LA Sparks @ Washington Mystics 8/23 | The Boneyard

LA Sparks @ Washington Mystics 8/23

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Game is underway. Much better energy level from Parker so far today than the previous game.

What's with these playoff games being played on college campuses? The Mercury game was at Arizona St. and the Mystics are playing on George Washington's floor. I can't imagine there were scheduling conflicts. NBA season is long since over and I think NHL is too? What else could be going on?

Washington leading 15-13 at 4:20 mark of Q1.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
They were trading buckets for a while but now the Mystics are up 37-22. Parker and Beard are playing decent but Nneka and Gray are no shows so far.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
They were trading buckets for a while but now the Mystics are up 37-22. Parker and Beard are playing decent but Nneka and Gray are no shows so far.

I read somewhere that Nneka was diagnosed with mono?

If so, then by continuing to play (she played the other night) she is probably running on fumes at best. For most of us, the family doctor would have ordered bed rest, and lots of it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I read somewhere that Nneka was diagnosed with mono?

If so, then by continuing to play (she played the other night) she is probably running on fumes at best. For most of us, the family doctor would have ordered bed rest, and lots of it.

Yeah, the playoff game against Minnesota was the first I heard that mentioned. She did miss several games during the season due to illness, it was never specified previously.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
50-29 at the half. LA has taken some terrible shots, airballs, missing bunnies.

Washington is getting balanced scoring and is just cruising at this point.

Reaction Score
when you add to that the fact that Toliver hasn't even made a 3-pointer yet, well... you get the picture :cool:

Chelsea Gray hasn't made a shot yet. She had 26 pts in the last game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Los Angeles had a tough game against Minnesota and a lot of travel. They look old and tired tonight. Washington is pushing the pace and being very effective. When Cloud and Hawkins are making threes to supplement EDD and KT, this is a dangerous team. EDD is rebounding hard.

Nneka has mono, which was hard to diagnose in her case. Candace has nausea and headaches. She should get checked for mono too. I had it in high school, so I know the headaches.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Mystics are just crushing LA. Now it's 60-34.

Gray hits them regularly, but she takes so many tough, low percentage shots. Tonight they are not dropping at all, still no FG for her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Natasha Cloud played at Cardinal O'Hara (in the tough Philly Catholic League) and was the #96 recruit in 2010. She went to Maryland and transferred to St. Joseph's, so she was under the radar. Coach Mike liked her and drafted her. She has made herself into a solid player.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Gray and Nneka both got their first FG in back to back possessions. But LA can't get a stop on the other end to save their life. Mystics' role players are performing very well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tianna Hawkins was an unranked (not top 100) recruit who went to Maryland. She was overshadowed by Lynetta Kizer and Alyssa Thomas, but she quietly made herself a solid player, especially as a rebounder, at Maryland. She added the 3-point shot. She is now an effective bench player for the Mystics. Interesting story--from a unranked high school recruit to the WNBA Playoffs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gray and Nneka both got their first FG in back to back possessions. But LA can't get a stop on the other end to save their life. Mystics' role players are performing very well.
Washington is shooting 60/50/100. Phenomenal!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Tolliver finally hit a 3. Not that Washington has needed it. 73-44 w/ about a minute left in Q3.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well this is fitting. As good as Minnesota and LA were the two previous seasons, neither of them played consistently well this season. Both will be done early in the playoffs. As someone who doesn't follow the WNBA very closely I'm happy to see a changing of the guard, more interesting to me.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Both Minnesota and L.A. struggled in the regular season. As a result, they had to play in the first round and lost home court advantage eventually. It was an uphill battle for both, and ultimately too much.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well this is fitting. As good as Minnesota and LA were the two previous seasons, neither of them played consistently well this season. Both will be done early in the playoffs. As someone who doesn't follow the WNBA very closely I'm happy to see a changing of the guard, more interesting to me.
Young and athletic is the new M.O. in the league. Minnesota is one of the slowest teams in the league and the oldest. L.A. isn't quite as slow or old, but the younger teams attack them relentlessly. Watch Washington, Connecticut, Atlanta, Seattle, and even Las Vegas in terms of how they push pace.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
LA is putting a little window dressing on it, 77-55 now. Don't think the margin is going to get to 40.

Sparks have Parker, Ogwumike and Lavender all on the floor together. I don't think I've see that lineup before.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
L.A. made a run with their pressure defense and FT shooting, but Washington's starters came back in and went on a 10-0 run. The Sparks are toast.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom