Lauren Cox: game results, recruiting news | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Lauren Cox: game results, recruiting news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Her parents really enjoyed the Tennessee visit, and we very complimentary of the coaching staff and atmosphere on campus. Their comments on the facilities were very gracious.

That being said, I'm sure the same was said about the previous schools while visiting.

This is yet another manifestation of the thoughtful approach the Cox family has taken for probably about the past two years. Something like this:
Field and file all incoming letters of interest;
Politely and publicly (in consultation with a close-knit team of, say, coaches, guidance counselors, etc.) reduce the list of suitors to about 25;
Develop a check list of all pertinent evaluation factors (e.g., academics, coaches, campus life, geography, etc.) with some sense of priorities;
Research all on the list and cut it some more;
Develop a schedule of home visits that does not overwhelm the family or interfere with Lauren's athletic or academic development;
Boil the final list down to five and politely but pointedly shoo all others away;
Schedule five official visits and take them - be polite, non-committal and gracious to all hosts;
Finally, in close consultation with most wise and trusted advisers, DECIDE! (and politely thank the four also rans).​

Lauren is entering the home stretch and will surely make a wise and thoughtful decision.

And go on to glory somewhere.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kib - nice post. She and her family 9and advisors have handled this as well as any top recruit I have seen - very quietly going about the evaluation process and pretty much only speaking up to dispel unwarranted rumors. No idea where she is headed, but think it will be a thoughtful decision.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hey, isn't this a place to float opinions--or is there a handbook I need to read before offering one? I've been watching the Huskies from the time of Geno's advent; I can't get enough of them. As for making suggestions to the coach: that was a joke, bro. The cold weather comment I read; where I don't remember, but I certainly didn't make it up. If it's a problem for Lauren, I'll buy her the winter coat of her choice. Anything for the blue.
Just FYI - if your question about a 'handbook' was serious, there is a pinned thread at the top with 'Links to blogs, Board Rules, etc. And there is a Board Rules link there that is a good thing to read. Mostly common sense, but gets into some of the civilizing rules that keep this place readable.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
We tend to forget,as basketball fans,that choosing a college or university has more to do than with being a basketball star,or,being honed into one.Education,particularly what the girl is seeking,as to a career,has to weigh heavily into her decision.There is no guarantee,no matter how talented one is,sports-wise,that one will go on to a long professional career,no matter who the coach(coaches)is/are.Injury,and other factors must be taken into consideration,which may derail any chance of furthering your sport's life.Fortunately,Connecticut has very good academics,which are getting better and better,and it may all come down to which school offers the best classes designed for the outside sports career she is looking for.Most of the schools Lauren is looking at, may or may not offer the avenue that she wishes to travel.
However,I would think education,then her sport,then the weather,in that order,would bring her to her decision.
Some would say closeness to home will be a factor,and it may be a weighing factor,but,I would think it will also take a back seat to education and her sport.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As for making suggestions to the coach: that was a joke.
As was my entire response to you post. Welcome aboard. FYI Lauren will not need you to buy her a coat since that would put her eligibility into question. When she comes to UCONN just enjoy the show and keep those "suggestions" to Geno coming.

Reaction Score
There is no handbook, but given the Boneyard's love of grammar, I would keep a copy of Strunk & White nearby at all times. ;)

Hope this site isn't as unfriendly as the ESPN site can be. I'm thinking we're mostly like-minded folks here. As for the grammar comment, I've been teaching the subject for 50 years. I think I've got a handle on it. But even the grammatically-challenged can patch together an idea, and few contribute their thoughts in order to receive a grade on grammar, punctuation, or spelling.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hope this site isn't as unfriendly as the ESPN site can be. I'm thinking we're mostly like-minded folks here. As for the grammar comment, I've been teaching the subject for 50 years. I think I've got a handle on it. But even the grammatically-challenged can patch together an idea, and few contribute their thoughts in order to receive a grade on grammar, punctuation, or spelling.
Welcome, by the way. Always good to have new blood, even if it turns out to be 'old blood' (as your 50 years of teaching suggests!:))

It is a much better regulated site than any ESPN site with very good and active moderators - flame wars are discouraged, threads that spiral into dangerous areas are locked or deleted. And some of the posters are actually coherent, insightful (and not incite-ful!), and knowledgeable - for the rest of us we struggle along!:)

Oh, and Kib will appreciate another grammarian on the board!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Hope this site isn't as unfriendly as the ESPN site xxx xx. Ixx thinkxxx we're mostly like-minded folks here. As for the grammar comment, I've been teaching the subject for 50 years. I think I've got a handle on it. But even the grammatically-challenged can patch together an idea, and few contribute their thoughts in order to receive a grade on grammar, punctuation, or spelling.

Ahem.

Welcome.;)

Reaction Score
I agree: no way Cox sits and no way KLS sits this year. Best starting roster right now: Mo, Kia, Bre, Morgan, and KLS. W/out Bre next year, look for Cox to start. Much as I like and appreciate Gabby, she has a very limited game. Soniya has proven invaluable as a sub. For this season expect Collier and DJ to come off the bench (after Chong). If Geno plays to keep playing up-tempo, Butler could hope to be the next Stokes, w/out the foot speed. Personally, I expect Collier to become a superstar before she leaves Storrs.

I don't think KLS starts. Geno didn't even start Maya until he had too. I think because NB has had a year of practice and - just a wild guess- I think NB is more "methodical" like Dolson, I think team starts NB to pound inside early. Then use his bench to push pace. Having NB come off the bench, you may be slowing pace. With this potential prolific/athletic bench - I think Butler coming off bench would cramp that. Have NB start and have UCON look to pound/establish the paint. Then bring in the prolific/ athletic wings. You will change pace making it faster without a doubt.

Reaction Score

How long ago were you on the espn board? That was closed a long time ago, wasn't it?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I don't think KLS starts. Geno didn't even start Maya until he had too. I think because NB has had a year of practice and - just a wild guess- I think NB is more "methodical" like Dolson, I think team starts NB to pound inside early. Then use his bench to push pace. Having NB come off the bench, you may be slowing pace. With this potential prolific/athletic bench - I think Butler coming off bench would cramp that. Have NB start and have UCON look to pound/establish the paint. Then bring in the prolific/ athletic wings. You will change pace making it faster without a doubt.
Good points. This is the scenario I would most like to see.

Reaction Score

Good points. Geno will have to decide if he's going to maintain the up-tempo game he played last year or go back to the center-distributes system he used so well with Stef. I'm guessing that he'll go up-tempo, which means that Butler won't start (most games). Also, KLS has a better chance of replacing KML's points. If Lou can be an effective rebounder in the mode of Bre, she'll give the team all of what Kaleena provided with the addition of much more foot speed and superior hops. KML sometimes was played as a guard; Lou will be an improvement in that role, too.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
At the present, Lou does. So does Bre and so did Stokes.

Cox is bigger than those three, supposedly. I should've been more specific and narrowed it down to centers.

Reaction Score
Good points. Geno will have to decide if he's going to maintain the up-tempo game he played last year or go back to the center-distributes system he used so well with Stef. I'm guessing that he'll go up-tempo, which means that Butler won't start (most games). Also, KLS has a better chance of replacing KML's points. If Lou can be an effective rebounder in the mode of Bre, she'll give the team all of what Kaleena provided with the addition of much more foot speed and superior hops. KML sometimes was played as a guard; Lou will be an improvement in that role, too.

I hear ya - in general this year won't matter who starts anyways but here is why I think it will be NB:

1--- Geno won't have to decide between up-tempo or center-distribution/methodical if he starts NB - because he has sr MoJeff, super-soph Nurse,-- and Stewie or even Tuck will get up the court quicker than KML. UCONN won't have to be faster than the other team to play quick enough and play with pace. So there will be no "decision" - he'll just play at a quick pace. He won't go with a center-distributes system. NB is playing with four other all-americans. Yes Nurse will be an a/a.

2--- I don't see NB getting huge minutes even if she starts.

3--- Dolson was a huge part of the offense. IMO NB won't her 1st year. That's not to say she will be irrelevant- just that Geno won't play her 25 minutes. That's why we're not going to be methodical/ center-distribute- because we have better options with our tremendous guards and I expect Stewie and Tuck will have elevated their perimeter games. And I don't think a young NB is as good as Dolson - yet. SO imo no way we are going to build around her like we did with Dolson.

4-- The tremendous guards will lead fastbreaks when they can.,. Once the fastbreak gets stopped - the ball will be worked inside.

5--- IMO Chong does not play fast at the pg position. If you have NB come off the bench with Chong the game slows. So you play with a ton of pace early then your top subs slow the game down? That's what I think would inevitably happen. Thus, I don't see Geno allowing that when he doesn't have to. NB does not change the tempo of the game. She would be nothing more than a figurehead if she were to come off the bench. I don't believe that's why Geno got her. They got her to impact the game in a physical manner. I don't think that can be done as well if she were to come off the bench.

6-- Geno loves a 6th man to change the tempo - or add explosiveness off the bench. He had Sales comes off the bench her frosh year though she was better than one of the starters. He had Tina come off the bench her soph year despite Tina being a 3rd team a/a and being named all-big east AND getting 1st team in the Big East Tourney. He had Maya come off the bench when she started though she was best player on the team. He had MoJeff come off the bench instead of Doty until ND forced his hand. IMO Geno will go with less explosive but maybe more steady to start which imo will be Butler.

Last edited:

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be at all surprised,and I predict,that Natalie Butler will,not only be very good in all parts of her game by the end of the regular season,she will thrive in the NCAA tournament,and will be a difference maker in one of the games thereof.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
We are now a few weeks away from First Night, after which meaningful practice (all players and all coaches participating) begins. If Geno himself were asked, "Who will start?." his answer would probably be something like, "I don't know yet."

And neither do we.

But is sure fun to speculate. And cogitate. Even pontificate. But not regurgitate.

My very confident prediction? A bit unsure which five girls will be on the floor for the opening tipoff (any game) but I remain absolutely certain that CD, Shea, Marisa and Rosemary will be on the bench,

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think we may be surprised at how well Butler runs the floor - obviously not Moriah like, but she has been in training for a full year with the staff, and practicing as well. I think she came into Uconn in better shape than Stef did, and I suspect that has improved since she arrived. She had no games to look forward to, and I am guessing she took that frustration out in the training room!

I also suspect that if you could listen into the coaches room, they already know who they think will be starting game 1 - it can change during the preseason practice, but I think they have a tentative plan in place.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

It has been my observation that the desires of posters on this board often bear no direct connection to the type and/or content of the replies and comments their posts elicit.

Welcome!

Reaction Score
I think we may be surprised at how well Butler runs the floor - obviously not Moriah like, but she has been in training for a full year with the staff, and practicing as well. I think she came into Uconn in better shape than Stef did, and I suspect that has improved since she arrived. She had no games to look forward to, and I am guessing she took that frustration out in the training room!

I also suspect that if you could listen into the coaches room, they already know who they think will be starting game 1 - it can change during the preseason practice, but I think they have a tentative plan in place.

UC - IMHO you are dead on!! Stef was still a little pudgy (baby fat) at the start of Soph year. Agree that Butler came into UConn in a little better shape. According to interviews last year, Butler took a giant step in the right direction and knew (she said) that getting in top shape was vital. In addition, she had 5 more months to improve before first practice. Based on that, Butler is way ahead of Stef on day one Soph season.
Your part two seems to be an easy logical conclusion. A good coach has to have a tentative starting 5 in mind for day one of practice. Day one scenario--Ok who should we put out there for our first team drill? Who cares? Just give me anyone. NOT.
Butler has been seen, thought about, and a preliminary decision is made about the offense and defense that will include Butler. There is no way --sight unseen at the college level--that a new frosh (with this current team) would be put into that slot immediately. Chong is not an option. Only Gabby might have been thought about--but where to place her without liabilities. Butler is the day one practice starter and will be there until she does not function at the level Geno wants. Just like Chong last year. Chong had the spot and Nurse was the back-up plan.
There is much more mystery around the question--Who immediately steps in if Butler does not produce? Different players really can change the offense or defense dramatically. Last year, from Chong to Nurse was an easy transition in regards to running the same schemes.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
There is no handbook, but given the Boneyard's love of grammar, I would keep a copy of Strunk & White nearby at all times. ;)

The BY loves thumbing its collective nose at one of Strunk's prime directives:

". . . Omit needless words!"

:p

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The BY loves thumbing its collective nose at one of Strunk's prime directives:

". . . Omit needless words!"

:p

Oh, I don't know. Some Boneyarders are Hemingwayesque in their brevity being the soul of wit.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe it just me but but I was a little surprised by this statement from the article:

"There are a lot of coaches that do a lot with the top recruits," "Jeff hasn't had the top recruits until now and he's already been to (two) championship games and to Final Fours. It shows us that he can do it without the talent, now what happens when he gets the talent."
Dennis Cox ( Father of Lauren Cox).

When has Jeff never had top talent on the Louisville roster?

Shoni, Bria Smith, Hammond all top 10 recruits.
Hines-Allen, Moore, Brackemyre all top 40 & same class.
Emmonnie Henderson top 30.
Slaugheter & Vails top 30.
In each of the last two tournaments Louisville has been a # 3 seed and been beaten by a lower seed Dayton-#7 and Maryland-#4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom