Lashlee | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lashlee

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
For the first time in forever, no one can fault the play calling. No wallpaper, no whatever Disco was doing, not even RE1.0 run, run, pass (but sometimes run).

The bigger question is why Holy Cross can recruit a HS QB from Chicago and we can't recruit one anywhere.

The last QB that we recruited that played a full season was probably McEntee. Last scholarship QB to play a full season? Might have been DJ?
Perhaps they were able to recruit a QB from Chicago because he wanted to go to Holy Cross for the free education? I believe HC to be a good school. Idk if that's the case, but throwing it out there.

crazyUCfan23

Reaction Score
Silly

A top Offensive Line recruit (and all positions) pick a University for a myriad of reasons. The University of Connecticut today is amazing. I actually walk on many many campuses every year ... Storrs is growing academically and culturally in a great way forward. A degree from UConn is valued. When you make the above statement, you have to put yourself in the 18 year olds mindset. Most of OUR top targets have the "Right Stuff". They can be athletic and the right metrics in size, strength, speed. (Hence, how do you explain Melifonwu or Byron Jones) We are still in the Land where the dominant stud may not be noticed. Camps? Not every kid goes to multiple camps. HS? Go ahead and watch Liam Maloney's Bishop Gibbons (or whatever the hell they are calling it today)? Or Waterford? Or St Sebastian's in Needham? It is not hard to be one of a three looking at a kid in about 6 states ... versus 40 at St. Thomas Acquinas in Fort Lauderdale (and still we got Ryan Crozier).

We lost a battle or two to Northwestern in HCRE1.0. And some to Michigan State. And now Jim Harbaugh is regularly coming into our yard. I don't believe Syracuse will ever take kids from Connecticut like they did in the 1980s or early 1990s. UConn - and I think all of you dismiss the AAC in a harsh undeserved way - will be better in recruiting now than in the 2002-2009 era. We are doing great in 2017. IMHO

In my view ... our Offensive Line problems are structural and design and playing together. If this 5 lasts 10 games together, they will be great near the last few games; and that augurs well for our future.
Speaking of Harbaugh coming into our yard, when I was watching the Michigan game this weekend I heard the announcer mention at least 3 or 4 players from CT getting PT. However, hard to fault them for 1. wanting to go to Michigan, a storied program with tradition (even tho I hate them, its true) and 2. who would ever want to play for Diaco?

crazyUCfan23

Reaction Score
Another scenario, not as likely but still very possible. Benedict leaves for the ACC (helps us strategically in CR), Edsall is named AD and Lashlee takes over as HC.
That's a nice picture, but I don't think UCONN AD is the stress-free retirement job Edsall will be looking for in the next five years or so. I'm still praying, hoping, wishing, whatever you wanna call it, that AD Dave is the guy that takes us back to Power 5.

Reaction Score
I'm not talking about guys on the current squad. Nebrich is a good example of a kid who might have been a top starter for us but, he didn't stick around for whatever reason.
Reason was PP wouldn't play him, plain and simple. Nebrich rode the bench in favor of McEntee, an experienced quarterback who sucked. I don't blame him for leaving the following spring on the advice of Joe Moorehead, who had already had enough of PP the idiot and left a couple months before, in December to take the Fordham job. PP had a few good qualities but as a judge of QB talent he was worse than your grandma. Letting both Lagow and Nebrich get away without recognizing what he had is proof enough.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Harbaugh coming into our yard, when I was watching the Michigan game this weekend I heard the announcer mention at least 3 or 4 players from CT getting PT. However, hard to fault them for 1. wanting to go to Michigan, a storied program with tradition (even tho I hate them, its true) and 2. who would ever want to play for Diaco?
Ben Mason and his dad, and Andrew Steuber and his dad already knew what a moron Diaco was. If HCRE had stayed on at Uconn maybe there's an outside chance we could have gotten one of these guys, and if Lashlee's in the picture a decent chance.

Reaction Score
Reason was PP wouldn't play him, plain and simple. Nebrich rode the bench in favor of McEntee, an experienced quarterback who sucked. I don't blame him for leaving the following spring on the advice of Joe Moorehead, who had already had enough of PP the idiot and left a couple months before, in December to take the Fordham job. PP had a few good qualities but as a judge of QB talent he was worse than your grandma. Letting both Lagow and Nebrich get away without recognizing what he had is proof enough.

Just so you know, that wasn't my quote, it was Subbabubs. Don't know how it ended up as a post from me. For what it's worth, I don't mind him following Moorehead either. I was a fan of Nebrich from the beginning. FYI check out what he is doing today:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mikenebrich/

Reaction Score
Ben Mason and his dad, and Andrew Steuber and his dad already knew what a moron Diaco was. If HCRE had stayed on at Uconn maybe there's an outside chance we could have gotten one of these guys, and if Lashlee's in the picture a decent chance.

A lot could have happened if Edsall stayed - revisionist guessing is fruitless.

Reaction Score
Not guessing, making a point. If UCONN had a decent program and respected coaching staff then recruiting an in state 4 or 5 star kid to stay home and play at UCONN is not fruitless.

Reaction Score

Not guessing, making a point. If UCONN had a decent program and respected coaching staff then recruiting an in state 4 or 5 star kid to stay home and play at UCONN is not fruitless.

Agree - recruiting 4-5 stars kids to stay home and play @ UConn is not fruitless... Just saying that trying to project what would have/could have happened if RE stayed is. 7 years is eons ago in CFB.

Reaction Score
Just so you know, that wasn't my quote, it was Subbabubs. Don't know how it ended up as a post from me. For what it's worth, I don't mind him following Moorehead either. I was a fan of Nebrich from the beginning. FYI check out what he is doing today:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mikenebrich/
Sorry Carl, didn't know. That torn acl was terrible for the kid, he came back but was not the same. Before the torn acl, he always reminded me of Matt Groethe.

Reaction Score
Agree - recruiting 4-5 stars kids to stay home and play @ UConn is not fruitless... Just saying that trying to project what would have/could have happened if RE stayed is. 7 years is eons ago in CFB.
Yeah, you're right just trying to point out the differences between Randy Edsall or Rhett Lashlee recruiting in state kids to play at UCONN and Disastro recruiting highly sought after in state kids for Uconn is a blatant projection on my part. Jeesh

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For a stretch of time RE brought in four, occasionally five kids with each recruiting class who had the frame that could develop into the size of a quality offensive lineman. With development in the weight room and a coach who was very good at teaching blocking fundamentals (Foley), we ended up with a nice stretch of solid offensive lines (2007 - 2010).

We didn't hit on every lineman (IIRC one of the most acclaimed OL recruits we had during that period never cracked the starting lineup) and the staff new it would have been an unreasonable expectation to think we would or could hit on every one. By bringing in enough bodies we gave ourselves a realistic chance of having a sufficient number of capable linemen after some development, training and experience. GDL refused to teach any basics and conditioning went out the window during that reign of terror. Cummings (Diaco's OL guru) seemed too enamored with what a kid tipped the scales at and while the talk surrounding Balis seemed encouraging, the results didn't match. Adding to this, we stopped bringing in enough linemen each year to allow for any misses.

RE2's first recruiting class should be evidence that he knows what is needed here at the moment (as there is little chance that we'll be able to bring in any plug and play linemen for quite a while). If two of Van Demark, Tunstill, Hubbard and Holmes can develop, it would be a great start. If two of Jones, Rooney, Maloney and Pace (if he ends up on offense) develop, we'll have the foundation set. The thing is we're still more than a year away from knowing much of what we would like to know today. Having Peart, DeGeorge, Leone (all young) will help tremendously but keep in mind that each of those three is young, two still need a bit more size and strength and I believe all three need more training in blocking fundamentals. I believe we will see flashes of quality play at times this year but we will also see inexperience, inconsistency and indecisiveness. Realistically we won't see what we want on a regular basis for a year. That does not mean we have no hope of seeing quality line play again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom