Larrier reminds me of Stanley Robinson | The Boneyard

Larrier reminds me of Stanley Robinson

Reaction Score
Seems to have great talent, but it's feast or famine... unfortunately, don't see the NBA in his future.
Hope he finds consistency in his game

Reaction Score
Terry Larrier is the perfect embodiment of a Kevin Ollie player.

Talented, but maddeningly inconsistent; can look great and can look god awful, sometimes for a few plays, sometimes for long stretches, sometimes for multiple games. Doesn't really know how to utilize his skill set in an effective and efficient way. Often displays lack of consistent effort and makes silly mental mistakes. But then shows flashes of brilliance that gives you hope...which ultimately never materializes.

You could say he reminds you of Rodney Purvis...Or Daniel Hamilton...Or Amida Brimah.....or basically most guys that have played here the last few years.

Reaction Score
Larrier had 14 rebounds last night.

Stanley was a human pogo stick. But he didn't board 14 very often.

Pretty sure sticks had 15 boards against a very good west Virginia team at WVU in 2009.

Fairly certain had handful of other double digit rebounding games in his career

Larrier is not half the defender sticks was either

Reaction Score
Stanley had some big-time talent but never put it all together. Larrier seems to be a better shooter but he has no handle or court awareness. Like Tim Welsh said last night, he can't dribble and better learn how to.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Pretty sure sticks had 15 boards against a very good west Virginia team at WVU in 2009.

and 13 v. M State in the tourney.

Reaction Score

Talented, but maddeningly inconsistent; can look great and can look god awful, sometimes for a few plays, sometimes for long stretches, sometimes for multiple games. Doesn't really know how to utilize his skill set in an effective and efficient way. Often displays lack of consistent effort and makes silly mental mistakes. But then shows flashes of brilliance that gives you hope...which ultimately never materializes.

You could say he reminds you of Rodney Purvis...Or Daniel Hamilton...Or Amida Brimah.....or basically most guys that have played here the last few years.

i don't think he has shown us purvis or brimah-level inconsistency this season. let's give him a chance!

through six games, he has given us: 27 & 6; 12 & 3; 11 & 7; 18 & 7; 18 & 2; 8 & 14.

he's had one really anomalous game, and it was 27 points on 60-percent shooting in the opener against colgate.

Reaction Score
i don't think he has shown us purvis or brimah-level inconsistency this season. let's give him a chance!

through six games, he has given us: 27 & 6; 12 & 3; 11 & 7; 18 & 7; 18 & 2; 8 & 14.

he's had one really anomalous game, and it was 27 points on 60-percent shooting in the opener against colgate.

fair. but in game inconsistency is still there. one great play followed up by a head scratcher, metnal lapse. etc. repeat

Reaction Score

Yeah, Sticks could rebound - he had 23 career double digit rebounding games.

Freshman (2): 12 reb vs. St Johns; 13 reb vs. Providence

Sophomore (6): 13 reb vs. Buffalo; 10 reb vs Gardner-Webb; 11 reb vs. Maine; 11 vs. Indiana; 10 vs. Louisville; 13 vs. Rutgers

Junior (7): 15 vs West Virginia; 10 vs. Pitt; 10 vs. Marquette; 12 vs. Pitt; 14 vs. Syracuse; 11 vs. Purdue; 13 vs. Michigan State

Senior (8): 11 vs. LSU; 12 vs. Harvard; 12 vs. Maine; 16 vs. Notre Dame; 12 vs. Texas; 11 vs. Louisville; 13 vs. West Virginia; 13 vs. Louisville

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score

this x1000

Reaction Score

Sheesh

This shows a lack of real game evaluation skills. Rodney & Amida are archetypes of guys that -regardless of how much effort and skill development - were not going to get much better beyond their core skillset. Amida? Never gave you much beyond the phenom timing on blocks and the ability to catch alley-oops occasionally; Rodney (IMHO) is one of those physical freaks that peaked at 15 or so. He was never going to get to top college player. Kinda a Rashamel Jones. Both opinions I have posted in the past.

Daniel Hamilton is widening his skill set. Getting better. And, you might firmly state that HE did leave UConn at the correct time. Larrier, I think, still will develop. But, he really has only been in less than 10 UConn games. Most of what you see is still raw and not Ollie.

Did Ollie find ways for Napier, Giffey, Kromah, Daniels ... to find roles and peak as college ballplayers? Don't just be pulling the Amida.

Reaction Score
Sheesh

This shows a lack of real game evaluation skills. Rodney & Amida are archetypes of guys that -regardless of how much effort and skill development - were not going to get much better beyond their core skillset. Amida? Never gave you much beyond the phenom timing on blocks and the ability to catch alley-oops occasionally; Rodney (IMHO) is one of those physical freaks that peaked at 15 or so. He was never going to get to top college player. Kinda a Rashamel Jones. Both opinions I have posted in the past.

Daniel Hamilton is widening his skill set. Getting better. And, you might firmly state that HE did leave UConn at the correct time. Larrier, I think, still will develop. But, he really has only been in less than 10 UConn games. Most of what you see is still raw and not Ollie.

Did Ollie find ways for Napier, Giffey, Kromah, Daniels ... to find roles and peak as college ballplayers? Don't just be pulling the Amida.

Well I was saying 3 years ago what everyone is now saying about Ollie, so my evaluation skills cant be that bad.

I'm not comparing them as players in terms of skill set. I'm comparing them in terms of lack of consistency and defined roles. I didn't expect 20 and 10 from Brimah every game. But Ollie has never been able to set a foundation for his players to build on. Every one of our player has been so up and down. Look at Vital. 30 pts one game and three total duds. Adams looks like a stud All-American for 5 or 10 min a game (sometimes full games) and then disappears for long stretches. Same with Purvis. Same with Gibbs. Same with Shonn Miller. Same with D-Ham.

We literally never know what to expect from any of our players every game. It's not like we can count on so and so to give us 6 rebounds and strong defense every game, or this guy to give us a spark off the bench. Its all a big mystery of who is going to show up and when., And its been going on for years.

Edit: yeah he did a great job with those guys...for 6 games. people forget the rest of that season. Also those guys were developed by JC (and Ollie) for the beginning of their careers, which cant be ignored. Which type of play has been more prevalent? The 2014 tourney run? Or the last 100 games hes coached?

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’d say DHamilton without the basketball savvy and instincts. Maybe he’ll average a triple double in the GLeague and never sniff an NBA roster too.

Reaction Score
Larrier is more like Daniels. 2014 Daniels was for year 17 assists, 56 turnovers, 6 RPG, 13.1 PPG. So far this year Larrier is 2 assists, 14 turnovers, 6.6 RPG and 16.6 PPG. Yes he needs to play better, expect he will improve (no reason to think he is too stupid or pig headed to work at it so why not expect him to get better as he had only few games experience in prior 2 years) individually and team as whole will improve. Jalen play more like Bazz (hard to learn when and how to take over), AG more like Boat, CV shoot 3's more like Giffey (think he already attacks and takes more on his shoulders offensively than Giffey) and bigs better than Nolan/Amida in rebounding (combined for 5.4 RPG) and ball handling - have a team.
The difference between ok and great RESULTS are relatively thin. 2014 team could have easily been one and done. Louisville had their number. UConn is not going to get the top 20 players of the "golden years of Calhoun", have to win with non NBA prototypes. If expecting to compete for talent with Kentucky, Duke, Kansas and money schools in SEC or connected schools like Oregon; not going to happen. I'm ok with trying to win with these guys and next set of recruits.

Reaction Score
stanley was way better. at his worst stanley was still playing good/great d. the complaints about stanley were that he wasn't assertive on offense, but only because the boneyard (and fans/analysts in general) look at an athlete like that and assume he should have a complete skillset (which makes no sense). i think stanley had a very high iq on offense-didnt waste possessions, mainly stayed away from doing things he wasnt capable of, understood when to crash the glass

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Larrier had 14 boards which is great but... if you have the game taped go to 4:eek:o left in regulation and 3:15 left in regulation and see him ball watch and let Miesner get two offensive board putbacks in crunch time. Egregious.

Reaction Score
Sticks was a great one on one defender. Larrier is horrendous defensively.

Yup. When UConn played Kentucky at MSG John Wall was abusing all the guards so JC put sticks on him towards the end of the game and he more or less shut him down if my memory serves me right

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

And Sticks played 4 seasons, Larrier has played about 11 games

Does anyone even remember Larrier is recovering from a torn ACL? Too many "fans" need a reality check, something's not right with their anger towards this kid or this team

Can't wait for their "just another excuse" responses, because recovering from a torn ACL is evidently irrelevant in their self described brilliant and informed analysis

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Seems a very weak comparison to me. Sticks was explosive. Larrier is not. He is (or has the potential to be) a much better shooter from deep. But he cannot get to the rim the way Stanley could, and favors layups over nasty slams. Sticks wasn't the best defender in the world, but he was worlds ahead of TL in that aspect of the game. His handle wasn't great (actually, reminds me of Vital's handle -- adequate on one or two bounce drives, but tenuous in moves demanding tricky maneuvers) but it was better than what Larrier has shown. The one area where they may be comparable is rebounding.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
He has 2 assists on the season. 2

Hey, that's two more than "Johnnie Time" Selvie ever recorded during his UConn career. I blame Johnnie for the current state of affairs with the BB program. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom