Latest WNBA player transactions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Latest WNBA player transactions

Reaction Score
Shoni shouldn't have to be told that she is destroying her chances for a good career in the WNBA! Conditioning is part of the framework of being an athlete!
More credit to athlete's that go the whole mile to make themselves better in every aspect of their BB game and in the game of life.
Stefanie Dolson and Kara Wolters are just 2 of many athlete's that their desire to be a success changed their whole lifestyle, conditioning, eating, etc. that made them into huge success stories in college and in the pros!
Shoni is no one to be looked up to as she squandered a GIFT of athletic talent that could have brought her fame and fortune and the respect of her Native American people that have enough burdens on their lives and need the positive role models speaking for them!
There is nothing worse than unforefilled potential!

Reaction Score
The Sparks were allowed a cap waiver to sign Karlie because of the Circumstance in respect to having players not being available. Once those players became available, due to her being cap waiver player they had to release her. The release rather than a waiver would allow them to resign her rather than her having to go through waivers first. They might still have plans to resign her.

A reporter interviewed the coach about that, and he pretty much said they do want to sign karlie Long-term, but like u mentioned right now they don’t have the cap space to sign her, but they are interested in her long-term, so we shall see.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
So what do you say are the values that "NA's" try to instill in their children?

She was never a "role model" for NA children but was a half breed who made the national spotlight by beating a seemingly unbeatable team (Baylor). Just that (small?) link to NA women athletes made her stand out. The news media emphasized her NA background and Native America picked up on it because no NA player had ever been in such a spotlight.

As far as "values" go she may live up to what NA parents want their children to hold but she could not (or should I say has not) held up to WNBA defensive standards probably due to her physical limitations (weight).

She needs to realize that she is trying to play in league that has the best conditioned athletes in the world and if she is to compete she must equal their conditioning.

Will she ever do so? Only she can answer that...

but I'm here to help, Shoni. If you want.

Maybe I'm not reading your connotation correctly, or if it's sarcasm, but I think your usage of the term "half breed" to describe a person is pretty offensive. I think Mixed Race would suffice.

Reaction Score
So what do you say are the values that "NA's" try to instill in their children?

I don't think I can answer that effectively in this sort of venue. I think her sister more closely represented those values. To understand you would have to be around the culture for a bit. Unfortunately most Native Americans have also gradually abandoned those values.

As far as "values" go she may live up to what NA parents want their children to hold but she could not (or should I say has not) held up to WNBA defensive standards probably due to her physical limitations (weight).

She needs to realize that she is trying to play in league that has the best conditioned athletes in the world and if she is to compete she must equal their conditioning.

I myself have not given up on her yet. Weight was not her only problem in respect to making a comback. She could certainly still play at the level of conditioning she came in at. Although she certainly couldn't reach her potential without redoing her body via proper diet and conditioning. She was in relatively good shape for herself, but understandably rusty. You can not just not play at a high level and expect to retain your skills. She had done nothing but play low level pick up games in her absence. As I stated before she should have played at least one season over sea's to hone her skills before attempting to make a comeback.

Will she ever do so? Only she can answer that...

From my perspective taking a break from basketball was the best thing she could have done. The attitude, or chip on her shoulder, that many people admired was the very thing she needed to change and over come. She seemed to be playing the game for the wrong reason. Not as an expression of her self, but as a means to create an identity for herself. It became a means to reinforce the ego.

The ego does not see things realistically. This is why she always saw herself as better than she actually was, and her fans fed and reinforced that image. When we see ourselves as this way we do not strive or the need to put in an effort to get better. This is why she felt she didn't need to improve physically or hone her skills over sea's in the off season.

Hopefully she has used her time away from the basketball to strengthen her self esteem without basketball so that she can return to play for the right reason if she chooses too. If she really wants or needs to play she should retrench and play in Europe for a season get in better shape before attempting to make a WNBA team. Whether she ever plays again is less important than her finding her spiritual center and that is where her Native American connections she has made can bear fruit.

Reaction Score
In regards to your first comment- I am a Native American. I don't live on a reservation but nearby. I worked as a military contractor and retired and paid cash for a house in a small town in Iowa. I know the culture...

Shoni came to our reservation a couple of months after I retired for one of her and Jude's exhibitions for NA children but I didn't know about it. My cousin's husband was bragging for her about how she was making half-court shots etc. I should have said that she looked like couldn't guard a chair in the WNBA. And that is true- opposing players regularly blow right by her because she's too heavy to react.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm not reading your connotation correctly, or if it's sarcasm, but I think your usage of the term "half breed" to describe a person is pretty offensive. I think Mixed Race would suffice.
That's how we refer to them.

Reaction Score
Shoni shouldn't have to be told that she is destroying her chances for a good career in the WNBA! Conditioning is part of the framework of being an athlete!
More credit to athlete's that go the whole mile to make themselves better in every aspect of their BB game and in the game of life.
Stefanie Dolson and Kara Wolters are just 2 of many athlete's that their desire to be a success changed their whole lifestyle, conditioning, eating, etc. that made them into huge success stories in college and in the pros!
Shoni is no one to be looked up to as she squandered a GIFT of athletic talent that could have brought her fame and fortune and the respect of her Native American people that have enough burdens on their lives and need the positive role models speaking for them!
There is nothing worse than unforefilled potential!
The guy in the other post is right. I think she came to believe all the hype that carried her through high school and college. She thought she could get by with being" a gunner".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom