Lady Vols and the Tournament

Reaction Score
Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
DeShields was named to the 2nd team all-SEC:
Lady Vols' Diamond DeShields, Mercedes Russell second-team All-SEC picks

From high school Naismith winner to 2nd team all-conference in what is likely her last college year. Has any Naismith winner, barring serious injury, ever underperformed by more than that?

maybe; but certainly not in the more modern era:
Naismith Prep Player of the Year Award - Wikipedia
By that measure, one would have to say Strother was a significant underperformer.

Reaction Score
Has DD ever publicly stated that she was turning pro this year or is it just rumors?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
By that measure, one would have to say Strother was a significant underperformer.
At least Annie won two national championships and was a key component - admittedly not THE key component - on the team. But then again, with Diana on the team, Annie never had to be THE go-to guy while D was there so she didn't know how to be one after Diana left.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It's an interesting piece, but this Tennessee team has earned the label "inconsistent". Couple that with Nared's video interview after the Alabama loss, where she says this team has to find a way to come together, and add in the fact that it's March, and you have one very tall task ahead of you. Another niggling question. If Deshields intends on leaving will it make her press to do things to the detriment of the team?

Reaction Score
upload_2017-3-11_15-51-41.png

"They NEVER listen to me!"
(Well, that explains the wins.)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
At least Annie won two national championships and was a key component - admittedly not THE key component - on the team. But then again, with Diana on the team, Annie never had to be THE go-to guy while D was there so she didn't know how to be one after Diana left.

That's what makes this season so outstanding...
None of our three new AA's had to be the go=to-guy last season.
That they all stepped up; Saniya too
is (among other things) one of the coaching coups of all time.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There has been much discussion about the LadyVols inconsistency this season. Over the past few weeks, and particularly after their inexplicable loss to AR in the SEC tournament, I get a strong sense that Holly has lost control of the team. Unlike last season when they made some noise in the NCAA tournament, I think this year TN will depart from the Big Dance with barely a whimper.

Reaction Score
There has been much discussion about the LadyVols inconsistency this season. Over the past few weeks, and particularly after their inexplicable loss to AR in the SEC tournament, I get a strong sense that Holly has lost control of the team. Unlike last season when they made some noise in the NCAA tournament, I think this year TN will depart from the Big Dance with barely a whimper.

Holly has never had control of the team in her tenure..... that is a big part of the problem

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Holly has never had control of the team in her tenure..... that is a big part of the problem
You're probably correct. I just sense the situation has gotten far worse of late. If DD is truly on her way out, I could see her poisoning the team in the same way that she did at UNC.

Holly can't do or say anything to take control of the situation because it would only confirm to everyone that she's lost control, and frankly it's far too late. I think Holly will bear it through the end of the season and then do everything she can to make sure that DD declares for the draft.

Reaction Score
You're probably correct. I just sense the situation has gotten far worse of late. If DD is truly on her way out, I could see her poisoning the team in the same way that she did at UNC.

Holly can't do or say anything to take control of the situation because it would only confirm to everyone that she's lost control, and frankly it's far too late. I think Holly will bear it through the end of the season and then do everything she can to make sure that DD declares for the draft.

Yes, DD is individually talented yet not made for team play, at least at collegiate level.... Whether or not she returns has no bearing in UT's future success.... Holly has good class coming in, yet will coach the same she always has..... that is not good. Holly's overall biggest problem obviously is that she just is not the alpha dog that Pat was.... and her players just dismiss her out of hand (JMO)....

Reaction Score
Yes, DD is individually talented yet not made for team play, at least at collegiate level.... Whether or not she returns has no bearing in UT's future success.... Holly has good class coming in, yet will coach the same she always has..... that is not good. Holly's overall biggest problem obviously is that she just is not the alpha dog that Pat was.... and her players just dismiss her out of hand (JMO)....

And I think this all begins with their recruiting. Look. Imagine a scenario in which Holly had taken over the UCONN team at some point in the last few years. Geno had retired, or whatever. While I don't see them having as much success without Geno and with Holly, I don't think she, or just about anyone, "loses control" of that squad. [mod edit] They're going to respect whoever is coaching. Tennessee's players, not so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I have been saying since DD transferred from North Carolina to Tennessee that she would never finish out her college eligibility. I have very little doubt that she will declare for the WNBA when the tournament is over.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Kenny Kalina tweeted he's hearing Rumors that Lady Vols are an #8 Seed in the East Region. That puts them in Storrs and would be UConn's 2nd game to get to Bridgeport Regional. If true, game is sold out and will be most watched 2nd game in Women's Tournament History. Also means ESPN would want a Prime Time Starting time. I seem to recall reading 2nd game is scheduled for 7:30 PM start time. Don't know if I'm accurate on that.

Reaction Score
And I think this all begins with their recruiting. Look. Imagine a scenario in which Holly had taken over the UCONN team at some point in the last few years. Geno had retired, or whatever. While I don't see them having as much success without Geno and with Holly, I don't think she, or just about anyone, "loses control" of that squad. [mod edit] They're going to respect whoever is coaching. Tennessee's players, not so much.

Don't know about that.... UConn recruits great kids true, but if nothing is demanded of them (as with Holly, IMO), bad habits will surface....

Reaction Score
Kenny Kalina tweeted he's hearing Rumors that Lady Vols are an #8 Seed in the East Region. That puts them in Storrs and would be UConn's 2nd game to get to Bridgeport Regional. If true, game is sold out and will be most watched 2nd game in Women's Tournament History. Also means ESPN would want a Prime Time Starting time. I seem to recall reading 2nd game is scheduled for 7:30 PM start time. Don't know if I'm accurate on that.

Have the LVs dropped to an 8? Wow

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Regional finals are at 7:00. I already have my tickets - ESPN can't change the time.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't an 8 seed in the East potentially play the second game at Gampel on the first weekend? Have they announced the days and times of the Gampel games yet? I thought we had to wait until tonight's draw. (The regional final in Bpt is the 2nd weekend at 7 pm on Monday 3/27/17.)

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm sure the #9 seed will just rollover to allow the #8 seed Lady Vols to advance.

Often times in sports tournaments, the "expected" matchup just doesn't come to fruition as one team underperforms.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom