Lashlee | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lashlee

Reaction Score
The difference is we were in a major BCS conference then. Now we are in a mid major. That negatively impacts recruiting.

Cute

Cite one case study of a OL recruit that came to our BE UConn Program. I think we get better OL going forward.

Our best OL in the last 10 years were idiosyncratic good evaluations and solid multi year development. Petrus Hurd Beatty ...

Some of you just like to revel in the mud. And then there is HartfordHank.

Reaction Score
Another scenario, not as likely but still very possible. Benedict leaves for the ACC (helps us strategically in CR), Edsall is named AD and Lashlee takes over as HC.
Not sure about that, BUT one has to wonder what brought him to Uconn from Auburn. There has to be some bigger plan for the next 5 years.

Reaction Score
Those were all objections that could be overcome. Now if you have a P5 quality recruit you're after, you have to convince them it's more fun to play in the St. Petersburg Bowl, or whatever ridiculous name it's being called now, instead of a NY6 bowl/CFP. That is a tough objection to overcome. During Edsall's first tenure we could go to a BCS bowl and we did once.

There are realistically about 15-20 schools that can sell recruits on NY6 bowls. We weren't winning recruiting battles because we had the chance to make a BCS bowl game. If a kid is hearing from Clemson, Michigan, Rutgers, and Maryland only two of those schools can pitch the NY6 bowls. The other 2 aren't getting any traction with that pitch.

I'm not saying we should concentrate on kids with major P5 offers. But BC, Cuse, Rutgers, Pitt, UVa, Maryland aren't selling kids on NY6 bowl games. We need to be able to win a few of those battles along with identifying quality mid major talent.

Let's stop pretending like just because a school is in the P5 they will win recruiting battles selling CFP bowl games. Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Wake Forest, NC State.... the list of those who aren't likely to go is much longer than the list of those likely to go.

We have to change the narrative. Stop presenting UConn from a position of weakness. Players can go to UConn, get an education, win some football games, play on TV, and if they're good enough, get drafted to play professionally. All of those are proven facts. RU isn't in any better position than us because their league gets a NY6 bowl. They aren't going. Ever. That's reserved for OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Penn State, etc, etc.

Reaction Score
There are realistically about 15-20 schools that can sell recruits on NY6 bowls. We weren't winning recruiting battles because we had the chance to make a BCS bowl game. If a kid is hearing from Clemson, Michigan, Rutgers, and Maryland only two of those schools can pitch the NY6 bowls. The other 2 aren't getting any traction with that pitch.

I'm not saying we should concentrate on kids with major P5 offers. But BC, Cuse, Rutgers, Pitt, UVa, Maryland aren't selling kids on NY6 bowl games. We need to be able to win a few of those battles along with identifying quality mid major talent.

Let's stop pretending like just because a school is in the P5 they will win recruiting battles selling CFP bowl games. Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Wake Forest, NC State.... the list of those who aren't likely to go is much longer than the list of those likely to go.

We have to change the narrative. Stop presenting UConn from a position of weakness. Players can go to UConn, get an education, win some football games, play on TV, and if they're good enough, get drafted to play professionally. All of those are proven facts. RU isn't in any better position than us because their league gets a NY6 bowl. They aren't going. Ever. That's reserved for OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Penn State, etc, etc.
I think you could make a reasonable argument that AAC teams have a better shot at a NY6 bowl than the Rutgers of the world. The problem is, I doubt that's what they're selling. I'd imagine they're selling the opportunity to go up against the best competition week in and week out, as opposed to playing Tulane and ECU. That's where it hurts us, not the NY6 bowls. The goal is to make kids see through the P5 bs and realize that if they have the talent, the scouts will find them whether it's in Storrs or in Syracuse.

Reaction Score
I think you could make a reasonable argument that AAC teams have a better shot at a NY6 bowl than the Rutgers of the world. The problem is, I doubt that's what they're selling. I'd imagine they're selling the opportunity to go up against the best competition week in and week out, as opposed to playing Tulane and ECU. That's where it hurts us, not the NY6 bowls. The goal is to make kids see through the P5 bs and realize that if they have the talent, the scouts will find them whether it's in Storrs or in Syracuse.
Fair point...here's how I would respond.

Come to UConn and your impact on the field will be even greater. You've got a chance to earn playing time earlier, and stand out. We play ranked teams, we play 2-3 P5 teams out of conference every year. Be a part of building something special.

Reaction Score
Fair point...here's how I would respond.

Come to UConn and your impact on the field will be even greater. You've got a chance to earn playing time earlier, and stand out. We play ranked teams, we play 2-3 P5 teams out of conference every year. Be a part of building something special.
Totally agree and hopefully that's the type of pitch the staff uses. We'll obviously get burned by the shiny "P5" label a fair amount, but we'll also get kids to buy into what we're selling - and obviously it gets a heck of a lot easier to sell if we can get this thing moving in the right direction asap.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

It's not just the bowl games being a whole lot better, even the non-NY6 ones, it's all about the exposure. Even if you go to Wake Forest, Northwestern or Vanderbilt, you're in a P5 conference. More exposure, more TV interest, you play all the big name schools that do go to NY6 games, and you get your mug on SC more often. These guys all think they're going to the NFL. The P5 schools can sell them on that. We've got Tulane to play in front of a glorified friends and family crowd in NOLA, maybe on CBSSN, or if we're lucky, ESPNU. They've got Clemson, or Alabama, or Ohio State in front of 100,000+ on national TV. That's a huge difference to an NFL wannabe.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
It's not just the bowl games being a whole lot better, even the non-NY6 ones, it's all about the exposure. Even if you go to Wake Forest, Northwestern or Vanderbilt, you're in a P5 conference. More exposure, more TV interest, you play all the big name schools that do go to NY6 games, and you get your mug on SC more often. These guys all think they're going to the NFL. The P5 schools can sell them on that. We've got Tulane to play in front of a glorified friends and family crowd in NOLA, maybe on CBSSN, or if we're lucky, ESPNU. They've got Clemson, or Alabama, or Ohio State in front of 100,000+ on national TV. That's a huge difference to an NFL wannabe.

Honestly, if I were a recruit there's like 0% chance I'd go to UConn over any P5 program except maybe Wake Forest and Syracuse

Reaction Score
I'm not saying it isn't an uphill battle, but if the gap between us and schools like UVa is as wide as you think it is, then we shouldn't have beaten them. We shouldn't have been competitive with Cuse (really should have won that one), shouldn't have beaten Maryland. Shouldn't have been up 2 TD's on Michigan in the fourth quarter. Shouldn't have been winning against Vanderbilt in the 4th quarter on the road. Shouldn't have been competitive with Mizzou on the road.... etc etc.

Say what you want about their coaching at the time....then consider ours.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I'm not saying it isn't an uphill battle, but if the gap between us and schools like UVa is as wide as you think it is, then we shouldn't have beaten them. We shouldn't have been competitive with Cuse (really should have won that one), shouldn't have beaten Maryland. Shouldn't have been up 2 TD's on Michigan in the fourth quarter. Shouldn't have been winning against Vanderbilt in the 4th quarter on the road. Shouldn't have been competitive with Mizzou on the road.... etc etc.

Say what you want about their coaching at the time....then consider ours.
I've always believed in the algorithm: talent + preparation + game day coaching = performance... 2 out of 3 can make you competitive; 0 of 3 is hard times. I've never really thought talent was our biggest problem. (Said with a hat tip to Nostical).

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Not sure about that, BUT one has to wonder what brought him to Uconn from Auburn. There has to be some bigger plan for the next 5 years.

I have the feeling that he is stepping down in pay to get experience with running the offense without any shadows over him, and HCRE will be showing him the ropes of how he runs a program. Not really as a head-coach-in-waiting for UConn, but as a leadership development opportunity.

For that, I can see a smart, motivated coach take a cut in pay and move a long way north.

Reaction Score
Honestly, if I were a recruit there's like 0% chance I'd go to UConn over any P5 program except maybe Wake Forest and Syracuse

I'm sure there are many quality players riding the pines on the two, three and yes 4 deep rosters at P5 schools, who get limited playing time. They undoubtedly think twice about offers made by great G5 schools like UCONN. You obviously fall into the category of someone who would only play at a P5 and I'm okay with that.

The truth is, the American offers quality competition and exposure for an aspiring Professional football player. My pitch to 4 & 5 star recruits would be that, plus playing time, education, (top 20 Public university), facilities, as well as the high percentage of Huskies playing at the next level. That's why their images are plastered all over the Burton Family Football facility. There is more to sell to recruits than just playing at a P5 school. I agree there are a majority that will go P5 only however there is enough here at UCONN for recruiters to make an effective pitch to some pretty good players. ( heck, we got Rhett Lashlee!) We just need to start winning and filling the Rent! (That's all, LOL! Nothing to it!)
IMG_0443.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First memory of Lashlee will be after the Pindell fumble, he came over to Dave on the bench and destroyed his soul....never seen a coach yell like that, so many neck veins.....he then strolled off for a lonely walk up and down the sidelines before bringing the offense back together...

I guess the whole "lets love them until they get better" attitude is gone.....
He didn't give him a participation trophy I guess.

Reaction Score
Bottom line, players want to play. Sure P-5 teams get more TV exposure, but for many at these big P-5 schools it's a sideline shot of them standing with their other DNP buddies. Come to UConn and play for some very good coaches with a knack for making you better. Your future isn't impeded here. Look at all of those Huskies in the NFL.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Keith Gray, Will Beatty, Zach Hurd, Mike Ryan, Moe Petrus and all of the other starting linemen we had those years received any offers from schools they would now choose over UConn. If you can remember any please share.
You can look real good when you are blocking for Todman and Donald Brown. But he did put Donald Thomas and Beatty in the NFL, when they had no football experience.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

For me it would be about judging my chances to play first and foremost. I would want the best opportunity for playing time and lots of it. So many four and three star kids see very little of the field because many P5 programs just have a tremendous pipeline. I would not want to get lost in the shuffle.

Oh, and I would be looking to gauge the chances of the staff sticking around for a good chunk of years. When the HC turns over, sometimes the prior regimes kids get the shaft on playing time - thats a risk I would want to minimize.

Reaction Score
For me it would be about judging my chances to play first and foremost. I would want the best opportunity for playing time and lots of it. So many four and three star kids see very little of the field because many P5 programs just have a tremendous pipeline. I would not want to get lost in the shuffle.

Oh, and I would be looking to gauge the chances of the staff sticking around for a good chunk of years. When the HC turns over, sometimes the prior regimes kids get the shaft on playing time - thats a risk I would want to minimize.

Another reason to value RE. Good chance this is his last Coaching gig. Who knows if things go well, maybe another 10 years or so which would bring him close to 70.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
For the first time in forever, no one can fault the play calling. No wallpaper, no whatever Disco was doing, not even RE1.0 run, run, pass (but sometimes run).

The bigger question is why Holy Cross can recruit a HS QB from Chicago and we can't recruit one anywhere.

The last QB that we recruited that played a full season was probably McEntee. Last scholarship QB to play a full season? Might have been DJ?

Reaction Score

Silly

A top Offensive Line recruit (and all positions) pick a University for a myriad of reasons. The University of Connecticut today is amazing. I actually walk on many many campuses every year ... Storrs is growing academically and culturally in a great way forward. A degree from UConn is valued. When you make the above statement, you have to put yourself in the 18 year olds mindset. Most of OUR top targets have the "Right Stuff". They can be athletic and the right metrics in size, strength, speed. (Hence, how do you explain Melifonwu or Byron Jones) We are still in the Land where the dominant stud may not be noticed. Camps? Not every kid goes to multiple camps. HS? Go ahead and watch Liam Maloney's Bishop Gibbons (or whatever the hell they are calling it today)? Or Waterford? Or St Sebastian's in Needham? It is not hard to be one of a three looking at a kid in about 6 states ... versus 40 at St. Thomas Acquinas in Fort Lauderdale (and still we got Ryan Crozier).

We lost a battle or two to Northwestern in HCRE1.0. And some to Michigan State. And now Jim Harbaugh is regularly coming into our yard. I don't believe Syracuse will ever take kids from Connecticut like they did in the 1980s or early 1990s. UConn - and I think all of you dismiss the AAC in a harsh undeserved way - will be better in recruiting now than in the 2002-2009 era. We are doing great in 2017. IMHO

In my view ... our Offensive Line problems are structural and design and playing together. If this 5 lasts 10 games together, they will be great near the last few games; and that augurs well for our future.

Reaction Score
For the first time in forever, no one can fault the play calling. No wallpaper, no whatever Disco was doing, not even RE1.0 run, run, pass (but sometimes run).

The bigger question is why Holy Cross can recruit a HS QB from Chicago and we can't recruit one anywhere.

The last QB that we recruited that played a full season was probably McEntee. Last scholarship QB to play a full season? Might have been DJ?

But SB to be fair, we reeled these guys into the boat then threw them back into the water:

Richard Lagow

Richard Lagow - 2017

Michael Nebrich

Mike Nebrich - 2014 Football

In addition to Pindell and Shirreffs, looks like some good prospects in. Marvin Washington and Jordan McAfee in particular.
IMG_0444.JPG

UConn 2017 quarter backs from front to back (L-R): Brad Westmark, David Pindell, Marvin Washington, Bryant Shirreffs, Donovan Williams, Jordan McAfee and Brandon
Biszak.

Let's not discount these recruits or the same thing could happen. To me. This has the makings of the most talented QB crop that I can remember.

I understand that HC's Peter Pujals was a total under the radar kind of guy. No
Question he has big league potential. I say HC got really lucky!

College football: Holy Cross quarterback Peter Pujals points toward fantastic fifth season[/QUOTE]

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
But SB to be fair, we reeled these guys into the boat then threw them back into the water:

Richard Lagow

Richard Lagow - 2017

Michael Nebrich

Mike Nebrich - 2014 Football

In addition to Pindell and Shirreffs, looks like some good prospects in. Marvin Washington and Jordan McAfee in particular.
View attachment 24660
UConn 2017 quarter backs from front to back (L-R): Brad Westmark, David Pindell, Marvin Washington, Bryant Shirreffs, Donovan Williams, Jordan McAfee and Brandon
Biszak.

Let's not discount these recruits or the same thing could happen. To me. This has the makings of the most talented QB crop that I can remember.

I understand that HC's Peter Pujals was a total under the radar kind of guy. No
Question he has big league potential. I say HC got really lucky!

College football: Holy Cross quarterback Peter Pujals points toward fantastic fifth season
[/QUOTE]

I'm not talking about guys on the current squad. Nebrich is a good example of a kid who might have been a top starter for us but, he didn't stick around for whatever reason.

I have to discount Lagow, sure PP didn't welcome him with I own arms but it took the kid 3 stops before settling at Indiana. Not exactly your model recruit. Maybe if Randy stays in 2011 we start attracting guys with a pedigree or just guys that can play.

But regardless of who our coach was or what league we are in, there are a dozen guys we probably could have had here Sherriffs came in. The Western Michigans and Wyomings of the world seem to find these guys.

I not on board with DanO being our fluke NFL grade prospect st QB.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom