Women - Lawyers Threaten to Sue Over UConn Cutting Women's Rowing | The Boneyard

Women Lawyers Threaten to Sue Over UConn Cutting Women's Rowing

Reaction Score
Lawyers representing the UConn women’s rowing team sent a letter to UConn president Thomas Katsouleas on Monday stating that if the university did not reinstate the women’s rowing program, a class action lawsuit would be filed against the university and the lawyers would seek a preliminary injunction immediately to preserve the status of the team, which is set to be cut after this season. Title IX is the key to their lawsuit. I side with the lawyers and rowers!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I would add one women's track scholarship and tell them to pound sand. Those who survive based solely on legal compliance technicalities shouldn't be making waves, no pun intended.

If they were smart, they'd have asked for a one time contribution to allow them to form a club team. This lawsuit is DOA.

Reaction Score
Some people have no concept that funding a sport requires $$$$. If you don’t have the money you can’t fund the sport. This isn’t really that difficult a concept.

Reaction Score
You would think Title IX considerations were taken into account before deciding which sports to cut.
60 on the team, 30 get some kind of AD financial support according to their coach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I have a hard time supporting a sport that needs to hand out flyers to recruit current students the first few weeks of the semester to fill their roster each year. I remember seeing posters asking for girls to come out for the team with the promise of getting all the "athlete apparel" as an incentive.

Reaction Score
Varsity rowing girls are only behind club rugby girls in terms of weirdness/corniness, sorry if this offends

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Great job by the Courant to show the actual numbers. On the surface it seems the male teams were impacted more than the female, but that's without knowing how the scholarship distribution is.
Regardless, I can't get behind a lawsuit against my school. They can pound sand!

Reaction Score
Here is some relevant info: Jennifer Sanford is in her 24th season as the head coach of the University of Connecticut rowing program. In 2014, she led UConn to a third place finish at the American Athletic Conference Championships at Mercer County Park.

Prior to coming to UConn, Sanford was the novice women’s coach at the University of Pennsylvania, where she led the Quaker novice eight to the finals of the Eastern Sprints. In 1996 and 1997, she was the United States Junior National Development Team coach.

Sanford comes from a large coaching family. Her father, Bill Sanford, retired in 2002 after coaching the men’s crew at Syracuse University for 37 years. Her sister Kris was the head women’s rowing coach at Syracuse from 1996 to 2010. At Marist College, her cousin Tom Sanford is the Director of Rowing and Head Women’s Coach.

Reaction Score
So just from the article, Title IX is extremely complicated and while the school clearly tried to make these cuts in compliance with Title IX, who knows whether or not there is some technical violation that makes the plaintiff's suit reasonable.

Having said that, however, being outraged when a school with budget problems within the Athletic Department tries to deal with this by cutting both men's and women's teams is dumb. This is not like the 70s. If there was a violation here it was purely technical, and comparing it to days where there was no gender equality in college sports in any semblance is, frankly asinine.

But hey, as long as the lawyers get paid ....

Reaction Score
Why have separate sports for each sex, thought Brown vs. Board of Education showed that separate but equal can't both be true by the very nature of separate? Have tryouts, whoever makes a team is on it.
Get rid of Title IX.

Reaction Score
Here is some relevant info: Jennifer Sanford is in her 24th season as the head coach of the University of Connecticut rowing program. In 2014, she led UConn to a third place finish at the American Athletic Conference Championships at Mercer County Park.

Prior to coming to UConn, Sanford was the novice women’s coach at the University of Pennsylvania, where she led the Quaker novice eight to the finals of the Eastern Sprints. In 1996 and 1997, she was the United States Junior National Development Team coach.

Sanford comes from a large coaching family. Her father, Bill Sanford, retired in 2002 after coaching the men’s crew at Syracuse University for 37 years. Her sister Kris was the head women’s rowing coach at Syracuse from 1996 to 2010. At Marist College, her cousin Tom Sanford is the Director of Rowing and Head Women’s Coach.
The bio is hanging her hat on one third place conference finish in 24 years? The UConn website has results going back as far as 08 and that is their best finish.

Reaction Score

It may be a minority but any Boneyard members who support women's crew and have the time should show up to show support for our rowing team. I can't go but I support them all the way! Go Huskies Rowing! Keep it varsity level!!

Reaction Score
UConn rowing had a strong showing on the Charles River Sunday afternoon, with the Varsity Eight and Second Varsity Eight boats posting a pair of second place finishes. The Huskies competed against Boston College and Holy Cross across three races.

Reaction Score
UConn women rowers stage protest.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
A federal judge has issued a temporary restraining order that will prevent UConn from immediately eliminating its women's rowing team as part of budget cuts in its athletic department. U.S. District Judge Stephen Underhill issued the order Wednesday, ruling that the rowers were likely to prevail in their lawsuit that alleges eliminating the team would violate Title IX, the federal law that guarantees equal access to women in education, including athletics.

Reaction Score
A federal judge has issued a temporary restraining order that will prevent UConn from immediately eliminating its women's rowing team as part of budget cuts in its athletic department. U.S. District Judge Stephen Underhill issued the order Wednesday, ruling that the rowers were likely to prevail in their lawsuit that alleges eliminating the team would violate Title IX, the federal law that guarantees equal access to women in education, including athletics.

That's truly embarrassing -- working with YOUR lawyers to do something in a manner that will comply with Title IX, and then being told by a Judge in a preliminary hearing that you're likely to lose.

Don't know the case or the law, but my Yale Law classmate Stephen Underhill is a good judge.

Reaction Score
So what other men's team needs to go to get rid of the women's rowing program? Track?
Field Hockey
Football
Men's and Womens basketball.
Men's baseball and Womens softball.
Men's and Womens soccer.
Men's and Womens hockey.
Women's lacrosse
Women's tennis?

what else is there?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
That's truly embarrassing -- working with YOUR lawyers to do something in a manner that will comply with Title IX, and then being told by a Judge in a preliminary hearing that you're likely to lose.

Don't know the case or the law, but my Yale Law classmate Stephen Underhill is a good judge.
Ladies and gentlemen, that is how you bumblebrag :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom