Lagow going home... | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Lagow going home...

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I don't disagree. Just irrelevant at this point.

I agree, Jar. It is irrelevant. But I don't blame Whaler at all for trying to drown out the "he honored his commitment" posts.

What do they call people who pack it in after 3 weeks of Basic?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Is there a Connecticut native that PP has given a scholarship that didn't deserve one? I'm not in love with some of the statements but I really don't see him doing things recruiting wise that don't make sense.

Unfortunately the jury is still out in the players that P has brought in. Those who have defended P state that he is doing it with Edsall's players. I can reverse the question to you and ask you to identify the in state player P has brought in that has done more than expected on the field. These questions cannot be correctly answered yet. That doesn't make your stance right nor does it make mine. We will have to see what happens before this can be determined. I will state however that RE did bring in a few players who had contributed very early in their careers here, including a couple from the state.

I find the situation frustrating as hell and I cannot wait for this reign of error to end. P seems completely out of touch and from all appearances, h believe that his job is to keep a few in state HS coaches happy.

I am fully aware that a teenager (such as Lagow) can easily kid himself as to why there were as many QB's ahead of him as there where when he made his decision. He very possibly could haves fully believed he wasn't given a fair shake because of where he was from vs where Boyle was from yet been completely wrong about it. The statement I quoted does however give those who claim that CT players come first (as the reason for Lagow's departure) the opportunity to claim they were correct.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree, Jar. It is irrelevant. But I don't blame Whaler at all for trying to drown out the "he honored his commitment" posts.

I was going out of my way to not say anything before the OU/Alabama post.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Unfortunately the jury is still out in the players that P has brought in. Those who have defended P state that he is doing it with Edsall's players. I can reverse the question to you and ask you to identify the in state player P has brought in that has done more than expected on the field. These questions cannot be correctly answered yet. That doesn't make your stance right nor does it make mine. We will have to see what happens before this can be determined. I will state however that RE did bring in a few players who had contributed very early in their careers here, including a couple from the state.

I find the situation frustrating as hell and I cannot wait for this reign of error to end. P seems completely out of touch and from all appearances, h believe that his job is to keep a few in state HS coaches happy.

I am fully aware that a teenager (such as Lagow) can easily kid himself as to why there were as many QB's ahead of him as there where when he made his decision. He very possibly could haves fully believed he wasn't given a fair shake because of where he was from vs where Boyle was from yet been completely wrong about it. The statement I quoted does however give those who claim that CT players come first (as the reason for Lagow's departure) the opportunity to claim they were correct.

I agree. We can't judge P's recruiting at all until this season kicks off.

But based on the reputations of the players he's signed I don't see any Connecticut outliers.

I can't take the comment about him favoring CT players seriously for two reasons:

A: The two deep doesn't reflect it at all. Specific to the QB position there were two non-local players ahead of Lagow. What pressure can there be about who is 3rd and 4th on the depth chart? Cochrane is the 2nd QB by default because the starter is entrenched and he already redshirted. If Whitmer were to be injured and out for a period of time - I believe the position is wide open.

B: The inside info that CT players are favored was packaged with nonsense about Alabama and Oklahoma. How can it be taken seriously?

But I agree that the statements from P are counterproductive because it does lend evidence to someone making that claim.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you are referring to but I did see this in the Courant:
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-notes-0823-20130822,0,7434139.story

Pasqualoni, a Cheshire native, spoke to the importance of state players playing.
"UConn is to me, like it is in so many areas, the best, and to do it with the guys, the coaches, from the state of Connecticut, I promise you, is our commitment,"
I cannot begin to state how excited I got after readidng the above statement. I began thinking back to when Howard Scnellenberger stated that if he could recruit the local talent, Miami would be in the national title hunt every year. It is obvious that P is all in on using local talent to compete for national titles and hell, if there isn't a spot on the field for a kid who played high school football at Staples, Fermi, East Catholic or RHAM, why even bother having a football program.

Why is what P saying perceived differently than what Stoops, Weis, Gundy, Snyder, Addazio and just about every coach in CFB says? It plays well in every market.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/26/4370479/ku-k-state-face-more-competition.html

http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahom...homa-sooners-keep-recruiting-focus-close-home

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/f...13/08/07/how-fired-steve-addazio-plans-make-b

Keep the best home and then play the best regardless of zip code.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Why is what P saying perceived differently than what Stoops, Weis, Gundy, Snyder, Addazio and just about every coach in CFB says? It plays well in every market.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/26/4370479/ku-k-state-face-more-competition.html

http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahom...homa-sooners-keep-recruiting-focus-close-home

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/f...13/08/07/how-fired-steve-addazio-plans-make-b

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you are referring to but I did see this in the Courant:
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-notes-0823-20130822,0,7434139.story

Pasqualoni, a Cheshire native, spoke to the importance of state players playing.
"UConn is to me, like it is in so many areas, the best, and to do it with the guys, the coaches, from the state of Connecticut, I promise you, is our commitment,"
I cannot begin to state how excited I got after readidng the above statement. I began thinking back to when Howard Scnellenberger stated that if he could recruit the local talent, Miami would be in the national title hunt every year. It is obvious that P is all in on using local talent to compete for national titles and hell, if there isn't a spot on the field for a kid who played high school football at Staples, Fermi, East Catholic or RHAM, why even bother having a football program.
What I was referring to was, up to that point I still hadn't seen anything about Lagow leaving in the sports section of the Courant.com. It was a tongue in cheek remark since I have been disappointed about the lack of coverage for this year's Uconn football team as opposed to previous years.

Reaction Score

I don't put them down, but they aren't called Marines.

Reaction Score

Stop making sense. People don't like Pasqualoni, the same way that the don't like Warde Manuel and they will write irrational things because of it, instead of simply writing. "I don't like so & so." , which would summarize everything they write anyway.

Nothing will change that. What can change is how you respond and how you yourself think and opine. Because the fact is, that most of us can put our personal feelings aside, and be positive with a new season upon us. I expect to see improvement in the things from the head coach, that he has plenty of room to improve on, and I look at all the other changes that I can perceive in the structure of this football program, and see much more positive than negative as It comes to our potential to reach much higher goals than we've reached in the past, and while I am happy with those changes I perceive, which can be substantiated with more than I simple "I think x-factor is better." "x-factor in the program is on an uptick" comment, it's time to start winning more than we lose and get back on that track in the W and L columns to reach those new potentials. I personally want success now, rather than failure and change. It's clear that others would prefer to see failure and change now. That just makes me want to kick somebody.

So it's a new season, and there's nothing like intense pressure to either get the cream to rise up, or to crap out. I expect that the hard work put in over the past two years is going to pay off this season, and if it doesn't, I'm confident it will be dealt with properly and the foundation that has been rebuilt in the past two years, is continued to built upon so that we can reach the same kinds of levels that every other athletic program at UCONN has reached, and continues to work toward to reach.

Reaction Score
Stillwater makes Storrs seem like a bustling metropolis.
... must have been swayed by the OK State coeds at Eskimo Joes, but, as a college town stuck in the middle of nowhere, Stillwater and the OSU campus, used to have more to offer than Storrs. Perhaps that's changed ...

Reaction Score
Is there a Connecticut native that PP has given a scholarship that didn't deserve one? I'm not in love with some of the statements but I really don't see him doing things recruiting wise that don't make sense.
He was speaking to the Middlesex County Chamber. he was pumping up the local angle. As someone else pointed out just about every coach in America does the same thing. Adn for all the noise about local players, we have just about the same number of Connecticut kids playing this year as in past years. If you go back to 2010, Edsall's last year, we had 4 starters from Connecticut, Lutrus, Hurd, Marcus Campbell and Trevado. This year we have at least by my count, well, 4...Walsh, McQuillen (if he plays), Jones and Stewart. I'm sure if we look back there were a couple more Connecticut kids on the 2 deep in 2011, too. So don't pay as much attention to what is said as what actually happens. Stewart played at Florida, so we know he is a D1 football player. Saw the field as a true freshman I believe. Jones has been a legit d-back who played in 20 games so far. Walsh is admittedly a surprise, and I don't know if he was recruited by anyone else, but he's a fullback and those guys tend to be undervalued. McQuillen I know had interest from Penn State and offers from Buffalo and Temple. So I guess we don't really know yet on him either.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Stop making sense. People don't like Pasqualoni, the same way that the don't like Warde Manuel and they will write irrational things because of it,

Wrong. People don't like Pasqualoni because he has given us 2 straight losing seasons with teams that should have been bowl bound. Winning cures many ills and if he can give us a winner this year much will be forgiven. Nothing irrational or unfair about it.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Wrong. People don't like Pasqualoni because he has given us 2 straight losing seasons with teams that should have been bowl bound. Winning cures many ills and if he can give us a winner this year much will be forgiven. Nothing irrational or unfair about it.

exactly.

We win the AAC this year and he will a whole lot more popular.

Reaction Score

I agree with everything but the 'wrong'. Nothing you wrote about not liking Pasqualoni is irrational, and you clearly explained why. There's plenty of other irrational crap out there that I was directing my comments toward - I think you can tell the difference.

Reaction Score

You are exactly right. It doesn't mean that there aren't a bunch of irrational criticisms of P regarding the Lagow situation.

Reaction Score
I just typed a long thing about expectations/consistency/ football/ practice but f(kc it. Delete.

Sweater puppies.

Jamie Pressley.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, did you say something? All I keep thinking about is zebras for some reason, and what it would be like to be hunting on the Serengeti.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Sweater puppies are so last year. This fall's hottest item is sweater kittens.
hanes_kittens.jpg

Reaction Score
While it's certainly a pleasing external stimulus to the visual cortex, and certainly light years beyond the last image you presented medic, it does not qualify as a bona fide pure bred northeastern husky sweater puppy. Note the clearly visible epidermal creases and umbilicus. There's beauty in the female form, and there's well - the word that starts with T, and rhymes with hits. But bravo on the vast improvement in visual choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom