Lamar Jackson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lamar Jackson

Reaction Score
Every time I turn on espn someone is talking about Lamar Jackson’s chances of getting hurt or his longevity being a big question mark. Who cares? If he even has 3 great seasons like this it will be one of the most amazing things in nfl history and if he only has this one great season he has a very good chance at winning a super bowl.

I mean it is a factor the team has to consider and probably still invest another high pick in the next couple years. But I totally agree. It’s not like they invested a top 5 pick either. He was barely a first round pick and if you can get a Super Bowl out of that, even if it’s a short window, I think the team takes that every time. He’s also turned a team that was absolutely brutal to watch into the most exciting in the league.

Reaction Score
I went Watson instead.
Both great picks. I think you might have a leg up though. I have a feeling Lamar may not play much the rest of the season since they clinched. Maybe one more week depending on if they wrap up home field.

Reaction Score
I feel so lucky to be a Ravens fan, this season has been like watching Kemba with cleats. Lamar has been unbelievable. Any NFL player can get hurt on any play, or in any practice. Lamar's style makes him as likely to get hurt as a running back, but those same skills also keep him from getting hit often. What's been amazing is his improvement as a thrower -- his accuracy is good and getting better, and he always keeps his eyes downfield.

Reaction Score
I feel so lucky to be a Ravens fan, this season has been like watching Kemba with cleats. Lamar has been unbelievable. Any NFL player can get hurt on any play, or in any practice. Lamar's style makes him as likely to get hurt as a running back, but those same skills also keep him from getting hit often. What's been amazing is his improvement as a thrower -- his accuracy is good and getting better, and he always keeps his eyes downfield.

I agree. Any player can get hurt on any play.

But for franchise QBs, guys like Brees, Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, etc play 15+ games a year for a decade.

Reaction Score
Nobody has managed to be a successful active dual threat QB in the pros beyond a few years. The list of high impact, next gen QBs with short careers is long. Stay in the pocket and you live a lot longer.

Reaction Score
Nobody has managed to be a successful active dual threat QB in the pros beyond a few years. The list of high impact, next gen QBs with short careers is long. Stay in the pocket and you live a lot longer.
Who are all these quarterbacks you're referring to? The only guy who is remotely like him is Vick and his career was derailed by off the field issues.

Steve Young, Russell Wilson, Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNabb etc. are all seriously successful dual threat QB's with long careers

Reaction Score
Who are all these quarterbacks you're referring to? The only guy who is remotely like him is Vick and his career was derailed by off the field issues.

Steve Young, Russell Wilson, Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNabb etc. are all seriously successful dual threat QB's with long careers

Running QBs in the last handful of years with injury issues: Cam Newton, Tyrod Taylor, RGIII, Kaepernick, mariota. Not saying these guys all had/have the talent of Jackson but it’s not a great track record, especially when you’re completely run-first.

Reaction Score

RGIII and Cam Newton come to mind. There is a difference between very mobile QBs and those with a primary run option. They get beat up pretty quickly.

Reaction Score
I think he falls in between what everyone is saying on here. he does indeed get hit and needs to slide more, that will come with maturity but his elusiveness keeps him clean for the most part. He’s taken one very bad hit a game when i’ve watched. He doesn’t have elite arm talent, but he is pretty accurate. If you combine that with defenses stacking the box to defend their run first offense he is absolutely accurate enough to expose single coverage all day. He’s good enough to still move the ball with his arm if a defense dropped 8 but he and the team would be far less effective. They run to set up the pass and they run damn well.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Vick is really the only one who had a run-pass ratio close to Jackson. The other guys were mobile, dual threat guys, but beat you more often with their arms and could throw on the move. Jackson and Vick could produce 100 yard rushing games at QB.

I don't know if Jackson will face injuries or not, but I do think some defensive coordinator will figure out how to defend the scheme. Last year, Mahomes was putting up even more impressive numbers. Montana running the Bill Walsh offense was unstoppable...until it wasn't. I give credit to the Ravens, in a league that plays nickel and dime most of the time, they went with an attack designed to shred those defenses.

Reaction Score
Most of his throws are to uncovered receivers. He doesn't have to read defenses. The defense over compensates to stop the run. Some team will figure out how to stop this scheme and the rest of the league will figure it out.

36 TDs to 6 INTS.....because he can run lol

The gymnastics people are pulling off to find ways to say this kid isn't a good QB would make Simone Biles jealous.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Most of his throws are to uncovered receivers. He doesn't have to read defenses. The defense over compensates to stop the run. Some team will figure out how to stop this scheme and the rest of the league will figure it out.

Counterpoint: his receivers are mediocre and almost all of his throws are down the field, hence the ridiculous YPA. Compare this to someone like Brees, who throws checkdowns half the time.

Jackson doesn't have elite accuracy, but he isn't Trubisky out there either. His accuracy is good and his throwing power and running ability are insane.

Reaction Score
Polian was always one of the most respected guy's in football, turns out he's an ...

Bill Polian, Who Said Lamar Jackson Should Be A WR, Didn't Vote Him First Team All-Pro | Total Pro Sports

Reaction Score
The game is different today, there's more of a brotherhood among NFL players. It shows up in soft tackles; a don't hurt our stars and we won't hurt your's, and a willingness to le players run out of bounds without contact. Of course the rules have also changed to protect QBs. Lamar also has an incredibly quick mind so I think he'll slide, fall or step out more in the future.

Reaction Score
Polian was always one of the most respected guy's in football, turns out he's an ...

Bill Polian, Who Said Lamar Jackson Should Be A WR, Didn't Vote Him First Team All-Pro | Total Pro Sports

What an idiot he also said that TO and Randy Moss shouldn't be a Hall of Famers.

Reaction Score
I think its always a mistake resting your starters in week 17, unless they are hurt, resting Ingram I get it. Your starters that are healthy should play 2-3 quarters, when you have everything clinched you treat last regular season game like its week 3 of the preseason. Now you got a hungry, hot smash mouth Titans team coming in thats battle tested and dont sleep on Ryan Tannehill btw, he is lighting the Ravens D up.

Reaction Score
I think its always a mistake resting your starters in week 17, unless they are hurt, resting Ingram I get it. Your starters that are healthy should play 2-3 quarters, when you have everything clinched you treat last regular season game like its week 3 of the preseason. Now you got a hungry, hot smash mouth Titans team coming in thats battle tested and dont sleep on Ryan Tannehill btw, he is lighting the Ravens D up.

Tannehill has one job, don't screw up. he tried to give the game away against New England last week, but the Patriots couldn't take it. Nothing against him, he's a good guy who works very hard, but he needs everything to go well in order to succeed. I don't think they will be able to keep up with their next opponent, especially if it is KC.

Reaction Score
Tannehill has one job, don't screw up. he tried to give the game away against New England last week, but the Patriots couldn't take it. Nothing against him, he's a good guy who works very hard, but he needs everything to go well in order to succeed. I don't think they will be able to keep up with their next opponent, especially if it is KC.

I didnt say he is great or anything he does whats required for his team, he did open up the scoring for the Titans today, and he has converted key 3rd downs. Playoffs are always unpredictable, I would go with KC as well but I wouldnt bet against the Titans they are ascending right now. They play smash mouth football and get a lead anything is possible.

Reaction Score

Exactly a team like the Titans needs to get the breaks to go their way its not about Tannehill going toe to toe with Mahomes or Watson, if the Titans put the other team in a rock fight anything can happen, and KC better be worried about the Texans right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom