Ladies and Gentleman, RAY REID! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ladies and Gentleman, RAY REID!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
On the Mamadou Doudou Diouf front, he started the Cincinnati game and played 65 minutes. He took three shots but didn't score. At least he's playing some good minutes now.

It will probably take him a couple of weeks to get properly match fit, so essentially that will be during conference tourney time. If he's 100% by then, we'll hopefully be able to make some real noise on the national stage...

Reaction Score
Tonight the men's soccer team went on the road and beat SMU 1-0. Larin with a goal a few minutes into the game, with Mamadou picking up an assist on the play. The Huskies stretch their unbeaten streak to eleven games, and finish the AAC regular season schedule with a 4-0-4 record.

Reaction Score
I am very happy the men's soccer team is finally playing up to potential. Looks like I was right. They were better than 1-0 losses to teams like Bradley at home.

I am also very happy for Diouf that he is getting healthy. Even happier because now Ray Reid can't use it as an excuse.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I am very happy the men's soccer team is finally playing up to potential. Looks like I was right. They were better than 1-0 losses to teams like Bradley at home.

I am also very happy for Diouf that he is getting healthy. Even happier because now Ray Reid can't use it as an excuse.

ASweet claims in this thread:

1) Goalie continues to give up goals.
2) UConn soccer team is an unmitigated disaster.
3) Ray Reid should not be our coach (implied by thread title).

Reality:

1) Goalie has 0.6 goals against average.
2) Young UConn team is 9-2-5 without their top player for half the year.
3) Ray Reid proves yet again that he can coach.

Yup.....looks like you were right.... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
"Goalie continues to give up goals."

I said the goalie continued to give up goals facing MINIMAL SHOTS. Which judging by the 1-0 losses and 1-1 ties despite out shooting our opponents by a wide margin was accurate.

"UConn soccer team is an unmitigated disaster"

My 85 yr old grandma has a better memory than you. I said UConn fall sports this year was an unmitigated disaster. The winless football season alone makes it one.

"Ray Reid should not be our coach" (implied by thread title)

Hey at least you admit it up front that I never said that. Ladies and Gentleman, Ray Reid does not imply he should not be our coach. If you implied that perhaps your overly sensitive. Not a great position of strength while debating when you are responding to your own created straw mans.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
"Goalie continues to give up goals."

I said the goalie continued to give up goals facing MINIMAL SHOTS. Which judging by the 1-0 losses and 1-1 ties despite out shooting our opponents by a wide margin was accurate.

"UConn soccer team is an unmitigated disaster"

My 85 yr old grandma has a better memory than you. I said UConn fall sports this year was an unmitigated disaster. The winless football season alone makes it one.

"Ray Reid should not be our coach" (implied by thread title)

Hey at least you admit it up front that I never said that. Ladies and Gentleman, Ray Reid does not imply he should not be our coach. If you implied that perhaps your overly sensitive. Not a great position of strength while debating when you are responding to your own created straw mans.

ASweet said, in this thread, verbatim:

"Men's soccer like football is an unmitigated disaster. That is a fact." (page 2 of this thread)

I hope grandma gets some ginko biloba. ;) I'm tired of arguing with you because you are simply a blowhard. You rail on and on about things, and then when they don't come true, you have the gall to say you were right. Then, you claim you didn't say things when they are within the very same thread. Now, you are trying to claim that you were not implying that you didn't want a different coach than Reid. Yup.

You can of course continue to say whatever you want, but don't pretend like you've added some insight that has now become fact and pretend like you didn't say other things that were proven false...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
They freaking demolished SMU tonight.

What a nice performance tonight. Cyle Larin is on a friggin' tear. Two more goals today....and this kid is a freshman! 5-0 win. Andre Blake with a 6-save shutout. Diouf got about 40 - 50 minutes of game time, so he's continuing to get more game fit. On to play UCF in the AAC semis. I hope the dogs keep rollin'... :cool:

Reaction Score
I grew up playing soccer, love the sport, especially quality international soccer, but occasionally chuckle over over-anglicized soccer references sneaking into American English. Are Soccer Mom or suburban coaching dad credentials now required to call a field a pitch, refer to getting back in shape as becoming game fit, calling soccer football, etc.? What are the other requisite Soccer Mom terms now in the US? I jest, yet just a quick laugh on the way to hopeful continued strong UCONN performances on the pitch. )

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I grew up playing soccer, love the sport, especially quality international soccer, but occasionally chuckle over over-anglicized soccer references sneaking into American English. Are Soccer Mom or suburban coaching dad credentials now required to call a field a pitch, refer to getting back in shape as becoming game fit, calling soccer football, etc.? What are the other requisite Soccer Mom terms now in the US? I jest, yet just a quick laugh on the way to hopeful continued strong UCONN performances on the pitch. )

I play with a bunch of English guys on most Monday nights, and I still refer to the field as a "field" and soccer as "soccer", although I understand why they still want to say "pitch" and "football" respectively. Every now and again, I'll find myself slipping up and saying "pitch" because they say it so damned much, but for the most part, I stick to my Americanisms. If they get testy about it, I call the game "calcio" instead of "football" (the Italian version). Then when they get pissed about that, I ask them how many World Cups England has and how many Italy has. That usually ends the argument... ;)

Reaction Score
I play with a bunch of English guys on most Monday nights, and I still refer to the field as a "field" and soccer as "soccer", although I understand why they still want to say "pitch" and "football" respectively. Every now and again, I'll find myself slipping up and saying "pitch" because they say it so damned much, but for the most part, I stick to my Americanisms. If they get testy about it, I call the game "calcio" instead of "football" (the Italian version). Then when they get pissed about that, I ask them how many World Cups England has and how many Italy has. That usually ends the argument... ;)

I studied abroad in France in 1995 while at UConn and played on the college team in France (skill level was maybe DIII, Europe does not have college sport programs). Playing our cross-city rival, their top scorer was a trash talking machine (it’s funny in French) and I was a defensive midfielder. During a pause, he was commenting how bad American ‘soccer’ was and I pointed out that the US has been in the last few World Cups and France had not (they won it in 1998). The punk turned around and cold cocked me. He got a nice fancy red card for his effort, while my team won and I did not have to pay for a single drink that night at the pub.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I studied abroad in France in 1995 while at UConn and played on the college team in France (skill level was maybe DIII, Europe does not have college sport programs). Playing our cross-city rival, their top scorer was a trash talking machine (it’s funny in French) and I was a defensive midfielder. During a pause, he was commenting how bad American ‘soccer’ was and I pointed out that the US has been in the last few World Cups and France had not (they won it in 1998). The punk turned around and cold cocked me. He got a nice fancy red card for his effort, while my team won and I did not have to pay for a single drink that night at the pub.

Did his name happen to be Zinedine Zidane by any chance? ;)

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Given the amount of talent UConn's lost over the last few years, this has to be one of Reid's best coaching jobs.

Hopefully it keeps up over the next month, and we can finally get back to the college cup.

Reaction Score
Given the amount of talent UConn's lost over the last few years, this has to be one of Reid's best coaching jobs.

Hopefully it keeps up over the next month, and we can finally get back to the college cup.

Agreed. The team has progressed very nicely this season, after looking like they could be in for real trouble back in September. It's a team with a fair amount of young talent that has been on an excellent run in the latter half of the season.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

It's France. You can insult him, his wife, even his mistress. But don't EVER insult his wine or his football.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Great first half, UC up 2-0. Winner plays USF for the title.

Video here: http://post original url/uckgRwmsiC

Reaction Score
It's France. You can insult him, his wife, even his mistress. But don't EVER insult his wine or his football.

Les Blues lost to Ukraine today 2 to 0, their World Cup hopes just took a big hit.

Reaction Score
UConn lost to USF 6 to 5 on PK's after a 0 to 0 draw through regulation and OT in Dallas for the American Conf title. Only good news is that UConn appears to be a 'lock' for a spot in the NCAA playoffs.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'm going to post the following here too, although I had originally put it in another thread:

"The main factor in a penalty shootout is luck again.
You need to stay calm and focused but the biggest thing you need is luck."

Peter Shilton
Former England Goalkeeper

PK's are such a brutal way to lose a game. Let's hope the team gets their emotions back for a nice run in the big tourney. Go Huskies...

Reaction Score
I'm going to post the following here too, although I had originally put it in another thread:

"The main factor in a penalty shootout is luck again.
You need to stay calm and focused but the biggest thing you need is luck."

Peter Shilton
Former England Goalkeeper

PK's are such a brutal way to lose a game. Let's hope the team gets their emotions back for a nice run in the big tourney. Go Huskies...

Actually saw a worse way to lose (or in this case tie) a game a few weeks back at a high school soccer game - Bergen County Girl’s championship between undefeated (something like 60 games in a row) Northern Highlands and IHA. Tied 1 to 1 in the waning moments (the field clock is turned-off under 2 minutes) of the second OT, Highlands intercepts an IHA pass deep in their own end and a quick feed sets-up a 1 on 1 breakaway on the goalkeeper. A second or two later, the girl is about to take a shot from about 15 yards from the net and the referee blows the whistle ending the game. The look of shock on both team’s faces and the stunned silence of the 1,500 in attendance said it all. Bergen County championships do not go to PK’s. Ended as a tie.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Actually saw a worse way to lose (or in this case tie) a game a few weeks back in the a high school soccer game - Bergen County Girl’s championship between undefeated (something like 60 games in a row) Northern Highlands and IHA. Tied 1 to 1 in the waning moments (the field clock is turned-off under 2 minutes) of the second OT, Highlands intercepts an IHA pass deep in their own end and a quick feed sets-up a 1 on 1 breakaway on the goalkeeper. A second or two later, the girl is about to take a shot from about 15 yards from the net and the referee blows the whistle ending the game. The look of shock on both team’s faces and the stunned silence of the 1,500 in attendance said it all. Bergen County championships do not go to PK’s. Ended as a tie.

Incredible! Stopping the final attack seconds away from the shot is sacrilege! In Europe and South America, that ref would not have made it off the field...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom