Lady Vols and the Tournament | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lady Vols and the Tournament

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
DeShields was named to the 2nd team all-SEC:
Lady Vols' Diamond DeShields, Mercedes Russell second-team All-SEC picks

From high school Naismith winner to 2nd team all-conference in what is likely her last college year. Has any Naismith winner, barring serious injury, ever underperformed by more than that?

maybe; but certainly not in the more modern era:
Naismith Prep Player of the Year Award - Wikipedia

she has had an extremely serious injury. Just because it was never fully disclosed, doesn't mean it didn't happen. She's fortunate to still be playing the game.. In the SEC, the 2nd team selection was due to team performance. She's still projected as the #1 draft pick

Reaction Score
Well, I wouldn't say I'm "afraid," exactly ("wary" would be more like it), but the simple answer to that question is that Tennessee wouldn't be a normal #8 seed. They'd be a very talented but underachieving team disguised as a #8 seed. A normal #8 seed can be expected to play, more or less, like a #8 seed. Tennessee's level of play has been all over the place all season; when they're bad, they play like a WNIT team, but when they're good and motivated, they've proven multiple times that they play more like a #2 seed. I just don't see how sending a team like that to Storrs does UConn any favors. I seem to remember this one other time when UConn was undefeated and the committee plunked another talented but underachieving Tennessee team down in our region. That ended very badly for us. Not in Storrs, granted, but still.

Look, don't get me wrong, UConn is better than Tennessee. If they match up in the tournament, Tennessee will have a lot more things to worry about than UConn will. UConn should win that game, and I can easily envision a scenario where we run them out of the building, Mississippi State-in-2016 style. But I can also imagine that game developing a certain way (foul trouble, rebounding trouble, Tennessee playing motivated, our shots not falling) where it turns into a major slog. If enough things go wrong for us, I'd even give Tennessee a puncher's chance of—heaven forbid—winning. I would give a typical #8 seed virtually no chance of winning. That's all I'm saying.

I also want to emphasize that I wouldn't belabor this point if we were discussing any later round of the tournament. I don't really expect games in later rounds to be easy (though it's nice when they turn out to be). If we end up playing Tennessee sometime later on, so be it. But when you're a #1 seed, especially on the women's side, it's not unreasonable to hope for the opening two rounds to be a relative cakewalk. If all goes right, you shake off some rust, don't play your starters more minutes than necessary, and move on to the Sweet 16 without needing to expend too much physical or mental energy. I honestly don't see the point of hoping to see a team that has the very real potential to turn one of those games into a slog, as opposed to a team that has virtually no chance of doing that. Sorry, but I'd rather have the cakewalk.
)
I'd love to play the Lady Vols because if we do that means that Baylor is off the board. Anyone think we have a better chance agianst Baylor than we do aganst Tenn.? (2) Having said that Tenn is a unique team. Does anyone remember a team that has ever had so many wins against the top 5-10 teams and so many dismal loses and such a mediocre season record?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Baylor had a injury to Jones. Anyone know if she will play?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Initially, Kim Mulkey minimized the injury to Jones as a "bone bruise", and her status was listed as "day to day." However, Jones has been out now for almost a month and she has a history of knee injuries including ACL tears. She put up 23 against UConn at Gampel. Baylor is not the same team without Jones on the floor. Maybe she'll be back for the tournament, or maybe there will be an announcement like we just had for Alaina Coates, that she will not be playing.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Initially, Kim Mulkey minimized the injury to Jones as a "bone bruise", and her status was listed as "day to day." However, Jones has been out now for almost a month and she has a history of knee injuries including ACL tears. She put up 23 against UConn at Gampel. Baylor is not the same team without Jones on the floor. Maybe she'll be back for the tournament, or maybe there will be an announcement like we just had for Alaina Coates, that she will not be playing.
OK thanks.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The BaylorFans website says she has been practicing at full speed and will play 20 min in first game and evaluate from there.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
By that measure, one would have to say Strother was a significant underperformer.

Freshman and Sophmore year Ann was on track in both development and performance aspects of her game...

Those of us that recall always felt her struggles Junior and Senior seasons were due to being forced to play out of position as a 5. Charde could not / would not contribute consistently...

Speaking of Charde, wow what a talent, just could not find her way at Uconn, yet I distinctly recall her singularly beating LSU's finest team in their history...Seeing her outrebound and score against Sylvia Fowles and the rest of LSU frontline by herself was awe inspiring...

We are lucky fans, just a continous inspiring highlight reel we get to witness...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom