Last night was Russell vs Chamberlain | The Boneyard

Last night was Russell vs Chamberlain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Edey was Chamberlain and Clingan was Russell. I never saw Russell vs Chambelain btw, so maybe some of you old heads can fill us in on that. Edey was overpowering but Clingan played the long game made adjustments, stood his ground he let Edey win some battles but he played winning basketball all night and trusted his teammates.

Reaction Score
In my humble opinion, he brought our guy to school...Big man school.
It almost made me feel like Clingan shouldn't leave JUST YET.
If this was Joel Embid...37 or 107?

Reaction Score
Edey was the best player on the floor. Newton, Cam, Castle, Karaban, and Clingan were the next 5 best players on the floor (in no order)

It’s not Wilt vs Russell, it was just a carefully crafted gameplan to let the NPOY get his, but lock down everyone else and win 5v1

That relied on Clingan taking hits, putting his hands up, and living with the results. He did that very well, and even chipped in 11 points for his troubles

Reaction Score
Edey is the two time NCAA Player of the Year. Clingan was left on an island. And when it was needed he held him scoreless for 10 straight minutes. With some help from Johnson, they wore him down and out.

Reaction Score
“Brought our guy to school.” Not sure what game you were watching but the game was won when DC completely shut down Edey for last 6 minutes of the first half and first 8 minutes of the second half. Edey is a great offensive force but almost half of his points came after the game was decided and against our small lineup. DC did a great job limiting Edey and playing him one on one allowing the rest of the team to shut down passes from Edey for open 3s which he makes when he is doubled.

Reaction Score
Clingans dad, Bill brought up on Twitter spaces that Edey is what, 2 years older than Clingan and that if Clingan had 2 more years of experience in college it might have been a different matchup. That said, Edey was unstoppable. Glad the game plan worked

Reaction Score
Clingans dad, Bill brought up on Twitter spaces that Edey is what, 2 years older than Clingan and that if Clingan had 2 more years of experience in college it might have been a different matchup. That said, Edey was unstoppable. Glad the game plan worked
This is one of the many reasons myself and plenty other posters on here knew Clingan had no real chance to compete as a contemporary with a fresh Edey. Clingan did what he needed to do, with everything in his power, to tire and slow Edey down. Clingan barely did anything offensive in isolation or on the boards because Edey was just that dominant in the 1st half.

In addition, it did not help at all that the Refs favor Edey in contact on both ends of the floor.

Clingan was amazing defensively in this tournament, and probably the stuff of legend. However, Edey was literally & figuratively a Man playing amongst boys.

Reaction Score
As dominant as Edey was he had some embarassing moments in that game, like the air balled free throw. Would like to hear from those who did watch Russell vs Chamberlain. I brought it up, because I have read up on stories where Russell said he would let Wilt score from time to time to let it get to his head and hold him at bay, here’s the quote. Bill Russell Would Let Wilt Chamberlain Score so He Could Pad His Stats

Reaction Score
Clingan did a great job playing team ball. Edey schooled him only in the sense he was left on an island with no help, and Edey was given free rein to use his elbow to knock Clingan back. Edey should have fouled out by half time.

Reaction Score
In my humble opinion, he brought our guy to school...Big man school.
It almost made me feel like Clingan shouldn't leave JUST YET.
If this was Joel Embid...37 or 107?
You do realize that DC is a sophomore in his first season starting going against a Senior who is two time national player of the year? This matchup seemed to have 3 phases. First Edey came out and dominated DC. 2nd DC got his feet under him, adjusted and kept Edey scoreless for nearly 10 minutes and played hard picking up some fouls. Phase 3 was basically DC trying not to foul out and just trying to slow Edey down then just standing straight up when Edey shot not really challenging. DC will be fine in the NBA and is only shown the tip of the iceberg on the player hes going to be.

Reaction Score
As dominant as Edey was he had some embarassing moments in that game, like the air balled free throw. Would like to hear from those who did watch Russell vs Chamberlain. I brought it up, because I have read up on stories where Russell said he would let Wilt score from time to time to let it get to his head and hold him at bay, here’s the quote. Bill Russell Would Let Wilt Chamberlain Score so He Could Pad His Stats
Here you go. Footage like in modern times!

Forget print. Its 2024; You be the judge

Reaction Score
Thought Edey was on a mission against DC and unstoppable early until he ran out of gas and got frustrated having to bang bodies against DC. He also got away with a lot inside and deserved a few offensive fouls especially late. Cudos to DC. I'm sure he's sore today LOL

Reaction Score
No comparison here. Yesterday, a battle of Giants vs. The battle of the Giants (Russell vs. Chamberlain).

A better comparison would be comparing the team play and game flow of the great Celtics teams with the play and game flow of the UConn 2024 National Champions.

Yes, I do remember watching Russell and Chamberlain.

Reaction Score
Before her it was Paige, until she got injured. To be fair
It's different. Paige was a phenom, but she did not transcend public viewsership in her category. Clark broke economic barriers lol.

Poe

Reaction Score
Clingan’s main priority was to play some solid defense, make Edey work, and stay out of foul trouble early. Edey got his points but had to make a few difficult shots in the first half. There was no need for DC to try to put up an offensive display, he just needed to stay on the floor and he did.

Will be interesting to see what happens to women’s bball next year, I think it’ll come back down to earth and will take Paige challenging some of Clark’s single season records to get some eyeballs.

Reaction Score
Clark got hyped so heavily by the media that the women brought in a bunch of new fans this year. I personally know several retired people, including my in-laws) that weren’t even fans that are now obsessive Clark leg humpers.

These same people didn’t watch the men’s title game—it was far too late. They also believed it was the UConn invitational and a UConn win was inevitable.

The media is really powerful. They dropped the ball on the men’s tourney but they crushed it on the women.

Reaction Score
About the ratings. It’s a one of, Caitlin Clark. Every female I know wanted to see her in that game and these are not sports or even women’s college basketball fans.

Reaction Score
Edey was Chamberlain and Clingan was Russell. I never saw Russell vs Chambelain btw, so maybe some of you old heads can fill us in on that. Edey was overpowering but Clingan played the long game made adjustments, stood his ground he let Edey win some battles but he played winning basketball all night and trusted his teammates.
Yeah it shows. These two are not even Ewing vs. Hakeem dude, much less Chamberlain vs. Russell. Good God!

Reaction Score
Yeah it shows. These two are not even Ewing vs. Hakeem dude, much less Chamberlain vs. Russell. Good God!
All I did was make an analogy you take a chill pill good god.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom