Kyla , where have you been ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kyla , where have you been ?

Reaction Score
And given Geno’s recent recruiting class I guess recruits are listening.
Which non stars are you talking about? We've had many "non-stars" who played significant minutes. Kelly Faris, Kiah Stokes, Saniya Chong, to name a few in the last few years. More importantly, Geno had a two player recruiting class for this year, five player next year, two (and counting) for 2021 and, so far, one for 2022. So that makes 10 players who apparently did not hear about or care about the "don't go to UCONN because....!" rhetoric

Reaction Score
Which non stars are you talking about? We've had many "non-stars" who played significant minutes. Kelly Faris, Kiah Stokes, Saniya Chong, to name a few in the last few years. More importantly, Geno had a two player recruiting class for this year, five player next year, two (and counting) for 2021 and, so far, one for 2022. So that makes 10 players who apparently did not hear about or care about the "don't go to UCONN because....!" rhetoric

I believe we were making the same point - I just tried sarcasm but I accidentally deleted the emoji.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
While I largely agree with this, Geno left his starters in until the end of the game vs. USF. No idea why he couldn't find minutes for Kyla, Batouly and Evelyn at the end of the game - sure the final score would have been closer, but the game was well in hand.

Geno has said "we are going to have lots of good players next year and will play them all". Unfortunately, his actions do not support that. I hope he's as good as his word, but recent history is not on his side. By the way, Anna didn't play the entire second half except for the first few minutes of Q3, then she was yanked for making some mistakes (and being too slow for their quick guards).

Opposing coaches have used, successfully, the mantra "don't go to UCONN if you want to play. Unless you are a star, you will ride the pine". Geno is currently doing nothing to refute that line of thinking.
defensively those who didn't play would have gotten burned on backdoors and switches/screens which would have created open 3's. Aubrey is "athletic" enough to recover from her defensive flaws of play reading

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Thanks DefenseBB for correcting a post that did not need to be corrected. The phrase "integrate six new players into the system is not the same as implying a certain amount of playing time in the rotation but rather becoming part of the team. While I have no idea how much any of the new freshmen will play, I do believe that the coaching staff will to continue to look for ways to accelerate their playing trajectory.
Based on your restatement of what you meant, it still is incorrect as Evina is already integrated as part of the team, so that means 5 players with the coaching staff.
Curious is Jamelle stays on after this year as that is also a dynamic to consider.

Reaction Score
I find it a little strange that Kyla was a starter for much of the season to date, yet she has 12 minutes payed in the last 4 games and ZERO minutes the past two games. How does that happen ? I know teams evolve over the course of a season, but I can't remember a time when something like this has happened when injury/illness was not a factor. I know she will get a start on senior day, and I hope she shines.
Has anyone ever considered that Kyla is injured? She has been seen wearing a boot on her foot since November? She is seen on campus walking with the boot on, she is seen on social media with a boot on...

Reaction Score
Has anyone ever considered that Kyla is injured? She has been seen wearing a boot on her foot since November? She is seen on campus walking with the boot on, she is seen on social media with a boot on...
Kyla started because Geno thought she was the best option at that time. Now she is back in her support role.

Reaction Score
Historically, Geno plays the fewest players he can to win the game. Makes coaching simple. Not uncommon, but if you are not one of the few, not fun. When you hear Geno saying we will be playing 8 or 9 players next year, it is because he got the message: players want to play. They rarely come to a school to be a cheerleader. There is absolutely no reason not to find minutes for 8 players. Makes for a better 'team'.

Reaction Score
"Non Stars"? Kiah Stokes and Saniya Chong were both drafted and played in the WNBA. I wouldn't call those 2 "Non Stars"

Reaction Score
Historically, Geno plays the fewest players he can to win the game. Makes coaching simple. Not uncommon, but if you are not one of the few, not fun. When you hear Geno saying we will be playing 8 or 9 players next year, it is because he got the message: players want to play. They rarely come to a school to be a cheerleader. There is absolutely no reason not to find minutes for 8 players. Makes for a better 'team'.
I'm not sure that Geno "gets" messages" from his players. I think it is more of a message from the type of personnel he has. If He can play seven or eight players that's what he will do. If he thinks he has to play five players then the same five players will be on the floor. The shortness on the bench due to the number of transfers appears to be proof of this. If you could find the term "My way or the highway" in a thesaurus it would probably have Geno's photo next to it.

Reaction Score
I find it a little strange that Kyla was a starter for much of the season to date, yet she has 12 minutes payed in the last 4 games and ZERO minutes the past two games. How does that happen ? I know teams evolve over the course of a season, but I can't remember a time when something like this has happened when injury/illness was not a factor. I know she will get a start on senior day, and I hope she shines.
I believe she is hurt

Reaction Score
"Non Stars"? Kiah Stokes and Saniya Chong were both drafted and played in the WNBA. I wouldn't call those 2 "Non Stars"
With respect to how long they started (if at all), their roles on the team (first, second, third option on offense), and overall UCONN career numbers. Aside from Stokes with her rebounds and blocks, none of the three crack the career top 20, may be even 30, in any stats. I think that qualifies as a "non-Star".

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Looks like @Fan12345 gets a gold star as it was reported that Kyla had a foot injury.
It is an eerily prescient call on his part. Seems as though 12345 joined the board yesterday, and already hit his/her first post out of the park! Maybe it is the all knowing @Carnac posing as a novice? ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Looks like @Fan12345 gets a gold star as it was reported that Kyla had a foot injury.
It is an eerily prescient call on his part. Seems as though 12345 joined the board yesterday, and already hit his/her first post out of the park! Maybe it is the all knowing @Carnac posing as a novice?

Carnac a “poser”?, nay. The all knowing one is on vacation this week as the season winds down, and before we gear up for post season play. His wardrobe is in the cleaners, and his crystal ball is being recalibrated. ;)

Last edited:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Carnac a “poser”?, nay. The all knowing one is on vacation this week as the season winds down, and before we gear up for post season play. His wardrobe is in the cleaners, and his crystal ball is being recalibrated. ;)
Perhaps 12345 is your cleaner? or your calibrator?

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I'm more concerned how 12345 has figured out my password.
I swear Carnac and 12345 are the same guy! Your password must have been in an hermetically sealed envelope.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Well I just changed my password to 23456. Now I feel safe.
Next step in security measures should be to change your handle to Ffib. That would render your account impenetrable. :rolleyes:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Next step in security measures should be to change your handle to Ffib. That would render your account impenetrable. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the tip. You can never be too safe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom