Lakers get Davis | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Lakers get Davis

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not just your post, and probably shouldn't have said this board because it's all over. But Celtics fans I know seem to think it's just a matter of time

Wishful thinking. I sure don’t believe that, although I don’t think it’s out of the question that he’d go there.

These next few weeks will be interesting. Lots of free agents out there. Durant, Kawhi, Kyrie, Kemba maybe Butler, maybe Klay, Gasol etc. A team like Toronto could be really good, or not very good. It’s hard to predict what will shake out. I think there will be some surprises.

Reaction Score
Wishful thinking. I sure don’t believe that, although I don’t think it’s out of the question that he’d go there.

These next few weeks will be interesting. Lots of free agents out there. Durant, Kawhi, Kyrie, Kemba maybe Butler, maybe Klay, Gasol etc. A team like Toronto could be really good, or not very good. It’s hard to predict what will shake out. I think there will be some surprises.
Yeah at least half the league is at a point where in 2 weeks they could be contending or in full rebuild mode. It's gonna be a fun off-season

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Al Horford's leaving. In the immortal words of Micheal Ray Richardson, the ship be sinking.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Let’s not forget Boston wasn’t on kyries list of teams when he asked out of Cleveland.

We see how that worked out.

Reaction Score
Al Horford's leaving. In the immortal words of Micheal Ray Richardson, the ship be sinking.
New report? Everything I saw was he'd be back on a lower salary multi year deal

the Q

Reaction Score
New report? Everything I saw was he'd be back on a lower salary multi year deal

Which is also a mistake. Run it back, but don’t waste valuable cap space on a guy who’s gonna be 35.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Al Horford to the Lakers? ESPN reports that he’ll be declining his option for next year, and will be an unrestricted free agent.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
4 yrs for AH? yeah he'll be effective at 38 at $20 mill plus per

Reaction Score
Atlanta tried to get the Knicks pick in exchange for 8 and 10. The Knicks declined.

Reaction Score
Waylon thinks the Lakers are only going to have 2 basketball players on their team. There are a lot of people who talk nonsense.

The reality is that the Lakers have lebron, ad, a decent but overrated kuzma, and then a bunch of trash. They have $23M to throw at people so they have to be very smart about how they spend that money, and you’d be forgiven for saying there’s at least as good a chance they ____ it up as they do it well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The reality is that the Lakers have lebron, ad, a decent but overrated kuzma, and then a bunch of trash. They have $23M to throw at people so they have to be very smart about how they spend that money, and you’d be forgiven for saying there’s at least as good a chance they ____ it up as they do it well.

Do they also have any mid level exceptions? I tend to agree that the talk of them landing a third star means the rest of the roster will be very thin. Smarter to bring in 2-3 quality guys.

the Q

Reaction Score
Do they also have any mid level exceptions? I tend to agree that the talk of them landing a third star means the rest of the roster will be very thin. Smarter to bring in 2-3 quality guys.

Iirc, They can sign guys up to the cap and then use the mle.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Lakers are trying to free up another max cap spot. This is insane. The Lakers are rapidly becoming the stupidest franchise in sports.

Losing Horford hurts the Celtics, but they can't commit over $100 million to a player his age. Harrison Barnes turned down $25 million for next season to test free agency, which seems pretty crazy too. Barnes is decent, but a 14.3 ppg scorer from a non-playoff team does not deserve more than $25MM a year. I think a lot of these guys are missing just how many free agents there are on the market this summer.

the Q

Reaction Score

Lakers are trying to free up another max cap spot. This is insane. The Lakers are rapidly becoming the stupidest franchise in sports.

Losing Horford hurts the Celtics, but they can't commit over $100 million to a player his age. Harrison Barnes turned down $25 million for next season to test free agency, which seems pretty crazy too. Barnes is decent, but a 14.3 ppg scorer from a non-playoff team does not deserve more than $25MM a year. I think a lot of these guys are missing just how many free agents there are on the market this summer.

Barnes opting out if a bafflingly dumb decision. Dude was never worth the money he got. If the kings resign him the gm should be fired. Take the cap space and run.

Boston could not give Horford that. This is smart for all parties.

If kawhi, kemba and butler all resign, there will be a ton of unused cap space out there.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Kawhi, Kemba, Kyrie, and Butler are going to suck up a lot of cap space. Somewhere around the 10th or 15th best free agent, I think the supply/demand equation is going to flip in favor of the buyers.

This is going to be the off-season where we learn which GMs got game.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Barnes opting out if a bafflingly dumb decision. Dude was never worth the money he got. If the kings resign him the gm should be fired. Take the cap space and run.

Boston could not give Horford that. This is smart for all parties.

If kawhi, kemba and butler all resign, there will be a ton of unused cap space out there.

Yeah, as I said in the other thread, if I'm Boston I want Al back at about three years $55M. Ballpark $18M per. Four years at $20+, I'd pass.

@nelsonmuntz is right that free agency is going to be wild. The longest contract is four years for any team but the existing, but some of these guys are going to be surprised that people don't want to give them even 4 years at inflated numbers. Too much dead cap space out there on too many teams.

Reaction Score
I believe their exception is worth 9 million. A smart management will be able to turn 23 million plus this exception into an extremely good 6 man rotation. 7-15 are going to be minimum + 2nd round guys.

the Q

Reaction Score
I believe their exception is worth 9 million. A smart management will be able to turn 23 million plus this exception into an extremely good 6 man rotation. 7-15 are going to be minimum + 2nd round guys.

That’s the hard cap apron exception. They also could split that up between multiple players if they wanted to.

Teams who are taxpayers only have like 5m or something like that.

Another terrible rule by the nba.

Reaction Score
Collison and someone to start at SG for 23M seems feasible. Get a good 6th man with the MLE, and fill out the bench with ring chasers. There's definitely a path to a competitive team

Reaction Score
That’s the hard cap apron exception. They also could split that up between multiple players if they wanted to.

Teams who are taxpayers only have like 5m or something like that.

Another terrible rule by the nba.

I legitimately am extremely confused by the NBA salary cap.

the Q

Reaction Score

Because it’s unnecesarily complicated. Just like the nfl.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Because it’s unnecesarily complicated. Just like the nfl.
Sounds like even the Lakers front office is genuinely confused about it, as they try to figure out how to create enough space for another max contract and still have enough players to field a team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom