Launch BoneyardMD. Alex Karaban's Ankle and Recovery. Have at it. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Launch BoneyardMD. Alex Karaban's Ankle and Recovery. Have at it.

Reaction Score
Ankles are weird, I have thin ankles and twist them a lot but for some reason they're incredibly resilient. My last one was a month ago when I twisted it very badly and fell down an entire flight of stairs luckily getting my arms out right before my face hit the slate floor. My ankle was twitching and hurt for about 5 minutes and then nothing.

It's hard to tell just from seeing an ankle twist/roll, sometimes it looks awful and the player bounces right back. AK's didn't look too bad and they put him back in after not too long in the locker room. With a knee injury you know right away.

Reaction Score
If it was that serious why would they let him back in the game?
Not a can’t even put weight on his foot serious but rather ballooning up overnight and more pain today. When he rolled it, he had it taped up and roughed it out. Today, he might even be able to put on a shoe.

Reaction Score
Not a can’t even put weight on his foot serious but rather ballooning up overnight and more pain today. When he rolled it, he had it taped up and roughed it out. Today, he might even be able to put on a shoe.
Not even

Reaction Score
The Huskies will know more about Karaban’s injury after he gets X-rays on Thursday. It was a good sign that he played 34 minutes overall and finished with 12 points.

“It was pretty swollen,” Hurley said of Karaban’s ankle. “But he’s the toughest guy, man. A real gamer.”

Reaction Score
Aspirin, the wonder drug, thins the blood, improves circulation promotes healing. Give him two. Two Utah, two.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Unless he can't walk, you let him give it a go against the Johnnies.
Next three games after SJU are home against Butler and on the road against Gtown and DePaul. There's two whole weeks between SJU on Saturday and home against Marquette on the 17th. He can get fully healed over that time period.

Reaction Score
He hit a few 3's and also took someone off the dribble for 2, as I recall.

Yes, it'll feel worse today than yesterday, but I would be surprised if he didn't play on Saturday.

I suspect the x-ray is just for "let's confirm it isn't broken and you can't do any further damage and we'll go with it based on how you feel."

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Aspirin, the wonder drug, thins the blood, improves circulation promotes healing. Give him two. Two Utah, two.

IMG_7519.gif

Reaction Score
I know a twisted ankle is a completely different thing but I wonder how the new thinking relates to post match exertion from normal exercise. Compression, rest, ice baths are what players use after a normal game, and you see it all the way down at the youth level.
“old wisdom” can be very hard to break.

It may shock you how out of touch people are able/allowed to become in the (sports) medicine world. As a speech pathologist, I’m required by my governing body and the state I hold my professional license to get at least 15 hours of relevant continuing education done per year. I have no idea what is required of doctors (@Doctor Hoop please chime in) but sometimes I have been shocked in the medical facilities I’ve worked what some doctors still believe.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I thought the PC player unnecessarily stepped under him on that move by AK. He wasn't in the rebound position.
yes...it looked like the PC player was casually stepping into the vicinity but his right foot was stuck out further and was what Alex turned the ankle on

Reaction Score
What about elevation, which arguably does the same thing?
Not sure how well it’s been studied. I know the mechanism is different though. As I’m sure you know, the ice constricts blood vessels. This is what reduces inflammation and thus pain/swelling symptoms, by disallowing the macrophages to come in and clear out the injury; this is what is now understood to slow the healing process.

Elevation doesn’t mechanically (as does ice and blood vessel constriction) restrict flow to the damaged area, but of course gravity via elevation may similarly disallow that process to occur. Hard to say; I’m really not privy to any research on that, and I’m just going off of a highly regarded physical therapist I follow on IG

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
If I was in charge

Attachments

• IMG_6251.jpeg
    IMG_6251.jpeg
    472.2 KB · Views: 63
Reaction Score
Drum roll for Roumoglou.

Anyone at the game who sat a few rows in back of the bench or was in earshot of the conversation between Doran and Alex?
If so, what did you hear?

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
“old wisdom” can be very hard to break.

It may shock you how out of touch people are able/allowed to become in the (sports) medicine world. As a speech pathologist, I’m required by my governing body and the state I hold my professional license to get at least 15 hours of relevant continuing education done per year. I have no idea what is required of doctors (@Doctor Hoop please chime in) but sometimes I have been shocked in the medical facilities I’ve worked what some doctors still believe.
The states where I'm licensed require 100 hours of continuing education over 2 years, although one of them allows more "self education" reading journal articles, but still wants at least 60 hours. The AAOS requires 240 hours over 5 years (of which 40 have to be online tests) followed by annual "Maintenance of Certification" tests for 5 years that you have to pass to avoid taking a four hour online test to keep your certificate. So there's that.

The states also have annual 3 hour requirements for pain medication management and there are one-time requirements for things like domestic abuse, child abuse, and elder care.

Reaction Score
If he has to do a Willis Reed I want him in the game Sat.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Ankles are weird, I have thin ankles and twist them a lot but for some reason they're incredibly resilient. My last one was a month ago when I twisted it very badly and fell down an entire flight of stairs luckily getting my arms out right before my face hit the slate floor. My ankle was twitching and hurt for about 5 minutes and then nothing.

It's hard to tell just from seeing an ankle twist/roll, sometimes it looks awful and the player bounces right back. AK's didn't look too bad and they put him back in after not too long in the locker room. With a knee injury you know right away.
I must say I had to laugh when I read about your resilient ankles! Was the rest of your body as resilient after falling down the flight of stares!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom