Last night was Russell vs Chamberlain | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Last night was Russell vs Chamberlain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
About the ratings. It’s a one of, Caitlin Clark. Every female I know wanted to see her in that game and these are not sports or even women’s college basketball fans.
I agree let see next year when Clark is gone. The product is not as good as the men’s game. It will be interesting in WNBA where half the players can’t stand her!

Reaction Score
Edey was Chamberlain and Clingan was Russell. I never saw Russell vs Chambelain btw, so maybe some of you old heads can fill us in on that. Edey was overpowering but Clingan played the long game made adjustments, stood his ground he let Edey win some battles but he played winning basketball all night and trusted his teammates.
I'm old. Watched them and debated their merits while in college. Wilt was a fantastic bb talent, but he was all about stats and glory. Bill was an offensive force in school, but dedicated himself to defense and TEAM ball. He was the reason Celtics were unstoppable in the 60's.

Reaction Score
The TV ratings were pretty horrible, I'm actually shocked by the #'s.
Monday night is not a great time. If NCAA had opted for late Sunday afternoon years ago, ala the super bowl, the viewership (and the publicity) would be different

Reaction Score
I'm old. Watched them and debated their merits while in college. Wilt was a fantastic bb talent, but he was all about stats and glory. Bill was an offensive force in school, but dedicated himself to defense and TEAM ball. He was the reason Celtics were unstoppable in the 60's.
Great defenders and rebounders like Russell, can motivate the players around them to elevate their level of play.

If there can be even a slight comparison, Clingan's defense even more so than his rebounding, has elevated the level of play of the other players on this year' team.

Edey is no Chamberlain.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Monday night is not a great time. If NCAA had opted for late Sunday afternoon years ago, ala the super bowl, the viewership (and the publicity) would be different
I do think they need to figure out something about the day and time. Even among my family group that is scattered around the eastern time zone we texted more during the Alabama game. I am a fanatic so the game could be on whenever. But think about it, the product has to be available for when the casual fan has a reason or time to view. Basic marketing.

For me it makes for a four day weekend because I know I will not be useful in any capacity leading up to the game on Monday so I am not working and Tuesday I may work but over the six I can say I have taken more Tuesday’s off than worked.

That is not a casual fan. My nine year old son was pumped all day did his best but only made it to half time. Let’s be realistic when they landed on Monday night at a time that is past 8-12 year fans bedtime it excluded an age group that is really starting to love sports. Even young casual fans after a long party weekend may not turn on the game. And certainly late for anyone who may be retired so you get an impact on numbers.

I wonder how they landed on Monday night. It works for football but that connection is simple to make.

Hurley talks about marketing a lot it seems the women have now claimed the better day and time slot. Friday and Sunday with perfect timing. I am certain if their championship game was on late Monday evening they would have been a bit lighter in the viewership count.

But it is a problem that is having a negative impact on the sport.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Wow.

Attachments

• IMG_4480.jpeg
    IMG_4480.jpeg
    728 KB · Views: 19

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Edey is the two time NCAA Player of the Year. Clingan was left on an island. And when it was needed he held him scoreless for 10 straight minutes. With some help from Johnson, they wore him down and out.
When Johnson came in for back to back dunks it killed Edey

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Clingan did a great job playing team ball. Edey schooled him only in the sense he was left on an island with no help, and Edey was given free rein to use his elbow to knock Clingan back. Edey should have fouled out by half time.
I’d word it like this: they let Edey play NBA offense but didn’t let Donovan play NBA defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom