Launch BoneyardMD. Alex Karaban's Ankle and Recovery. Have at it. | The Boneyard

Launch BoneyardMD. Alex Karaban's Ankle and Recovery. Have at it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Do your thing BY.

Is it a rolled ankle? A sprain? A strain?
Lower leg injury? Ankle injury? Foot injury?
X-ray or MRI?
Ice? Heat? Rest? Walking boot? Knee scooter?
How should UConn treat this based on your own experiences? (Not your medical experience, your YMCA or intramural experience as a "player". )
What's the recovery timeline?
Discuss HIPAA.
These are college kids, not pros. Leave them alone.
Why is this the fault of Donny Marshall?

Reaction Score
I’ll get this moving. Rub some dirt on It.

I hope he spent the night with his foot/ankle in an ice bath and he will be good for Saturday. If not he sits. We have more important games coming up in March/April.

Reaction Score
I'm a bit scared that Hurley said his foot was swollen. I hope it's not a bone bruise because that can take months to heal. That wouldn't show up on an x-ray, he'd had to get an MRI to rule that out

Reaction Score
Minor roll, I knew when I saw him going straight to the locker room they were just taping it up. Played and shot like nothing happened upon returning.

The inventor of the RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) method, along with more recent research, has come out and said that ice actually slows the recovery process; it only relieves symptoms. The swelling is a necessary inflammatory response as part of the recovery process and icing only hinders that. So if the pain doesn’t hinder performance (didn’t seem to last night) I would hope they aren’t icing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Minor roll, I knew when I saw him going straight to the locker room they were just taping it up. Played and shot like nothing happened upon returning.

The inventor of the RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) method, along with more recent research, has come out and said that ice actually slows the recovery process; it only relieves symptoms. The swelling is a necessary inflammatory response as part of the recovery process and icing only hinders that. So if the pain doesn’t hinder performance (didn’t seem to last night) I would hope they aren’t icing.
I know a twisted ankle is a completely different thing but I wonder how the new thinking relates to post match exertion from normal exercise. Compression, rest, ice baths are what players use after a normal game, and you see it all the way down at the youth level.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
IMG_7516.gif

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

What about elevation, which arguably does the same thing?

Reaction Score
Clearly a rolled ankle. Hit or miss for Saturday. It sounds bad but conceding an L in the coming weeks before the tournament is inevitable. Let’s do it when we’re dinged. AK also comes across as a fast healer. Remember the shot to the head he took last week.

Reaction Score
RICE is protocol.
No way your getting AK off the court.Gamer like the rest of his teammates. This team is on a mission.

Reaction Score
he looked fine drilling a long range 3 when he came back in. Maybe soreness today but hopefully he can rest it a bit before Saturday
Not sure about that. Looked like a serious roll. I’m sure he’s feeling worse today than last night. Hope for the best.

Reaction Score
Athletic trainer here, obviously they didn't disclose anything but watching it, it looks like a typical ankle sprain, if they're saying he has swelling in his foot, that's most likely due to gravity since he played on it immediately with no elevation. They took him in the back and most likely gave him an injection for the pain and taped him up real good, the thing to worry about is a high ankle sprain but the mechanism didn't really look that way, looked to be a textbook ATF and/or CF ankle sprain. Obviously I could be wrong since I'm not Hands-On with him and or seen any Diagnostics.

Reaction Score
Clearly a rolled ankle. Hit or miss for Saturday. It sounds bad but conceding an L in the coming weeks before the tournament is inevitable. Let’s do it when we’re dinged. AK also comes across as a fast healer. Remember the shot to the head he took last week.
who are we conceding to?

Reaction Score
Huh? We only lost one game without Castle and we only lost one game without DC. If AK has to sit out on Saturday, why in the world would we be conceiving that game?

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Nostradamus here.

He'll be a bit more swollen and sore today, but the fact that he came back and moved the way he did after the sprain bodes well. Prediction: He'll play this weekend with it taped.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom