Late Game Management | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Late Game Management

Reaction Score
The first, second, and third talking points should be the refs, but the fourth and fifth should be late-game execution.

This team and coaching staff have zero clue how to manage leads late in games. Horrendous.
Brutal no call and foul call there. But talking points should be late game execution. Hurley really let that play get to him and the team feeds off that, can’t have that. Up 5 with under 2 left shooting a free throw, miss it, then foul on the rebound. Momentum shifting play, that was basically game. They really need to stop force feeding Sanogo every possession and get some better sets with things get tight. Sometimes you just need a guy to go get you a bucket or set one up for another player, that’s what wins in March. I’d like to see them work on those little things.

Reaction Score
It’s absolutely inexcusable to not have your 2nd best (arguably best) 3 pt shooter in Hawkins in the game when you need a 3 to tie. Absolutely INEXCUSABLE. I’ve been a massive Hurley supporter but this is just bad bad bad. Makes 0 sense. Infuriating

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Everyone was gassed and Whaley was out. But some of Hurley’s lineup decisions and the horrendous refs didn’t help

Reaction Score
When I watch the women, when Geno is a a tight game like this, and I remember Calhoun too, they ran the clock down so there was only so many possessions left. I know we need to execute, but time management needs to be looked at.
We were runnjng the clock down every possession, if anything we need to do the opposite and start running the offense earlier to get good shots

Reaction Score
Would have never made a difference if they executed, didn’t make mistakes, didn’t take those bad shots. They created the situation that led to that bad call being a game changer
Scroll up - I ripped their late-game execution.

But it did make a difference and the refs got it inexcusably wrong. You shouldn’t depend on refs to make 50/50 calls, but you should be able to count on them being semi-competent.

This take is played out and not really accurate.

Reaction Score
Done with Gaffney, he’s clueless out there. Time to start grooming Sool.
Not yet, but I’m getting close. He isn’t naturally comfortable with the ball. He plays nervous. I think he has it in him, but he needs to show it now. We let a huuuuge opportunity slip away to make noise nationally tomorrow. I was looking forward to the Baylor test.

Reaction Score
Awful. Awful awful awful. Hurley will never be a complete coach until he learns how to close games out. We have the guys to do it this year. He simply doesn’t know what to run to close them out.
The players need to learn too. Only blaming the coach is a copout. Hurley didn't throw the ball to the defender like Martin did today. He didn't call the foul on Cole. He didn't lose the ball like Hawkins yesterday. He didn't foul a 3 point shooter and throw away an inbounds pass like Whaley yesterday. Those are just a few of the bonehead plays recently. There are more. Disappointing for an experienced team. Everyone was screaming for Hawkins to be in yesterday and then he lost the ball. Then everyone said freshman mistake and that's why he wasn't in the game. Easy to Monday morning quarterback. Everyone has to get better. Coaches and players.

Reaction Score
There's no way that Diggins can't lead the offense better than Gaffney when Cole is out. Unfortunately, Hurley will never give him a try and let him show what he can do.

Reaction Score
I’m really not a fan of this take.

Refs are paid to do a job. They’ll miss calls from time to time since they’re human, but they shouldn’t miss them that badly.

Two things can be true at once - UConn should have executed better and the refs stole that lead from them late.

Nah need to draw up better plays and manage to keep 6 point leads without putting the refs in position to screw us. Hurley was awful, Sanogo can’t be happy with 12 foot jump hooks. Just bad end of the game stuff period!

Reaction Score
Not yet, but I’m getting close. He isn’t naturally comfortable with the ball. He plays nervous. I think he has it in him, but he needs to show it now. We let a huuuuge opportunity slip away to make noise nationally tomorrow. I was looking forward to the Baylor test.
Gaffney is a straight line player. No shifty or side to side. He is ok when he has space. Put ball pressure on him and he has to turn his body to shield the ball and has trouble getting by anyone. Somebody zones us up, he's solid. Good in your face D like last couple days is always gonna be a mixed bag.

Reaction Score
We were runnjng the clock down every possession, if anything we need to do the opposite and start running the offense earlier to get good shots
When we did, it wasn’t by design and that was a problem.

Reaction Score
If only we showed up to start the game, maybe things would be different too? Im no basketball expert, but It seems like our offense is becoming way too predictable. And, who knows what happens if Whaley was playing?
Easy. We would have won.

Look at Whaley's stats yesterday. Rebounds and blocks and great defense even if no points.

0 all the way around with Akok.

Reaction Score
Turning point for me was Jackson at the line with 1:41 to go up 4. Makes the first ft to go up 5 but misses the second however Mich St gets called for a lane violation so he gets to retake. Misses the 2nd again and Sanogo fouls Marble while going for the rebound giving Mich St a 1&1 while taking just 1 second off the clock.
If Jackson makes either of those 2nd free throw attempts OR Sanogo doesnt foul and Mich St is forced to play a full possession on offense, I think we still win the game

Reaction Score
He looked for Polley off a screen, he didn’t get open. He then tried for Martin and he wasn’t open. We had 4 players standing near the top of the key clogging the lane. Gaffney was sort of out of luck.

Gaffney was awful whole game can’t be winning games with him dribbling it 15 times with 17 seconds left. Just dreadful coaching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom