Last Dance | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Last Dance

Reaction Score
I think Burrell was treated fairly...he got to explain the video a bit. Jordan was clearly hard in him, but he was hard on everybody.

More importantly, watching Pippen refuse to go on the floor at the end of game 3 against the Knicks in '94 still drives me crazy. What a whiny b***h. 26 years have gone by and my entire memory of him is tarnished by that assholery.
Ya honestly to me it’s getting way overblown. He barbed him and called him a ‘ho’ in the practice court . I’ve been called worse at family dinners nevermind on the basketball court.

Reaction Score
Burrell was on ESPN radio yesterday and I thought it came off great.

He said he's closer now to MJ than he's ever been. Still great friends. One funny part is, they asked him "Who was harder on you in practice? MJ or Coach Calhoun?" and he laughed and said something like "For the documentary's purpose, I'll say MJ....but being with Coach definitely prepared me for handling that." Then he said that, similarly, both Coach and MJ made him better by pushing him to places he may not have gotten without them.

Reaction Score
You would think today players would have someone pickup food, instead of going to the hotel when they knew the Bulls were there I'm assuming. I always pickup food because I never trust delivery. Ironically Kobe got food poisoning when the Lakers were in Sacramento.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sucks that it's over.
I say do Bird and the Celtics now while most everyone is still here.
For ESPN, who is lining up new 30 for 30 episodes......time for "11 in 11"

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sucks that it's over.
I say do Bird and the Celtics now while most everyone is still here.
For ESPN, who is lining up new 30 for 30 episodes......time for "11 in 11"

There is a 2 or 3 part series on the Lakers v. Celtics from the 80's. Not sure who owns it but I've seen it and I know it's more than one episode.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I did like the segment they had last night on the head of Jordan's security team, Gus Lett.

Reaction Score
Michael Jordan may be the most competitive athlete to ever walk among us. The LaBradford Smith story...The George Karl Story..."45 isn't 23"...Isaiah walking by him in '91. The way he would use things for fuel was unbelievable.

For me, the best thing about the documentary was the raw emotion that it captured. Jordan tearing up when he was talking about how he drove his guys to win, knowing that he was hard on them but also not knowing any other way to be. He got emotional like that 21 years after the last ring. Finally, the shot of a sobbing Jordan on the locker room floor after winning the '96 Title on Father's Day is an image that will never leave me.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Michael Jordan may be the most competitive athlete to ever walk among us. The LaBradford Smith story...The George Karl Story..."45 isn't 23"...Isaiah walking by him in '91. The way he would use things for fuel was unbelievable.
Most competitive, eh? I bet Ty Cobb would've shot MJ if he got the upper hand. And Pete Rose would've bet 1:2 odds on that.

Reaction Score
There is a 2 or 3 part series on the Lakers v. Celtics from the 80's. Not sure who owns it but I've seen it and I know it's more than one episode.
ESPN.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Am I losing my mind, or is the "food poisoning" aspect of the Flu game not that surprising? In other words, I'm pretty sure many people had discussed the possibility of food poisoning before, but I don't think MJ ever said specifically "I had the flu" it was always "flu-like symptoms."

Some thought that meant hungover, which I NEVER bought, because I'm sure he played hung over before and that didn't look like a hangover ... some thought that meant food poisoning, some thought it was a regular flu. But food poisoning being a possible, in fact MAIN culprit was not breaking news last night ... the only breaking and interesting new info was that the whole story never came out from him.

I guess I've always assumed it was something like that, especially since he was basically fine the next day or 2. I never imagined MJ, who used to not sleep and gamble and drink and smoke stoagies the night before games all the time, suddenly got so smashed in UTAH before game 5 that he couldn't stand up and his eyes were so droopy he looked like he was dying.

The hangover thing always bugged me, but now the food poisoning being treated like brand new info is odd. Unless I'm losing it.

Reaction Score
How about Jordan's loving greeting for his friend Larry after beating the Pacers, lol...

Watch "Michael Jordan to Larry Bird *You bitch, you.* (The Last Dance S1 E9) " on YouTube

Reaction Score
Reinsdorf comes across really bad in this docu series, so he offered Phil a contract after the season when Phil was set to leave, and Krause was still there and everyone was gonna be gone anyways, it seemed like a BS back handed offer, he couldve stepped between Krause and Phil, at the star of the season and said well play this season out and see what happens.

In fact the upcoming lockout would have further helped Reinsdorfs, case to put things on ice rather then come to that final conclusion that the 97-98 season would be it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reinsdorf comes across really bad in this docu series, so he offered Phil a contract after the season when Phil was set to leave, and Krause was still there and everyone was gonna be gone anyways, it seemed like a BS back handed offer, he couldve stepped in and said well play this season out and see what happens.
It's amazing how Reinsdorf seems to skate on everything and Krause gets all the blame. Reinsdorf signs of on everything, Krause did nothing without 100% backing from Reinsdorf.

Reaction Score
Most competitive, eh? I bet Ty Cobb would've shot MJ if he got the upper hand. And Pete Rose would've bet 1:2 odds on that.

Each of those guys came to mind when I wrote that post. To me, Jordan is on a different level. He invited the high school coach who cut him to his Hall of Fame induction just so he could call him out and shame him. He is wired differently.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Reinsdorf comes across really bad in this docu series, so he offered Phil a contract after the season when Phil was set to leave, and Krause was still there and everyone was gonna be gone anyways, it seemed like a BS back handed offer, he couldve stepped between Krause and Phil, at the star of the season and said well play this season out and see what happens.

In fact the upcoming lockout would have further helped Reinsdorfs, case to put things on ice rather then come to that final conclusion that the 97-98 season would be it.

Yeah MJ looked at that like "What? Come on, don't pretend ..."

The fact that ANYONE said ANYTHING about the future, definitively, prior to the season, is completely insane and will be one of the great mysteries of my life. Krause was an clearly and had an ego issue, and Reinsdorf must have been cheap in order to allow it. They're both to blame.

But Krause, good GM or not, made that decision and it's absolutely baffling and appalling. I can't imagine that being my team. You're THAT spoiled and THAT egomaniacal to say that prior to the season where you're gunning for a 6th chip in 8 years (essentially in a row)?

It made me really hate Krause.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Am I losing my mind, or is the "food poisoning" aspect of the Flu game not that surprising? In other words, I'm pretty sure many people had discussed the possibility of food poisoning before, but I don't think MJ ever said specifically "I had the flu" it was always "flu-like symptoms."

Some thought that meant hungover, which I NEVER bought, because I'm sure he played hung over before and that didn't look like a hangover ... some thought that meant food poisoning, some thought it was a regular flu. But food poisoning being a possible, in fact MAIN culprit was not breaking news last night ... the only breaking and interesting new info was that the whole story never came out from him.

I guess I've always assumed it was something like that, especially since he was basically fine the next day or 2. I never imagined MJ, who used to not sleep and gamble and drink and smoke stoagies the night before games all the time, suddenly got so smashed in UTAH before game 5 that he couldn't stand up and his eyes were so droopy he looked like he was dying.

The hangover thing always bugged me, but now the food poisoning being treated like brand new info is odd. Unless I'm losing it.

Always thought it could have been a 24 hour bug besides the flu. I can't remember last time I've had the flu, but I've had a few 24 bugs and a few, what I think, food poisonings.
His story goes he started feeling real bad around 2-3 in the morning which gave him about 16-18 hours to get through the worst and start pumping some fluid back in to the body.
My initial reaction when hearing the pizza story was how much of Podunk city was SLC in the late 90's that at 10:30pm they could only find one place that was open?
Second question was no way in hell does that pizza ever make it to the hotel room. Meet them in the lobby and have long-time buddy pick it up from there.

Reaction Score

When it originally happened the story was presented as food poisoning, not sure how it ever got changed to the "flu game" but it was definitely afterwards. This was the game story from the Chicago Tribune.

Reaction Score
Yea all caught up the Lakers/Celtics....kinda liking the personal one on ones with the superstars and all the video that has never been seen....it's gotta be there and certainly entertaining material well worth it. Actually it's everything they went through with MJ in the minds of Russell, Dr.J, Oscar, Kareem, Shaq, Duncan, Barkley, heck even Walton.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Jerry Krause Deserved Better in 'The Last Dance'

So, was Krause really a villian or just pragmatic? No athletes age gracefully... no dynasty goes happily into the sunset. What options did he have, given where everyone was, physically, mentally, contract-wise? He was looking at Michael by himself essentially for the next short season.

Reaction Score
Jerry Krause Deserved Better in 'The Last Dance'

So, was Krause really a villian or just pragmatic? No athletes age gracefully... no dynasty goes happily into the sunset. What options did he have, given where everyone was, physically, mentally, contract-wise? He was looking at Michael by himself essentially for the next short season.

At the end of the day, Krause was probably right, but he handled the whole situation really poorly.

They were not winning another championship the following year. Rodman was done. Pippen would have never signed. Ron Harper was a fossil.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom