others too.

I just don’t feel sorry for them.

I played d3 ball.

We hustled our asses off to raise money for our seasons.

While these teams stick their hand out because football and basketball…exist.

Reaction Score
Wonder how B12 teams like an OK St manages. They sponsor minimal number of teams and footbsll should put them over the top for balance.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
To steal another Boneyarder's comment, too bad UConn didn't add scholarships to women's track and tell rowing to pound sand. Suing the school leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. F the rowing team.

Reaction Score
To steal another Boneyarder's comment, too bad UConn didn't add scholarships to women's track and tell rowing to pound sand. Suing the school leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. F the rowing team.
That is disrespectful of serious UConn athletes. Imagine if that's the way the women's crew team felt about men's or women's basketball?

Reaction Score
That is disrespectful of serious UConn athletes. Imagine if that's the way the women's crew team felt about men's or women's basketball?

"serious"...? c'mon now. Sure they may practice and work hard but of the 40 girls on the roster, I would love to know how many actually rowed in high school. (Because I was interested, I looked it up - 15 of the 37 listed don't mentioned any rowing experience before UConn). They actively need to "recruit" girls on campus the first month of each school year to fill out their roster. Would love to redirect those girls scholarship/athlete spots to other sports for girls with actual experience in their sport.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Yes, serious. I made no comment about what athletic abilities they may have, I just said that them suing the school is offensive to me. My borrowed suggestion was a way to satisfy title IX and still cut costs by eliminating our vaunted rowing team.

Reaction Score
There was no expectaion of succes.There will be now.

Reaction Score
Mike DiMauro from The Day weighs in...

Reaction Score
Mike DiMauro from The Day weighs in...
Mike DiMauro - Boston College grad...

Reaction Score
Indeed.

Why is that? A university isn't a collection of sports teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom