OT: - LA/SoCal Boneyard Best of Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: LA/SoCal Boneyard Best of Thread

Reaction Score
If anyone wants to DM me about SD food/beer/bars, I’ve lived downtown and have explored the whole county for 5 years

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Donuts and burgers everywhere.

My ex got me into Tommy's Burgers. I think mostly in Canoga Park, but other locations as well. Brent's Deli in Northridge was another spot. Pink's Hot Dogs. She and her dad were also fond of a Japanese Curry place in downtown, but I can't recall the name.

Reaction Score
LOL I lived on Abbot Kinney in the mid 80's . it was awesome (and cheap!) Was in LA a couple years ago took a trip to Venice and it was no different than seeing what happened to the NYC Alphabets I used to live at right after LA. Both just entirely different places now.

It's an outdoor mall for rich people and influencers these days. I feel the same way walking around a lot of Manhattan.

I've been here for 15 years. At first I hated it but now I love it. I miss living on the east coast on occasion - particularly when fall starts or I'm making a mortgage payment - but I can't see myself moving back any time soon.

Reaction Score
My ex got me into Tommy's Burgers. I think mostly in Canoga Park, but other locations as well. Brent's Deli in Northridge was another spot. Pink's Hot Dogs. She and her dad were also fond of a Japanese Curry place in downtown, but I can't recall the name.

I like Brent's a lot. I'm not a huge chili guy so I never got into Tommy's, but it is really almost absurd how many good burger spots there are out here. They're everywhere.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
The original Tommy's is downtown and a definite must visit once - bring your own stent. Brent's is the best Jewish Deli in LA as far as I'm concerned. Way better than Canters and a bit better than Langers.

The place you are thinking of is called 'The Curry House'. Was a very common place for people at work to pick for their birthday lunch.

Reaction Score
My in-laws live just north of La Jolla in Del Mar
North County is a postcard. All the coastal towns have their own charm and there are no shortage of good food/drink options. And if you're into beer SD is the country's capital

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The original Tommy's is downtown and a definite must visit once - bring your own stent. Brent's is the best Jewish Deli in LA as far as I'm concerned. Way better than Canters and a bit better than Langers.

The place you are thinking of is called 'The Curry House'. Was a very common place for people at work to pick for their birthday lunch.

Yeah she brought me to downtown Tommy's the first time for the experience. But she lived in West Hills, pretty close to the canyons, so repeat trips were in Canogo Park (I think) most of the time. I kinda, sorta learned to figure out where I was in LA...some of the time.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Since this includes SoCal, I'll throw in for BASIC pizza in San Diego, right across the street from right field at Petco Park. It's a very loud industrial bar area, but the pizza is a legit attempt at NH style. I've enjoyed it on multiple occasions when not otherwise eating fish tacos.

Nice to see a mention of Go Get Em Tiger for coffee in LA. Back when I was an Intelligentsia client 15 years ago, I got to work with Kyle a bit. An exceptional person, IMO.

Been to SoCal maybe a dozen times between LA and SD. In SD, I was usually on my own so got to explore. In LA it was almost always with a work group for a convention, so our dining out tended to be more bar/entertainment complexes. Wish I'd gotten to know the food scene better there, but I did finally get to an In & Out a couple years ago and it would crush all FF burger places here in Pgh, short of Five Guys. Also was introduced to a pastrami-topped burger at Stacked in Torrance. Was also extremely disappointed with Monkish on that trip. Pretentious as all get-out, and the menu was mostly sours and bad experiments on my visit. I did enjoy Smog City, however.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My in-laws live just north of La Jolla in Del Mar- I think we've been to George's The Cove- did its windows break a couple of years ago from heavy surf/tides? Maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else. What's good in Del Mar? We'll be visiting again once Covid vaccines are given
I lived in North San Diego County when I was a grunt corpsman with the United States Marine Corps. I was ther in the late 70’s/early 80’s. So who knows if any of these places are still in existence. There was an awesome music venue/bar in Encinitas called the BellyUp. As far as restaurants, I always loved Mexican food, and the one I loved the most was Maria No. 5. It had little to none ambiance, i.e. paper placemats, no decor., but the Sonoran-style food could not be beat.
There was also a racetrack for trotters in Del Mar, which was always fun, although I preferred to go to TJ to lose my money at Agua Caliente, a thoroughbred racetrack that has since been converted to greyhound racing.
La Jolla is great for shopping and restaurants if you want to blow a lot of $$$$

Reaction Score
My in-laws live just north of La Jolla in Del Mar- I think we've been to George's The Cove- did its windows break a couple of years ago from heavy surf/tides? Maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else. What's good in Del Mar? We'll be visiting again once Covid vaccines are given
There’s a solid area just inland to the 5 from Del Mar called One Paseo. Good brewery, the best/only imitation of new Haven pizza at URBN I’ve seen out here, a couple other spots

You should go up north to Cardiff/Encinitas and Carlsbad. In between is Leucadia, with La Papagayo that has one of the best brunches (namely chilaquiles) I’ve had out here. DM me if you want more info regarding Encinitas/Carlsbad

Reaction Score
Check out Las Olas in Carlsbad for decent mexican food with a sweet ocean view. Then walk it off for an hour around downtown Cbad

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Anyone tried the cheesesteak from Papa Jake's? Just read about the place in a Connelly novel and wondering if it's worth the trip.

Reaction Score
Prob have some glaring omissions here just bc we can't go out at the moment, but...

Pizza: LIttle Coyote, Milana's Brooklyn Squares (Both in Long Beach). Pizzana in Brentwood
Italian: Factory Kitchen (DTLA), Jame Enoteca (El Segundo - guy comes from Melisse), Sfixio WeHo
Italian subs: Heroic Deli & Bay Cities in Samo, Eat Drink Americano in DTLA
Seafood: Water Grill Santa Monica
Japanese: Takuma, Sushi King (both in SaMo)
Greek: Pita Kitchen (sherman oaks)
Southern: Hatchet Hall (Culver City)
Street Food: Bang Bang Noodles (Highland Park)
Mexican: Sonoratown (DTLA)
MBPost in Manhattan Beach
Breweries: For the beer: The Bruery, Monkish, any of them in Arts District for the environment over beer
I thought the Water Grill was disappointing not sure if they’ve gone downhill or maybe they had rust since they just reopened. I don’t care about spending $250 on a dinner but Shell & Bones (new haven) was much better IMO.

was unimpressed with the Italian places I had also but was limited in the choices since not everywhere is open currently

Mexican and Asian was great though. Also had some great breakfast brunch spots

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom