Lauren Engeln is leaving too??? | The Boneyard

Lauren Engeln is leaving too???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am sorry if this has already been posted.... but we had a class of five and three left. Walker, Johnson, and now Engeln. This is not good. We are limited next year. \

Caroline- Questionable knees... hope she is okay
Heather- Questionable in general. I like her and hope she plays well
Kelly
Bria
Stef
Kalana
Kia
Brianna
and now
Breanna
Morgan
Moriah.

11 players? down to 8 after the season. And no 2013 players yet. I am nervous.

U

UCONNfan1

Long thread already on this. to answer your question tho, why is Caroline questionable? what about her are there questions about? She will be the starting PG for the rest of her career, barring another injury. When needed, Bria will switch over when CD is on the bench, and if MoJeff is ready, she'll see time as well. It would be better to keep Bria at the 2 but Geno will see how the players progress.

Caroline, I'm sure, is working on whatever the doctors/trainers have told her to work on to make her as strong and able as possible for this year. She will never be an AA or be 100% the player she was before her 3 ACL's, but I expect her to be solid.

Starters of Caroline, Bria, Kelly, KML and Stef
The bench team of Moriah, Brianna, Morgan, Bree, Kiah, and Heather would probably be ranked in the top 5 in the nation this coming year.

There is still a ton of recruiting to be done for 2013. Players see all the All Americans on the team immediately ahead of them (Bree, Morgan, Mo) and wonder where they will find PT. Just ahead of that class is the spectacular KML, and a very good Kiah and Brianna Banks. That's potentially at least 1 and maybe 2 players ahead of any kid from 2013 on the depth chart.

I find it very hard to believe that Geno won't land at least 2 from the 2013 class. I'd be lying if i said I had any idea who those 2 players might be. But the entire staff was overseas for the past 2.5 weeks. Suffice to say they will come back and hit the recruiting trail again. Perhaps Geno identified some youngsters on the foreign team who he has interest in. I have to think he wants a class of at least 3.

I won't be worried till I actually hear Geno say "We have been unable to land any of our top targets from 2013 so we are looking to fill 3 spots with walk ons"...

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Geno likes our chances this year. We have a strong group returning, and a pretty spectacular looking group of freshmen, who I believe, are playing USA basketball in Puerto Rico right now.

I double ditto UCONNfan1 for 2013...and let's enjoy what is about to come this year before we start worrying about 2013.

And maybe we could let Geno, CD, Marisssa and Shea get back from London and have a nap or two before we push them out on the road recruiting. They've been a little busy, don't cha think? ;)

Reaction Score
How many meaningful minutes do you think Lauren was going to see this season? I liked her and was hoping that she could develop into a Megan Gardler-type, but that was appearing more doubtful. I think they'll be fine.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ain't worried about this year at all. Next year......maybe.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I am sorry if this has already been posted.... but we had a class of five and three left. Walker, Johnson, and now Engeln. This is not good. We are limited next year. \

comeon.gif

Reaction Score
geno has had to work hard in the past to get to even an 8 player rotation. assuming that buck's time will be very limited, how is geno going to be able to rotate 10 players this season, and keep people happy? i don't think there's been nearly the quality 10 deep in the past. seems like kelli and caroline might be losing minutes. i don't picture many of these players as cheerleading, high fivers. i think that the coaches really have their work cut out for them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
geno has had to work hard in the past to get to even an 8 player rotation. assuming that buck's time will be very limited, how is geno going to be able to rotate 10 players this season, and keep people happy? i don't think there's been nearly the quality 10 deep in the past. seems like kelli and caroline might be losing minutes. i don't picture many of these players as cheerleading, high fivers. i think that the coaches really have their work cut out for them.
I think he just got some good practice with a 10-12 player rotation! Don't think he will have any trouble with Uconn.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Did you happen to watch the 2001-2 season?

U

UCONNfan1

Boon - why do you think the coaches "have their work cut out for them"? The kids who are recruited to UCONN (and admittedly I have no idea what Geno says to them when they chat) are generally told "you earn playing time in practice. There is no guarantee that you will ever be a starter or average "X" minutes per game".

And the kids he generally recruits are not the kind of kids who care much about individual accolades or personal accomplishments. They seem mostly to care about being great teammates, and winning a boatload of BE and NCAA championships.

Why should this year be any different? Do you get the sense that he's recruited kids who are more interested in personal glory? Most of the kids who have left in the past 10 years were not top 20 kids - Phillips, Johnson, and Engeln. Besides the entire class from 2003, Walker is the only top player who stuck it out for part of a year and decided for personal reasons she needed to be closer to home.

I get the sense that the 8 returning players are very close and have great chemistry and i've read nothing about the 3 incoming freshmen that give me any pause for concern.

Geno has his work cut out for him every year. The expectations by the fans are sky high. It's no secret that UCONN is THE premier hoops program in the country and while other teams recently (Duke, aTm, Baylor, Stanford, and Notre Dame) have had their time at or near the top, there is no team that can match UCONN over the past 15 years, or for the forseeable future. Good times, amigo. Enjoy the ride while it lasts...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Geno has his work cut out for him? HA!

The people who really have their work cut out for them are named McGraw, Mulkey, Walz, Stringer, McCallie, Bruno, Elliott et al. They must first identify matchups for Stefanie, Bria, and Kaleena and then figure what to do when Stewart, Stokes, and Tuck come on the court.

And I forgot Caroline, Kelly, Banks, Jefferson and Buck.

So who has their work cut out for them? Geno? I don't think so.

Reaction Score
Did you happen to watch the 2001-2 season?
that team had a starting team unlike any in the history of women's basketball. i think the quality of this team 6-10 will be greater by mid-season than that team. if you don't, then there is no reason for you to consider how geno will run a 10 player rotation.

Reaction Score
Geno has his work cut out for him? HA!

The people who really have their work cut out for them are named McGraw, Mulkey, Walz, Stringer, McCallie, Bruno, Elliott et al. They must first identify matchups for Stefanie, Bria, and Kaleena and then figure what to do when Stewart, Stokes, and Tuck come on the court.

And I forgot Caroline, Kelly, Banks, Jefferson and Buck.

So who has their work cut out for them? Geno? I don't think so.

it's ok that you forgot caroline, kelly, banks, jefferson, and buck. more importantly, though, the coaches must find a way to not forget them. and that will take some work.

Reaction Score
Boon - why do you think the coaches "have their work cut out for them"? The kids who are recruited to UCONN (and admittedly I have no idea what Geno says to them when they chat) are generally told "you earn playing time in practice. There is no guarantee that you will ever be a starter or average "X" minutes per game".

And the kids he generally recruits are not the kind of kids who care much about individual accolades or personal accomplishments. They seem mostly to care about being great teammates, and winning a boatload of BE and NCAA championships.

Why should this year be any different? Do you get the sense that he's recruited kids who are more interested in personal glory? Most of the kids who have left in the past 10 years were not top 20 kids - Phillips, Johnson, and Engeln. Besides the entire class from 2003, Walker is the only top player who stuck it out for part of a year and decided for personal reasons she needed to be closer to home.

I get the sense that the 8 returning players are very close and have great chemistry and i've read nothing about the 3 incoming freshmen that give me any pause for concern.

Geno has his work cut out for him every year. The expectations by the fans are sky high. It's no secret that UCONN is THE premier hoops program in the country and while other teams recently (Duke, aTm, Baylor, Stanford, and Notre Dame) have had their time at or near the top, there is no team that can match UCONN over the past 15 years, or for the forseeable future. Good times, amigo. Enjoy the ride while it lasts...

the 3 frosh probably could start for most any team in the country. and there are 5 players back who have been starters, plus banks and stokes. and you don't think that this presents a unique situation ? it's a great situation to be in , but presents a special challenge. my post simply asks for thoughts on this from the boneyard. but if people think that it will be business as usual this season, so be it. i don't think that geno has been particularly adept in the past at getting meaningful minutes for more than maybe 7 players, so i'm really curious to see how he will handle this group.

Reaction Score
So boon -Do you believe Geno keeps players out of games that have demonstrated proficiency in practice? Exactly how many more games would UCONN have won if Geno had implemented (your) system of putting players into games even though they had not demonstrated proper play in practice?

Reaction Score
So boon -Do you believe Geno keeps players out of games that have demonstrated proficiency in practice? Exactly how many more games would UCONN have won if Geno had implemented (your) system of putting players into games even though they had not demonstrated proper play in practice?

It is also possible, if not likely, that another reason Lauren left was because she bought into the " proper play in practice" would equate eventually into more quality PT.

IMHO, Lauren was an excellent example of a very competitive athlete who changed her game to fit into the " proper play in practice" tradition, would equate eventually into more quality PT at UConn. Unfortunately, for her, it didn't work out.

IMO, the previous Poster maybe onto something. I just don't see our incoming freshmen buying into cheerleader roles if they are better than returning players. (And don't forget that Morgan Tuck has hinted her reluctance to sit when/if she outperforms other players at her position on the court.)

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
It is also possible, if not likely, that another reason Lauren left was because she bought into the " proper play in practice" would equate eventually into more quality PT.

IMHO, Lauren was an excellent example of a very competitive athlete who changed her game to fit into the " proper play in practice" tradition, would equate eventually into more quality PT at UConn. Unfortunately, for her, it didn't work out.

IMO, the previous Poster maybe onto something. I just don't see our incoming freshmen buying into cheerleader roles if they are better than returning players. (And don't forget that Morgan Tuck has hinted her reluctance to sit when/if she outperforms other players at her position on the court.)

Peace,

John Fryer

I can't see Coach sitting a player that's performing in practice...they'll get their minutes. I equally can't see the caliber of player he recruits sitting while players they've routinely out performed in practice get more minutes...Morgan Tuck or anyone else.

We lose a lot of players because Geno tells them it's a meritocracy and you compete for playing time...no guaranteed minutes. The ones that want guarantees don't sign up...the ones that wind up be getting beat out in practice often transfer. The ones that play demonstrate the superiority of Geno's system.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
the 3 frosh probably could start for most any team in the country. and there are 5 players back who have been starters, plus banks and stokes. and you don't think that this presents a unique situation ? it's a great situation to be in , but presents a special challenge. my post simply asks for thoughts on this from the boneyard. but if people think that it will be business as usual this season, so be it. i don't think that geno has been particularly adept in the past at getting meaningful minutes for more than maybe 7 players, so i'm really curious to see how he will handle this group.

What if some players don't get meaningful minutes (whatever that is) and what does that have to do with Engeln's situation? What's the risk that you see? Are you suggesting that the situations with Engeln and Johnson are relevant to the players on this year's roster?

As you can tell from my questions, I'm struggling to understand the relevance of Engeln's minutes and her transferring to this year's roster and playing time. The issue for Engeln and Michala Johnson is that they didn't believe they were likely to play meaningful minutes for the next two years and they were correct. Do you seriously think Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson don't believe they'll play meaningful minutes in their UConn careers regardless of how many they play as freshman? Stokes already played meaningful minutes as a freshman and the future looks bright for her. If Banks develops the way the coaches hope (and expect from all accounts) the opportunity will be there for her as well.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Define "meaningful minutes". For the team, just a wild guess, but here's a possible breakdown of average minutes...

Doty 17
Hartley 24
Faris 23
KML 24
Dolson 23
Jefferson 12
Banks 12
Tuck 17
Stewart 22
Stokes 20
Buck 6

Just wild guesses but my point is freshmen should be ok with getting 10-15 minutes, and for Tuck and Stewart, closer, or even over, 20 minutes. I put Doty's minutes as less but who knows? and with Doty, Faris and Buck leaving this year, that's over 45 minutes avail for next year also. Anyway, i'm sure you could take away from some and add to others. There will be LOTS of blowout games. To me that seems like plenty of minutes for everyone. If your goal is simply to get more minutes or put up a lot of points, you won't last very long at UCONN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom