LA Sparks @ Washington Mystics 8/23 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

LA Sparks @ Washington Mystics 8/23

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
LA is putting a little window dressing on it, 77-55 now. Don't think the margin is going to get to 40.

Sparks have Parker, Ogwumike and Lavender all on the floor together. I don't think I've see that lineup before.
I think that was the starting front court in L.A. a few years ago. Or at least, I think they played together some.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Waving the white flag. Vadeeva, Samuelson and Wiese all entered the game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Nneka and Gray shot a combined 4-21. Candace had 13 in the first half, hit a 3 to start Q3, then didn't score the rest of the way.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
SWK with a jumper, a steal, and a layup. Making good use of her PT.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
6 in double figures for Washington, only 1 for LA.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
96-64 total beatdown.

Shooting percentages: 57% to 35%. That's usually a winning formula.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What a terrific and entertaining game. Well rounded performance by Washington - a very dangerous team. Happy to see LA go down, but more than that, it was great seeing Washington with a game plan that was well played and well executed.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Washington's starting lineup has been really, really effective...

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
What a terrific and entertaining game. Well rounded performance by Washington - a very dangerous team. Happy to see LA go down, but more than that, it was great seeing Washington with a game plan that was well played and well executed.

Oh dear me! LA lost...this is terrible. I am just crushed. Waves of sadness, tears of agony.

Don’t believe everything you read on the Internet.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Congratulations Washington Mystics!! Washington gained the lead, and they didn't let up. Atkins is having an amazing year.

Whoever had the Sparks winning, I know they are feeling sick :).

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The victor was as I expected, but I wasn't expecting quite such a beatdown. The Mystics look really good; I wouldn't want to be Atlanta.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
LA must have been exhausted and sounds like they played that way. Understandable given the ridiculous travel they had to endure. That said, LA is the most talented team in the league and had no business finishing 6th in the standings. I do wonder whether Agler is one of those coaches who has a limited shelf life with teams. Do players eventually tune him out? I guess we'll see next year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
LA must have been exhausted and sounds like they played that way. Understandable given the ridiculous travel they had to endure. That said, LA is the most talented team in the league and had no business finishing 6th in the standings. I do wonder whether Agler is one of those coaches who has a limited shelf life with teams. Do players eventually tune him out? I guess we'll see next year.
I can think of one L.A. player who knows better than her coaches. Or she thinks she does. ;)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

This year they were far from being the most talented team in the league. Beard and especially Sims had down years compared to a season ago. Same with Nneka and she has been out or not playing well for the last month. Their bench is inconsistent and everyone else in the league got a lot better. I agree they should’ve finished better than 6th, but the difference between 2nd and 9th was miniscule for most of the year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This year they were far from being the most talented team in the league. Beard and especially Sims had down years compared to a season ago. Same with Nneka and she has been out or not playing well for the last month. Their bench is inconsistent and everyone else in the league got a lot better. I agree they should’ve finished better than 6th, but the difference between 2nd and 9th was miniscule for most of the year.

Well of course they didn't play up to their talent. That's the point.

The 9th best team won 14 games and the 2nd best team won 23 games. That's not minuscule.

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Washington's starting lineup has been really, really effective...

What's impressive about that lineup is that obviously EDD is a one of a kind talent (that Griner/EDD/Diggins draft may never be duplicated), and Toliver was certainly heralded coming out of MD (though she's a 9 yr veteran), but the other 3 players did not come into the WNBA with a lot of hype. Thibault does a very good job of finding and elevating talent.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

LA dealt with alot of injuries this season. Candace for a stretch and then Nneka for a stretch of game really put them in a bad position. More than anything, the scheduling to finish off the season was atrocious and considering they fly commercial in the WNBA, that makes atrocious even worse.

Regardless, next season they will be back to the typical type of scheduling in the regular season, but still, the WNBA needs to do better with this single elimination schedule. Give at least 3 days off after regular season and 2 - 3 days off between rounds. Cramming that schedule so tight when players are playing year round already, really isn't good.

And yes, about Agler. He has to do more to prepare his bench.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

I have to wonder if Beard is done. Agler needs to get Wiese in the starting line up for more offense. Wiese came into the season this year with some type of injury that kept her off the court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom