Latest Hockey Arena Update (Approved) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Latest Hockey Arena Update (Approved)

Reaction Score
3000 is even reasonable to pack the building. The Ivies themselves draw very well when their teams play well. Smallest rink for D1 college men's hockey in the state, compared to private schools?

Whatever they say. Maybe they should have moved quicker to build the damn facilities.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Maybe they should have moved quicker to build the damn facilities.

Exactly.

Did COVID make them drag this on for a decade? That is on THEM.

Reaction Score
“Everyone said, Dave, we can’t fill our arenas every game.”

It’s nice to get confirmation of something I’ve been saying this whole time about the project.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Exactly.

Did COVID make them drag this on for a decade? That is on THEM.

Uh, no. BS. They had to wait because the PRM wouldn't let them build where they wanted to. Ironic, isn't it? The size was impacted by you!

Reaction Score
There isn’t much of a “supposedly” about it. The big box store I work at was selling OSB plywood at about $10 a sheet last year, and now it’s about $40. Same goes for almost any lumber in store.
We are building 3 modest single family houses that have increased by about 20,000 each since first proposed in January. The sad joke is if you pick out a sheet of plywood at the lumberyard by the time you get to the cash register the price has increased 25%. I don’t know what the issue is specifically with the costs of the rink but guessing that they have support facilities, locker rooms, training facilities, study areas etc that will exceed anything SHU will have. You won’t see it and I won’t see it.WE’ll see 200x85 ice sheet.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
We are building 3 modest single family houses that have increased by about 20,000 each since first proposed in January. The sad joke is if you pick out a sheet of plywood at the lumberyard by the time you get to the cash register the price has increased 25%. I don’t know what the issue is specifically with the costs of the rink but guessing that they have support facilities, locker rooms, training facilities, study areas etc that will exceed anything SHU will have. You won’t see it and I won’t see it.WE’ll see 200x85 ice sheet.
I'm having some work done at my home and had the contractor buy and store the materials to lock in the price even though he was 30-60 days away from being able to do the work.

Reaction Score
Mansfield residents are against UConn being a global destination...

They should be bought out using eminent domain.

CL82

Reaction Score
The New York-based pharmaceutical company Pfizer Inc. proposed building a $35 million animal vaccine laboratory on Horsebarn Hill, according to The Day. The Day said in 1998, the UConn administration extolled a new partnership with Pfizer that then Gov. John G. Rowland said would help “transform the state almost overnight” into a leader in biomedical research.However, ground was never broken because disputes over the site escalated.

The New York Times said Pfizer backed down after facing two lawsuits, the outrage of students and faculty and community opposition from a group called the Coalition to Save Horsebarn Hill, choosing to build a lab elsewhere rather than wait for the courts to decide.

this is probably the biggest screwup by the PRM. That lab site would have stimulated economic development in the eastern half of the state.

Reaction Score
The New York-based pharmaceutical company Pfizer Inc. proposed building a $35 million animal vaccine laboratory on Horsebarn Hill, according to The Day. The Day said in 1998, the UConn administration extolled a new partnership with Pfizer that then Gov. John G. Rowland said would help “transform the state almost overnight” into a leader in biomedical research.However, ground was never broken because disputes over the site escalated.

The New York Times said Pfizer backed down after facing two lawsuits, the outrage of students and faculty and community opposition from a group called the Coalition to Save Horsebarn Hill, choosing to build a lab elsewhere rather than wait for the courts to decide.

this is probably the biggest screwup by the PRM. That lab site would have stimulated economic development in the eastern half of the state.
didn't this failure lead to a change in the law that would prevent PRM from having this ability again

CL82

Reaction Score
didn't this failure lead to a change in the law that would prevent PRM from having this ability again
Don’t know

Reaction Score
Michigan State’s Munn Arena is a perfect design for a hockey rink. BU and UML are very similar. No need to reinvent the wheel, keep it simple and copy what works.

Reaction Score
Mansfield really can’t stop UConn legally in the sense that as a state institution it doesn’t have to get local approvals. Municipalities are creatures of the state and have no authority over state (or federal) institutions. In fact, if it chose to do so, the state could eliminate all town government in an afternoon. But PRM can gum up the works, cause delays, get students all riled up, get legislators all riled up...so it’s better to work with them...the public-private thing also gums up the works. Towns might have mor authority in that case. Depends on the specific situation. Those can get complicated. Groton, I think, for example won a case about reviewing a Credit union built on the sub base because it was a private entity who would own it not the Navy. Had the Navy built it and leased it to the Bank, Groton is out.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The University and taxpayers got their pants pulled down on this one.

Reaction Score
Are you saying it was his choice to go with a smaller arena??

Does Hockey have any big donors, like Football (Burton, Schenkman) Basketball (Wirth) Baseball (Elliott) and Soccer (Rizza (spelling??))?? I don't know.
Nearly 5 million dollars in donations secured for new arena.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom