Lack of Bigs coach | The Boneyard

Lack of Bigs coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I recall this being brought up before. But if we were to land Stone. Do we need a legitimate big man coach to help our Bigs. Kevin Freeman's okay but wasn't he a small forward at Uconn. KO needs to find someone to teach our PFS and CTRS the proper techniques and nuances of the low post game. Stone, Enoch, Nolan, Brimah and Rock could elevate their games to better heights.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I recall this being brought up before. But if we were to land Stone. Do we need a legitimate big man coach to help our Bigs. Kevin Freeman's okay but wasn't he a small forward at Uconn. KO needs to find someone to teach our PFS and CTRS the proper techniques and nuances of the low post game. Stone, Enoch, Nolan, Brimah and Rock could elevate their games to better heights.
Glen Miller. And no Freeman did not play SF.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Freeman was a power forward but I agree we can use a centers coach

pj

Reaction Score
If Nolan and Brimah are already elevating their games, and a slender guy like Deandre Daniels was a successful power forward, led us to a championship, and got drafted, haven't we proven we can coach bigs?

Reaction Score
glen miller does player development and he is quite fantastic at it. See : amida brimah. I bet he was not a great ft shooter coming in, but looks extremely polished there. also great at keeping the ball high and looking for open teammates on the weak side. Pretty sure his passing is directly related to his soccer background. But the main point is everybody is being developed on the roster at a high rate. 3 stars outplaying 5 star prospects etc.

Reaction Score
Freeman isn't even a "coach" coach, DOBOs don't instruct players on the floor.

caw

Reaction Score
K-Free was a PF for three years and a PF/SF for one.

Let's see how much our young bigs progress this year. Nolan made solid strides between his Fr and So year. Brimah progressed a ton during the year. Both Daniels and Giffey were more stretch fours, when they played there, so not sure how you would count them.

Facey, Brimah, Nolan and Lubin will determine how well this team does and if a big man coach is needed. I expect the three returners to be quite improved.

Reaction Score
Having a dedicated big man coach would be ideal however we have proven its not essential. Looking back perhaps Thabeet could have benefited from one, but everyone else seems to be developing quite well. Actually quite well enough to get drafted and many of the rest NBA looks or get overseas. Not every college big (or other position for that matter) is good enough to make an NBA roster, and UConn is no exception. We just need them to be good enough to contribute and be productive to the team.

Lastly college ain't like the NBA where a big man has to develop 'very' rapidly.

Reaction Score
This is ridiculous. Just because a coach didn't play the 5 means little. Miller and Freeman may be two of the best big coaches in the country for all we know. I remember a time when JC was criticized for not knowing how to coach bigs. Do we really believe that Ollie wouldn't make a change if he thought it would make the team better?

Reaction Score
I wasn't knocking our coaches with this tread. But wanted to know if it would make a difference if we were to have one with the development of our current and future PF'S and CTRS. Was Freeman a tweener and how was his low post game?

Reaction Score
I wasn't knocking our coaches with this tread. But wanted to know if it would make a difference if we were to have one with the development of our current and future PF'S and CTRS. Was Freeman a tweener and how was his low post game?

Why do you keep talking about KFree, DOBOs do not coach guys out on the floor

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Just a reminder that Pete Newell was the greatest big man coach of all time. Pete Newell.

Reaction Score
Having a dedicated big man coach would be ideal however we have proven its not essential. Looking back perhaps Thabeet could have benefited from one, but everyone else seems to be developing quite well. Actually quite well enough to get drafted and many of the rest NBA looks or get overseas. Not every college big (or other position for that matter) is good enough to make an NBA roster, and UConn is no exception. We just need them to be good enough to contribute and be productive to the team.

Lastly college ain't like the NBA where a big man has to develop 'very' rapidly.

thabeet showed more consistent development than any uconn player (big or otherwise) that i can remember

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Glen Miller. And no Freeman did not play SF.

Well, a bit of SF his senior year (presumably prep for a potential NBA fit) iirc. It didn't really work out.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

Thabeet went from 6.2 Pts & 6.4 Rbs & 3.8 Blocks as a Frosh who spent half the game on his ass to 13.6 Pts & 10.8 Rbs & 4.2 Blocks as a Junior where he was the co Big East Player of the Year, 2nd Team All-America and National Defensive Player of the Year. I'm not sure how much more a Bigs coach would have gotten out of him.....

I don't think he is the poster child for needing a Bigs coach - just desire and work ethic held him back once he made the league.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If we get Stone (along with Enoch), it shouldn't be a problem.

It's funny how really good big men make coaches look really good at developing bigs.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
thabeet showed more consistent development than any uconn player (big or otherwise) that i can remember

Hilton showed more development, but I suppose it wasn't as consistent as Thabeet's. HA just blew up as a senior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom