Larry David aside, when is it time to "let up?" | The Boneyard

Larry David aside, when is it time to "let up?"

Reaction Score
I was looking at some of the greatest comebacks (or collapses) in NCAA basketball history and was wondering when it is "safe" to put the pups in or start playing clock killer?

Some of these will scare you, especially the 19 point lead New Mexico blew against Nevada with 4:27 to play.

I'd much rather hear "Hurley is a jerk" than be on this list, but what would be considered sportsmanlike?

Reaction Score
To me, these are very different questions. I really like how we kill clock with a large lead when we get to the under 8. The data supports this because if you limit your opponent's opportunities to score, you will win the game. I care about winning the game above all else; a 28 or an 18 point win doesn't matter.

As far as bringing in Andrew Hurley, a totally different discussion. This has to be complete garbage time that is mutually understood between coaches.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Speaking of, any chance Andrew takes a ga position next year?

Reaction Score
Honestly felt last night that Hurley had tried to call off the dogs. For whatever reason, that is when Illinois decided to apply pressure. Hurley has stated before if you don't ease up, he won't, or something like that. Was funny when I think Diarra had a clear and free layup but dribbled right across the lane and out to kill more time.

Reaction Score
I was looking at some of the greatest comebacks (or collapses) in NCAA basketball history and was wondering when it is "safe" to put the pups in or start playing clock killer?

Some of these will scare you, especially the 19 point lead New Mexico blew against Nevada with 4:27 to play.

I'd much rather hear "Hurley is a jerk" than be on this list, but what would be considered sportsmanlike?
If they're up 15 or more, I like the approach of shaving off 10-15 seconds from each possession before getting serious and setting up a shot, starting around the 6-minute mark. But don't wait until there are 5-7 seconds on the shot clock to get started, and leave yourself with no choice but to drive into a double-team in the paint and hope you get fouled. Anything under 15, just run your offense unless you're inside two minutes.

Reaction Score
No good coach would allow back- ups who have been sitting for several hours be embarrassed by the other teams front line players who are still pressing.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Kinda doubt it. You actually have to earn those positions. He may not even be interested in bball as a career.
Just thinking "Family business".. but yeah I wish him well wherever he goes.

Reaction Score

It's usually a mutual decision. Hurley is the one deciding when guys like Stewart or Ball and the fringe rotation guys go in. But you can usually see Hurley and the opposing coach looking at each other and talking right before the walk ons and end of bench guys go in

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
When the opponent concedes or the clock is down to the point where it is virtually impossible for the opponent to even get within striking distance.

I still remember a few leads in the past that became problems (Clemson 1990) or worse (Florida 1994; GM 2006). If the opponent is still trying to win, we also had better be trying to win.

Reaction Score

BTW, we did let up. Hurley had Ball in the game with 10 minutes left. At some point its the losing coach's responsibility to take his starters out.

Reaction Score
As Yogi Berra taught us, "It ain't over until it's over." Anyone who has spent any time watching sports has seen miracle comebacks and teams throw away all but certain victories.

The coaches job is to be certain, "the hay is in the barn," that they don't "count their chickens before they hatch," that "the flat lady is singing," that "the train has left the station," that the chances are "between slim and none and slim just left town."

Reaction Score
Great responses so far, and I'll add one more. This is the frickin elite 8, not some regular season game. You are one of the greatest basketball teams in the country and should NOT expect mercy or the other team to "let up." RedStickHusky put it best., take your starters out and then we will. You want to put a bunch of future NBA players on the floor against our backups? Beat it.

Reaction Score
Hurley can’t show mercy. The man is a Visigoth in a suit. Id personified. These games are his own personal version of ‘Doom’ played on max difficulty with the gore cranked up.

I don’t think he wants to defeat opponents so much as he wants to figuratively disembowel them.

Consider the imagery he’s used to describe UCONN performances these last few years:

-destroy
-crush
-murder
-annihilated
-beasts
-violence
-warfare
-and too many ‘blood’ references to count

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Kinda doubt it. You actually have to earn those positions. He may not even be interested in bball as a career.
He would be spurned at the Thanksgiving dinner table.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Am I off base in thinking that when he gets on the floor, Ball is really desperate to create some good film for himself?
Yes. Because he has failed so far. He has no body of work since Stephon returned.

Reaction Score
It’s a non issue. The issue in college ball is when teams are losing by 12 or so with a minute left and keep fouling, delaying the start of the UConn game lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom