Latest WNBA player transactions | The Boneyard

Latest WNBA player transactions

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Karlie Samuelson released the Sparks Monday. Schimmel (Aces), waived. I think we have seen the last of Shoni in the W.

Link

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You would think that but she's all but immobile. Those breaks would be awfully short.

If you wrap those blows around a TV time out, they can be as long as 6 minutes. You're correct. Russell has never been accused of running the floor well. :confused:

Reaction Score
You know, in the last Liberty game she played in, I saw her move up and down the floor faster than she ever did at TN. Maybe that part of her makeup has changed.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Karlie Samuelson released the Sparks Monday. Schimmel (Aces), waived. I think we have seen the last of Shoni in the W.

Link

Surprised Samuelson made a team in the first place. Never saw her as a WNBA caliber player. I’d love for Shoni to make it in the league because she has such a large fan base and can bring more exposure to the sport, but she’s never struck me as a player who has an immense drive or focus to be the best she can.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think for Russell. Seattle makes more since than NY.
Totally. NY has Charles, Vaughn, Stokes and Zauie already on board. Seattle has... Courtney Paris. Literally the only player over 6'2" not named Stewie. I think it's the perfect place for her to be successful, if she will be in the WNBA. Even a die hard Tenn fan has to admit it's sad to see the former #1 player out of HS finish up her Tennessee career and go 10th in the 2nd round (18th overall) to a team loaded at her position.

Since I don't follow Tenn like their fans do, what do the fans think? Was she not developed? Over rated in the first place? Lacked effort and drive? Something else?

Seattle needed height in the worst way. I'm not a fan of 5'11" Alysha Clark as a starter for them. Maybe put in Paris, or Canada, or even Russell and let Bird, Stewie and Loyd do their things...

I do think Natasha Howard will flourish there too. She's the 3rd leading scorer on their team, was a top 3 kid coming out of HS, but was at FSU when they got almost no national attention, so she didn't seem to be a "really well known" entity when she was drafted, and hasn't made a big splash yet in the WNBA... she played for Indiana 2 years and Minny 2 years and averaged just over 5 PPG in 4 seasons. Now it's skyrocketed to over 14PPG this year for the Storm.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Totally. NY has Charles, Vaughn, Stokes and Zauie already on board. Seattle has... Courtney Paris. Literally the only player over 6'2" not named Stewie. I think it's the perfect place for her to be successful, if she will be in the WNBA. Even a die hard Tenn fan has to admit it's sad to see the former #1 player out of HS finish up her Tennessee career and go 10th in the 2nd round (18th overall) to a team loaded at her position.

Since I don't follow Tenn like their fans do, what do the fans think? Was she not developed? Over rated in the first place? Lacked effort and drive? Something else?

Seattle needed height in the worst way. I'm not a fan of 5'11" Alysha Clark as a starter for them. Maybe put in Paris, or Canada, or even Russell and let Bird, Stewie and Loyd do their things...

I do think Natasha Howard will flourish there too. She's the 3rd leading scorer on their team, was a top 3 kid coming out of HS, but was at FSU when they got almost no national attention, so she didn't seem to be a "really well known" entity when she was drafted, and hasn't made a big splash yet in the WNBA... she played for Indiana 2 years and Minny 2 years and averaged just over 5 PPG in 4 seasons. Now it's skyrocketed to over 14PPG this year for the Storm.
Here's my view. This was also a deep draft class. Russell first year I give her a pass because of her feet. Second year playing I think was a adjustment. Because of she hadn't played, and because her feet were better. I think it took a bit of time. Then she got better latter in the year. The last couple of years. I think she did play pretty well. One think I think would have helped. Is having a better shooting from the outside. I am talking team. Then teams wouldn't been packing in on Mercedes on defense. So it's not just on Mercedes. Who had a good career at Tennessee. I think she will do good in Seattle they have Strewart. Russell adds more size and rebounds. I think this helps the team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Karlie was “released.” Other players were “waived.” What’s the difference?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Here's my view. This was also a deep draft class. Russell first year I give her a pass because of her feet. Second year playing I think was a adjustment. Because of she hadn't played, and because her feet were better. I think it took a bit of time. Then she got better latter in the year. The last couple of years. I think she did play pretty well. One think I think would have helped. Is having a better shooting from the outside. I am talking team. Then teams wouldn't been packing in on Mercedes on defense. So it's not just on Mercedes. Who had a good career at Tennessee. I think she will do good in Seattle they have Strewart. Russell adds more size and rebounds. I think this helps the team.

Until I see otherwise, she reminds me of Carolyn Swords. Size yes but does not use it well. I do not see her making a real impact on the boards or as a rim protector but I assume she should have a little more offensive impact then Swords but I need to see it. But I agree, it is about as good a place as possible for her to land and grow into a decent backup.

Reaction Score

Russell’s coach...end of story

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I am not exactly sure but will guess there is a format as to who might get Karlie if she is waived. I am guessing if she was released she is free to chose who she wants, or maybe not wants, to go to or contact.
I am willing to guess :rolleyes: Karlie might be back with the Sparks once the Cap issues are done.

Reaction Score
Surprised Samuelson made a team in the first place. Never saw her as a WNBA caliber player. I’d love for Shoni to make it in the league because she has such a large fan base and can bring more exposure to the sport, but she’s never struck me as a player who has an immense drive or focus to be the best she can.

That’s the thing she has proved last preseason and this preseason with the sparks she can 100% play in the WNBA, both season she could have made the team, last season she would have made the team per the coach but she broke her foot the last preseason game, this season also could have made the team, sparks just had no space to sign her. The coach even said after they waived her this season they want her long-term, so if no other team snags her this season, sparks will definitely try to sign her.

Reaction Score
You know, in the last Liberty game she played in, I saw her move up and down the floor faster than she ever did at TN. Maybe that part of her makeup has changed.
I had the same impression. Wow! She's running full speed and looking pretty good. She definitely has the potential and I think she might live up to it.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I think for Russell. Seattle makes more since than NY.
Russell’s coach...end of story

This 100%. Holly might be the worst developer of talent WCBB has ever seen. She hasn't produced any AP All Americans while landing top kids every year. Sure, Russell had injuries and took a bit to get going, but she was never challenged at UT nor did her coach demand more from her. Had Russell gone to Louisville or Oregon State for example, I think she would've become a much better player than she did at Tennessee. She still has good touch and is 6-6 with a big strong frame...those don't grow on trees. If she gets pushed hard by a good coach and gets experience in Seattle, I still think she can be a serviceable player in the pros.

Worth noting too, 2013 was also a deep class but it was not top heavy. Almost all of the top 20 players were underwhelming to an extent. Only 1 player in the Hoopgurlz top 20 went on to earn AP AA Honors (Lexie Brown made 3rd team three years in a row). If you look at the full 2013 class's AA honors you have:
#15 Lexie Brown-AP 3rd team as a sophomore, junior, and senior
#25 Lindsay Allen-AP 3rd team as senior
#26 Kelsey Plum-unanimous POY as a senior, 3rd team as junior
#43 Shatori Walker-Kimbrough-AP 3rd team as a junior and senior
#52 Nina Davis-1st team as a sophomore, 2nd team as a junior
#55 Brionna Jones-AP 1st team as a senior
#71 Chantel Osahor-AP 2nd team as a senior
#80 Sydney Wiese-AP 3rd team as a senior
#92 Alexis Peterson-AP 2nd team as a senior

Most of the players in the top 10-20 project better as WNBA players than the ones who made AA, but the players who did make AA definitely had more successful collegiate careers. Players like Russell, Deshields, and Kaela Davis didn't earn AA in college but have unique games that are more likely to transition to a successful pro career than the likes of Peterson, Wiese, Jones, Osahor, Davis, etc.

Also what stands out to me when looking at this list is none of the players who earned AA honors transferred schools besides Lexie Brown, and Lexie was already an AA when she transferred. She wasn't able to move up to 2nd or 1st team after transferring. Some notable players who transferred but never made AA include Diamond Deshields, Alisha Gray, Taya Reimer, Kaela Davis, Linnea Harper, Jannah Tucker, and Stephanie Mavunga.

Reaction Score
The Sparks were allowed a cap waiver to sign Karlie because of the Circumstance in respect to having players not being available. Once those players became available, due to her being cap waiver player they had to release her. The release rather than a waiver would allow them to resign her rather than her having to go through waivers first. They might still have plans to resign her.

Reaction Score
That is a pretty poor reason to root for a player who doesn't want to give the effort to succeed at that level. I am sure her fan base has shrunk considerably. The ones left are not really basketball fans but only fans of the image she presents. They are not the type that would help the league long term. I still think she has a shot but she has to put in the time in a season with an over seas team first. You just can not expect to play pick up and res. games and return and get a roster spot on a WNBA team.

I still can not understand the backing she got from Native Americans. She was not a role model for Native American values. In fact, she personified the opposite of what values they try to instill in their children.

Reaction Score
The Sparks were allowed a cap waiver to sign Karlie because of the Circumstance in respect to having players not being available. Once those players became available, due to her being cap waiver player they had to release her. The release rather than a waiver would allow them to resign her rather than her having to go through waivers first. They might still have plans to resign her.
I've felt that Seattle would be a good place for Russell, she can rebound, and play defense, block shots, and with Stewie, Sue, Loyd, and Howard, she will get passes where she can do damage inside. A lineup with Stewie, Howard, and Russell can make Seattle dangerous, Stewie at the 3.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
That is a pretty poor reason to root for a player who doesn't want to give the effort to succeed at that level. I am sure her fan base has shrunk considerably. The ones left are not really basketball fans but only fans of the image she presents. They are not the type that would help the league long term. I still think she has a shot but she has to put in the time in a season with an over seas team first. You just can not expect to play pick up and res. games and return and get a roster spot on a WNBA team.

I still can not understand the backing she got from Native Americans. She was not a role model for Native American values. In fact, she personified the opposite of what values they try to instill in their children.

Agree with a lot of what you’re saying...if she isn’t going to put in the effort she shouldn’t be in the league. If she did put in the effort to be a great player I’d love for her to excel though since she has the ability to draw in a much larger number of fans and put butts in seats compared to most players in the league. I also think the talent is there—she has ability to make some really difficult shots and is a spectacular playmaker. Just never had much discipline and didn’t seem fully focused/engaged.

In regards to the Native American comment—her being in the public eye, bringing a lot of recognition to her experience growing up Native American, and having a successful basketball career (standout in high school, high profile in college and had a year or two of success in the WNBA including a fantastic all star showing) makes her a role model for many. I think there are much better role models out there besides Shoni, but she has a unique situation where she can be a hero for a group of people and bring a lot of recognition to her sport. For those reasons alone, I’d love to see her put in the effort and be successful as a WNBA player.

Reaction Score

So what do you say are the values that "NA's" try to instill in their children?

She was never a "role model" for NA children but was a half breed who made the national spotlight by beating a seemingly unbeatable team (Baylor). Just that (small?) link to NA women athletes made her stand out. The news media emphasized her NA background and Native America picked up on it because no NA player had ever been in such a spotlight.

As far as "values" go she may live up to what NA parents want their children to hold but she could not (or should I say has not) held up to WNBA defensive standards probably due to her physical limitations (weight).

She needs to realize that she is trying to play in league that has the best conditioned athletes in the world and if she is to compete she must equal their conditioning.

Will she ever do so? Only she can answer that...

but I'm here to help, Shoni. If you want.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom