Lauren Gustin | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lauren Gustin

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
She would be a great fit. Sounds like she has a great motor. Rebounding also translates well at different levels of play.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She's Geno's favorite kind of player...........great basketball IQ, all hustle with the ability to finish down low in traffic with either hand...........I think she'd be very effective in Big East play but might be a bit outmatched against teams with big athletic frontcourts like South Carolina or LSU..........
I've read all of the comments in this thread. I've heard of her, but don't know any details about her other than what I've read here.
Well...since the BIG (Lauren Betts) that some of the UConn faithful wanted is no longer in the portal, IF Geno is going to use that last scholarship on a portal player, while there are other players that could also come in and fill a role, It appears to me that Lauren Gustin fits the bill. I say go for it.

Call me gun-shy, but after that fiasco of being down to 7 players during several games last year, I'd be OK with a full 15-player roster. I'm for making sure we don't visit THAT dynamic ever again. That was horrible. :confused: I would not be opposed to Lauren joining our team, especially if she wants to come. She can help us win some games. THAT friends is the bottom line.

If she comes here knowing upfront exactly what her role would be and is willing to accept it, I'd gladly welcome her with open arms. :) She's a proven veteran that you know will be ready and show up to play every game, and produce while she's on the floor. She's got lots of tape. If in doubt, just look at a few games. Her numbers speak for themselves.

As NFL Hall of Fame retired head football coach Bill Parcells once said......"You are what your record says you are." In her case, she is what her stats say she is. We need all the help we can get. Right now, we don't know for sure if any of our incoming freshmen will be ready to SIGNIFICANTLY play and consistently produce night in and night out. THAT remains to be seen. So....in the meantime, why not hedge our bet and bring a player like Lauren on board. She won't hurt us, she can only help. :cool:

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
just doesn't have MG's height............at 6'4" she would be really tough....
She is tough at 6'1". She was the nation's LEADING rebounder this past season @ 16.7 rpg. Let that sink in for a moment. No argument Charlie, but who cares how tall she is....she got the job done. She's a known commodity and she doesn't do "magic tricks." Aneesah Morrow is also only 6'1". She gets the job done too. They both regularly out-rebound taller players they are on the floor with.

Lauren Park-Lane (Seton Hall/Mississippi St) is 5'-3", plays with no fear, and will drop a 30 burger on you in the blink of an eye. There's no question what Gustin will bring to the table. The bottom line here is.......... can she help you win basketball games? :eek:

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Are any of the coaches following her on social media?
She’s following NC State and Utah on Instagram, Jeff Walz is following her on Twitter. I don’t see a UConn presence

Reaction Score
I know nothing about her or if she makes sense for UConn. Parallels are hard to make, too many different circumstances, and he is pretty much an exception, but Charles Barkley measured by size and position should not have been able to succeed in the NBA. He did have a good jumper, but he was great around the hoop. Not saying she is remotely Barkley, just I would not discount her just based on size. Of course a much taller Natalie Butler couldn’t quite translate at UConn what she did at Georgetown.
Surprised few remember some of the games where Butler contributed to UConn wins. Once Natalie got over her broken thumb, while she didn't appear to have Geno's full confidence, she came in as a sub and made significant contributions to several close wins. Would love to have someone with her rebounding and defensive skill sets on the team now.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
People need to remember that any direct talks between player and any other couching staff can't happen if the player hasn't entered the portal, so maybe she had one or two dream programs and wanted to see if the interest and situation would be a fit. Had her talks and realized the 'dream' wasn't real and removed herself from the portal.

Reaction Score
Lauren Gustin (BYU) is in the portal and there's a rumor she might be interested in UConn. Word is that Iowa and Utah are interested.

Conflicting reports on whether she has one or two years of eligibility left. She played three years at BYU.

Not sure what her role at UConn could be. She was a rebounding machine at BYU and their leading scorer, but not sure how her skills would translate in a higher level of competition. She did have double-doubles against the three ranked teams BYU played, though.
Her Role would be to replace Dorka to rebound and score. BYU is on Earth… transfers have dictated the last 5 or so NCAA Champions. We need a BIG.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
If her concern is playing time, she won't do better than BYU, especially among major contending programs. BYU will join the Big 12 this year so she'll get to show pro scouts what she can do among top competition. BYU also has just signed their best recruiting class so they should be competitive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom