Kyle Filipowski throat punched during game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kyle Filipowski throat punched during game

Reaction Score
I'd have been more likely to call a flop on Filakowsky than the other way around. There was a glancing blow, but he jerked his had back himself, a second or so after the contact. Certainly not from the force of the contact. His head movement was a straight up attempt at drawing a foul call from the ref.
You think the direct punch to his throat was a “glancing blow” and he was flopping? Well, that’s a take.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You think the direct punch to his throat was a “glancing blow” and he was flopping? Well, that’s a take.
Re-watch the video. There’s definitely a delay between the hit and the reaction. That doesn’t necessarily mean that he was faking it, but it’s worth noting.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score

I didn’t know @Fishy had a son who played for Virginia Tech!

"absolutely ROCKED"?? Looked like he barely made any contact, if he made any at all.

Reaction Score

he threw up from the contact (allegedly) and had to beg to actually go back in the game (there is def footage of this)

that being said - not losing sleep over Duke not getting a call for the first time this half century.

they also got called for a flop technical earlier in the game for what it's worth

Reaction Score
I don't think this is a foul by the book or otherwise. He kept his arms close to his body, didn't extend etc. Just bad timing.

The kind of flagrant Clingan got irks me, but I can understand wanting to protect players noggins. In my opinion, if you want to go elbows out and clear space after a rebound, that's just physical basketball. I live for that kind of physicality--it's what makes the game fun.

If nothing else, we can all agree that someone getting punched in the throat is pretty funny. No real risk of permanent damage... just super unlucky.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'd have been more likely to call a flop on Filakowsky than the other way around. There was a glancing blow, but he jerked his had back himself, a second or so after the contact. Certainly not from the force of the contact. His head movement was a straight up attempt at drawing a foul call from the ref.
It was pretty much like this

World Cup Football GIF

Reaction Score
Re-watch the video. There’s definitely a delay between the hit and the reaction. That doesn’t necessarily mean that he was faking it, but it’s worth noting.
I'm seeing what you're seeing but he took a direct hard punch to the throat, I'm going to go ahead and say he wasn't faking it. Have you ever been hit in the throat? A lot less contact than that is still very painful and causes a significant reaction.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It was pretty much like this

World Cup Football GIF
Lol, this is great. One of my kids was a master at baiting the opposing player, and then going for the dramatic flop after the inevitable shove. It’s a soccer thing. Here they just eliminated the beating and the shove, and went right for the dramatic flop. It’s just more efficient.

Reaction Score
"absolutely ROCKED"?? Looked like he barely made any contact, if he made any at all.
Out of all the takes I expected to see on this, “he didn’t actually get punched” is not one of them.

It’s also just an insane take.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Remember the days of guys being able to guard themselves by swing elbows after a rebound. Like Adrien. Good times

Reaction Score
If only this had happened to Grayson Allen instead. Nobody would be arguing if it was flagrant.

Reaction Score
When I was a cheerleader, I was standing near the baseline doing motions along with the fight song (in other words, I was flailing my arms around). One of the motions involved throwing my closed fist out to my side at shoulder height. Unbeknownst to me, there was a Duke player's face right where my fist was heading, and it connected.

Now you may be asking, "How is that possible?! Are you 7'6"?!" Unfortunately, no. The Duke player happened to be a 5-foot-tall woman.

Reaction Score
When I was a cheerleader, I was standing near the baseline doing motions along with the fight song (in other words, I was flailing my arms around). One of the motions involved throwing my closed fist out to my side at shoulder height. Unbeknownst to me, there was a Duke player's face right where my fist was heading, and it connected.

Now you may be asking, "How is that possible?! Are you 7'6"?!" Unfortunately, no. The Duke player happened to be a 5-foot-tall woman.
Did you get a flagrant 1?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Out of all the takes I expected to see on this, “he didn’t actually get punched” is not one of them.

It’s also just an insane take.

Still don't see more than a fist pump that was pulled as soon as he was aware Filipowski after contacting the chin. But rocked? It's not even a jab, let alone a punch with follow through. There's contact, but Filipowski's overly delayed response shows he was selling it.

Reaction Score
Another angle:

Performance by Filipowski was below Razzies level. Almost could see the gears grinding in his brain as he slowly realized that he should flail his arms and act like he was shot.

He will have to flop a lot better than that if he wants to keep playing at Duke.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom