Kyla , where have you been ? | The Boneyard

Kyla , where have you been ?

Reaction Score
I find it a little strange that Kyla was a starter for much of the season to date, yet she has 12 minutes payed in the last 4 games and ZERO minutes the past two games. How does that happen ? I know teams evolve over the course of a season, but I can't remember a time when something like this has happened when injury/illness was not a factor. I know she will get a start on senior day, and I hope she shines.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Kyla is a smart basketball player and a wonderful teammate. She is somewhat limited athletically, but at the start of the season Kyla’s ability to knock down open shots and facilitate the offense made her a viable option when Anna initially struggled.

Unfortunately, opponents realized that UConn struggled to be effective against zone defenses with Kyla in the “triple-threat” spot at the high post. Kyla’s production fell while her turnovers increased, resulting in limited PT.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno has to find as many minutes for Aubrey and Anna as possible to get them as close to ready as possible. While Kyla brings a known level of performance, to get to the FF, we need our FF. (Fabulous Freshman)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geno has to find as many minutes for Aubrey and Anna as possible to get them as close to ready as possible. While Kyla brings a known level of performance, to get to the FF, we need our FF. (Fabulous Freshman)
While I largely agree with this, Geno left his starters in until the end of the game vs. USF. No idea why he couldn't find minutes for Kyla, Batouly and Evelyn at the end of the game - sure the final score would have been closer, but the game was well in hand.

Geno has said "we are going to have lots of good players next year and will play them all". Unfortunately, his actions do not support that. I hope he's as good as his word, but recent history is not on his side. By the way, Anna didn't play the entire second half except for the first few minutes of Q3, then she was yanked for making some mistakes (and being too slow for their quick guards).

Opposing coaches have used, successfully, the mantra "don't go to UCONN if you want to play. Unless you are a star, you will ride the pine". Geno is currently doing nothing to refute that line of thinking.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I largely agree with this, Geno left his starters in until the end of the game vs. USF. No idea why he couldn't find minutes for Kyla, Batouly and Evelyn at the end of the game - sure the final score would have been closer, but the game was well in hand.

Geno has said "we are going to have lots of good players next year and will play them all". Unfortunately, his actions do not support that. I hope he's as good as his word, but recent history is not on his side. By the way, Anna didn't play the entire second half except for the first few minutes of Q3, then she was yanked for making some mistakes (and being too slow for their quick guards).

Opposing coaches have used, successfully, the mantra "don't go to UCONN if you want to play. Unless you are a star, you will ride the pine". Geno is currently doing nothing to refute that line of thinking.
Yes, it probably would have been nice to get the reserves in for a few minutes. At the same time, UConn only had a 5-pt lead at the start of the 4th qtr, and it felt like the Bulls were still in the game until it completely got away from them with 3-4 minutes left.

Reaction Score
Regarding Kyla's lack of playing time, I think Geno is trying to do two things. Kyla's performance level is known and her time wearing a UCONN uniform is nearing an end. The upside of the current freshmen is far greater from my perspective and investments in their future need to be made. UCONN will have to integrate six (6) new players into the system next year (i.e., the five freshmen plus Evina Westbrook). Playing Aubrey and Anna allows them to make near-term contributions, grow as players and make assessments now before the influx of new players arrive.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yes, it probably would have been nice to get the reserves in for a few minutes. At the same time, UConn only had a 5-pt lead at the start of the 4th qtr, and it felt like the Bulls were still in the game until it completely got away from them with 3-4 minutes left.
Fair enough. But at the 3 minute mark, we were up 60-43. We held USF to 6 points in the 4th quarter and 18 in the 2nd half. In fairness, USF kept all their starters in (I believe) till the end so maybe that's why Geno did the same.

Reaction Score

I understand everyone's sentiments. But Geno now in " play-off " mode. He had his best team on the court during most of yesterday's second half. And he wanted to push it.

He knows what Kyla can do ( and not do ) and the same with Molly. They were never of the caliber to play a major role on a team battling for the national title. We love them both, but compassion takes a back seat now.

He wants the new starting five to get used to playing together. And he will also measure a role for Ania. But his best five-player combination includes Aubrey. Aubrey can harass nearly any point guard in the country not name Ionesco. Something even the fabulous Crystal cannot do as well. And she is one of the best
defenders ( already ) we have seen.

I believe that bench players will get some court time in the next five games. But, mostly, Coach needs to focus on getting that starting five in synch.

And it is the right thing to do.

Reaction Score
I find it a little strange that Kyla was a starter for much of the season to date, yet she has 12 minutes payed in the last 4 games and ZERO minutes the past two games. How does that happen ? I know teams evolve over the course of a season, but I can't remember a time when something like this has happened when injury/illness was not a factor. I know she will get a start on senior day, and I hope she shines.
Just look at her numbers and you will get your answer.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just look at her numbers and you will get your answer.
Actually, Kyla’s overall numbers are pretty good. She leads the team shooting & 3-pt shooting (if you don’t count Evelyn’s 3/3). Kyla has a decent a/to ratio and all her other stats are OK. What is probably more telling is her numbers over the last 5-6 games she started. Her production declined and her to’s increased to the point where a change was necessary.

Reaction Score
Actually, Kyla’s overall numbers are pretty good. She leads the team shooting & 3-pt shooting (if you don’t count Evelyn’s 3/3). Kyla has a decent a/to ratio and all her other stats are OK. What is probably more telling is her numbers over the last 5-6 games she started. Her production declined and her to’s increased to the point where a change was necessary.
Your picking from the past, Look at her recent points, rebounding which has allot of Zeros and tunrover .

Reaction Score

And given Geno’s recent recruiting class I guess recruits are listening.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Your picking from the past, Look at her recent points, rebounding which has allot of Zeros and tunrover .
If you read my post I expressly refer to Kyla’s recent 5-6 games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No idea why he couldn't find minutes for Kyla, Batouly and Evelyn at the end of the game
Nor did I see any evidence of a post game snack. I mean would it kill the guy bake some brownies or at least cut some oranges?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
No idea why he couldn't find minutes for Kyla, Batouly and Evelyn at the end of the game - sure the final score would have been closer, but the game was well in hand.

I predict Kyla, Batouly, and Evelyn will start with Molly and Crystal on Saturday. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Regarding Kyla's lack of playing time, I think Geno is trying to do two things. Kyla's performance level is known and her time wearing a UCONN uniform is nearing an end. The upside of the current freshmen is far greater from my perspective and investments in their future need to be made. UCONN will have to integrate six (6) 3.5 new players into the system next year (i.e., the five freshmen plus Evina Westbrook). Playing Aubrey and Anna allows them to make near-term contributions, grow as players and make assessments now before the influx of new players arrive.
There, I fixed it for you. Evina, Paige and Aaliyah Edwards for sure and possibly Nika Muhl, depending her defense and assimilation of the UConn offense. Piath and Mir, like all raw freshman will struggle to find minutes in the bigger games, especially with an 8-9 person rotation. While I know many love Mir's athleticism and ability to possibly be a defensive nightmare like a finished Gabby was or our current frosh-Aubrey is becoming, there will be more options next year (unlike being forced to use Aubrey this year) that Mir will be lucky to get half the minutes Gabby played from her freshman year (38 games, 15.6 min per part of an 8 person rotation).

We need to be a bit more realistic on these "freshman expectations, especially when we will have 6 very experienced players returning. Remember how many thought Evelyn was going to help? It's hard to assimulate into this system against elite teams and the knowledge all the others already possess-as DT, BS, KLS, NC, Crystal Dangerfield on how their freshman years all went as top 5 recruits?

Reaction Score
Kayla has played well this year. She is a team player. Anna only shots three point shots and she has never score within ten feet of basket as was pointed by five fans here. Kayla tries so hard and Anna clueless on our offense as can been seen in last two games. Kayla should start as team responds to her.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Kayla has played well this year. She is a team player. Anna only shots three point shots and she has never score within ten feet of basket as was pointed by five fans here. Kayla tries so hard and Anna clueless on our offense as can been seen in last two games. Kayla should start as team responds to her.

I’m not sure who Kayla is, but Kyla played well when she was needed, but has been surpassed by Anna and Aubrey. When she was the better option, she got better minutes.

As for Anna’s shooting, I’m attaching her shot chart from the Oregon game. Yes, she’s primarily a three point shooter this year (as was KLS her freshman year), but she does make other shots.
E93927A0-89CD-42F5-9685-483881B5AE4C.jpeg

Reaction Score
Kyla gets the ball, Kyla passes to Megan. Kyla gets the ball, Kyla passes to ONO. Kyla gets the ball, Kyla passes to Crystal. Kyla gets the ball, Kyla passes to anyone else on the floor. I quit counting the times she was wide open and passes to someone who didn't have the shot for all four years. When you are out on the floor and don't want to take that open shot you should not be out on the floor. I do not say that to disrespect Kyla, that goes for any player on the floor. The other team scouts us for every game and they know that if a player will not shoot they can converge on the other four, essentially making it a five on four game.

Reaction Score

Do you have factual evidence of that assertion?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Maybe it's as simple as Auremma asking her to be part of the offense and she refused. Running an offense 4 against 5 is difficult yet that's what UConn has done for most of the season with Irwin in the starting lineup.

How many times have we watched her pass up open shots, even though stats indicate she can make them, in favor of passing the ball.

Irwin was given a great opportunity. Now, if she has lost her starting spot and spends the rest of her final season riding pine it appears to be her choice.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's as simple as Auremma asking her to be part of the offense and she refused. Running an offense 4 against 5 is difficult yet that's what UConn has done for most of the season with Irwin in the starting lineup.

How many times have we watched her pass up open shots, even though stats indicate she can make them, in favor of passing the ball.

Irwin was given a great opportunity. Now, if she has lost her starting spot and spends the rest of her final season riding pine it appears to be her choice.
She never refused any suggestion from Geno or the coaching staff. Ultimate team player, to the point of sacrificing her PT to pass to someone else.

Reaction Score
There, I fixed it for you. Evina, Paige and Aaliyah Edwards for sure and possibly Nika Muhl, depending her defense and assimilation of the UConn offense. Piath and Mir, like all raw freshman will struggle to find minutes in the bigger games, especially with an 8-9 person rotation. While I know many love Mir's athleticism and ability to possibly be a defensive nightmare like a finished Gabby was or our current frosh-Aubrey is becoming, there will be more options next year (unlike being forced to use Aubrey this year) that Mir will be lucky to get half the minutes Gabby played from her freshman year (38 games, 15.6 min per part of an 8 person rotation).

We need to be a bit more realistic on these "freshman expectations, especially when we will have 6 very experienced players returning. Remember how many thought Evelyn was going to help? It's hard to assimulate into this system against elite teams and the knowledge all the others already possess-as DT, BS, KLS, NC, Crystal Dangerfield on how their freshman years all went as top 5 recruits?
Thanks DefenseBB for correcting a post that did not need to be corrected. The phrase "integrate six new players into the system is not the same as implying a certain amount of playing time in the rotation but rather becoming part of the team. While I have no idea how much any of the new freshmen will play, I do believe that the coaching staff will to continue to look for ways to accelerate their playing trajectory.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom