Kyle Filipowski throat punched during game | The Boneyard

Kyle Filipowski throat punched during game

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The ghost of Grayson Allen

Reaction Score
Bias aside, I agree with the no call. Players do that celebration all the time, and it's like even like his arm was wildly flailing, in which case I would have understood a flagrant being called. He had no clue Filipowski was there

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am fine with the non-call, but I also would have been fine with a flagrant since it’s excessive contact above the shoulders. There is no intent requirement for flagrant fouls.

Reaction Score
if this is a no-call against uconn this board is in flames.

feel bad because obviously there was no ill-intent but he did just punch a dude in the throat. celebration or not, i'm not sure how that is just nothing. you can do whatever you want, provided you're happy? can just aimlessly swing your closed fists around after any good thing that happens? to me, at any point during a basketball play, if you swing your arms like that....it's a foul. so why is this any different?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Bias aside, I agree with the no call. Players do that celebration all the time, and it's like even like his arm was wildly flailing, in which case I would have understood a flagrant being called. He had no clue Filipowski was there

I agree, but they call flagrant ones all the time when an offensive player is merely shooting the ball, like they did to Cuse last night vs UNC

They just $uck at their jobs, which is made more difficult by the geeks that sit in board rooms

Reaction Score
I agree, but they call flagrant ones all the time when an offensive player is merely shooting the ball, like they did to Cuse last night vs UNC

They just $uck at their jobs, which is made more difficult by the geeks that sit in board rooms
Ehh, pretty big difference between this and the cuse flagrant last night. Mintz knew where the defender was, was out of control and displacing the defender, and led with his elbow (above the shoulder).

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I’ve seen so many near misses like this. First one I saw connect. And I was watching it live. I was like what just happened? Replay looked brutal. Kid didn’t even apologize. Lol.

willie99

Reaction Score
Ehh, pretty big difference between this and the cuse flagrant last night. Mintz knew where the defender was, was out of control and displacing the defender, and led with his elbow (above the shoulder).

Was he supposed to keep his elbow under his shoulder when shooting? That would be rather odd (except for maybe AJ) :)

It was clearly a charge, not clearly a flagrant, I'm thinking that's not a flagrant more often than it is a flagrant

Reaction Score
While our replay of the action wasn't clear from behind the backboard the reaction of the Duke player was infused by their acting school. A complete review by the refs showed nothing so nothing was called. Play on. Duke has been a leader in post action displays of distress.

willie99

Reaction Score
While our replay of the action wasn't clear from behind the backboard the reaction of the Duke player was infused by their acting school. A complete review by the refs showed nothing so nothing was called. Play on. Duke has been a leader in post action displays of distress.

They do take drama classes. I think one of ESPN's 20/20 shows about a Dookie had him admitting they are taught to flop. He was proud of it too

I call it cheating

Reaction Score
Was he supposed to keep his elbow under his shoulder when shooting? That would be rather odd (except for maybe AJ) :)

It was clearly a charge, not a flagrant, I'm thinking that's not a flagrant more often than it is
I think the vast majority of the time players are keeping their elbows down much more than that in a Eurostep... largely because if you make contact to the head you're probably getting called for a foul. Mintz was out of control, made an unnecessary move, and contact the head. I think it could have gone either way but I have trouble with the argument that it wasn't a flagrant by definition.

On the Filipowski play, it's definitely a lot less clear than some folks are making it out to be. Opinions from refs seem to be all over the map. My guess is it's related to the interpretation of "avoidable". The argument for a flagrant is that it was avoidable because he could have just not celebrated like that. The argument against is that he had no way of knowing Filipowski was right there so contact was unavoidable. The wording of the rule is very vague and should be updated.

Reaction Score
No he had his elbows up turning to outlet. Still don't understand how that basketball play is as bad as the non-basketball play right after.
I know I'm in the minority on this one but I think the call on DC was the correct one. It's one thing to toss your elbows out to secure a rebound, but it was pretty obvious in the moment DC was reacting to a no-call on the other end and swung his elbows out sort of recklessly - or it could at the least be perceived that way. Jockeying for a rebound doesn't give you an unchecked right to throw bows.

Good kid, great player, think he was frustrated and put too much into the elbow swing. Happens. Not even close to the top 20 most egregious calls that have gone against us this year.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I am fine with the non-call, but I also would have been fine with a flagrant since it’s excessive contact above the shoulders. There is no intent requirement for flagrant fouls.
Announcers were explicit in saying that the rule applied to contact irrespective of the intent, though the first provision of the Flagrant 1 rule is not precisely detailed. This almost has a, "Hard cases make bad law" vibe.

Filipowski cleared got dangerously rocked, and the VT guy had an instant, "YEAH, yikes, oops, play on" response. It COULD have altered the game's outcome.

In last night's UNC-Syracuse game, Judah Mintz barreled to the basket with under 10 seconds and his offensive foul included a clear, hard (though to me coincidental) solid elbow to the head of Love/Davis (can't remember which). After the night before's ACC non-call, I wondered which way it would go. The Flagrant 1 WAS called, giving UNC even stronger chance to ice the game, and the neccesity to call irrespective of intent was again highlighted by announcers.

I watched both incidents and their reporting in real-time, with a home vs. away game/ACC/DUKE/UNC/Syracuse(!)/ESPN/Ratings/Rankings filtered lens turned up beyond 11.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

I didn’t know @Fishy had a son who played for Virginia Tech!

I'd have been more likely to call a flop on Filakowsky than the other way around. There was a glancing blow, but he jerked his had back himself, a second or so after the contact. Certainly not from the force of the contact. His head movement was a straight up attempt at drawing a foul call from the ref.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
No he had his elbows up turning to outlet. Still don't understand how that basketball play is as bad as the non-basketball play right after.
Sarcasm. Both were unintentional and end result was contact above the shoulder.
They didn’t call it on Virginia tech because it would have decided the final outcome of the gave and that would have really sucked

Reactions: caw

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd have been more likely to call a flop on Filakowsky than the other way around. There was a glancing blow, but he jerked his had back himself, a second or so after the contact. Certainly not from the force of the contact. His head movement was a straight up attempt at drawing a foul call from the ref.
I hadn’t noticed that when I first watched it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom