Kyla Irwin | The Boneyard

Kyla Irwin

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There have been a lot of favorable posts about Molly Bent but rarely anything about Irwin.

There are some things Irwin will never be physically and her playing time next year will probaably be even more challenged. But, for weeks it's been pretty clear that on the offensive end of the floor, she is fundamentally sound, gets to good spots on the floor and is unafraid and not half bad at shooting and is a decent passer. A spot role player isn't a huge stretch for her if she doesn't get discouraged.

Reaction Score
There have been a lot of favorable posts about Molly Bent but rarely anything about Irwin.

There are some things Irwin will never be physically and her playing time next year will probaably be even more challenged. But, for weeks it's been pretty clear that on the offensive end of the floor, she is fundamentally sound, gets to good spots on the floor and is unafraid and not half bad at shooting and is a decent passer. A spot role player isn't a huge stretch for her if she doesn't get discouraged.
Agree that she has been terrific, especially on offense. I have been very optimistic from what I have seen, and I think she can be more than just a role player going forward. If her defense and comfort level continue to improve, she will be a consistent contributor, perhaps a major contributor, by her junior year. She has all the offensive tools to be successful in Geno's system of play.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Kyla is becoming more comfortable in the games. I especially clap and cheer harder for her, Molly and Natalie. She plays so hard. Kyla hit 2 3's and a lay up. I was also glad to see Molly get on the board with a 3 pointer.

Reaction Score

If Kyla can become a far more aggressive re-bounder, she will help the team for four years.

Reaction Score
If Kyla can become a far more aggressive re-bounder, she will help the team for four years.
Yes. What I have noticed is that she is too mechanical on defense and when rebounding. Often she concentrates too much on the box out, that she forgets to go after the ball. She needs to play more on instinct, once she perfects her mechanics. Easy for us fans to say and critique. She is doing well.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Kyla is becoming more comfortable in the games. I especially clap and cheer harder for her, Molly and Natalie. She plays so hard. Kyla hit 2 3's and a lay up. I was also glad to see Molly get on the board with a 3 pointer.

I have to make a correction. I thought Kyla hit 2 3's, but according to the stats she hit 1.

Reaction Score

I was going to start the FRESHMAN B.A. OF THE GAME AWARD---and give it to Kyla for the Houston game. Absolutely her best game in a Uconn Uniform!! Scoring all over the floor. Good to better defense--played within the game--few mistakes. Looked like she belonged in that UConn uniform.
Thanks for this posting.

Reaction Score
Posted this on another thread, but for what it's worth ...
First game that I've felt positive about Kyla. For whatever reason she actually looked comfortable out there today, and it showed not only in shooting but the way she handled the ball for the most part. I keep waiting for someone to yank on that braid, but I like it better than Kia's ponytail.
Kyla isn't as big as Butler, but big enough to throw her weight around a little. We can afford a few fouls from her, but not the little ticky-tac ones like today. Make them count!

Reaction Score
Nice kid but have you all been watching the top teams? The quickness, speed, jumping that's just sitting on the bench. No bigger fan than me but let's keep it real. This is an athletic event, who will she play in front of next season? As for the big games coming up, SC and then the sweet sixteen... Geno has 7 if CD gets healthy. And I really hope she gets healthy.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I'm right there with you. Bedford, why so much negativity? I have seen quick, speedy, high jumping teams lose to slow, no jumping teams many times. Kyla has the fundamentals and the talent to be an effective player for Uconn. Osahor never jumps and she leads the country in rebounding and she is the same height as Kyla and not as fast. Given time I believe Kyla will be fine.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Refreshing to note the absence of Irwin Insults and Bent Bashes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kyla's major "weakness" is that she is a bit of a "tweener," undersized to play inside and a little slow to play outside. She also has limited athleticism, especially her vertical. But she runs the floor well and plays hard and smart. Today, she looked confident and took some good shots in scoring her career high. Hopefully, she can build on it.

Reaction Score
Kyla's major "weakness" is that she is a bit of a "tweener," undersized to play inside and a little slow to play outside. She also has limited athleticism, especially her vertical. But she runs the floor well and plays hard and smart. Today, she looked confident and took some good shots in scoring her career high. Hopefully, she can build on it.
We have lots of "tweeners" who are doing pretty well, I'd say. Like Gabby, Lou and Pheese to name a few.

Reaction Score
Yes. What I have noticed is that she is too mechanical on defense and when rebounding. Often she concentrates too much on the box out, that she forgets to go after the ball. She needs to play more on instinct, once she perfects her mechanics. Easy for us fans to say and critique. She is doing well.
Great observation...my sense is that Geno works the kids so hard in practice on the mechanics so that ultimately they become instinct. I remember Stewie saying in an interview how Geno made her perform a defensive maneuver 30 times in one practice until she got it. He would basically blow his whistle and say "again"...that's what separates champions from contenders.
Kyla's (and Molly's) game seems to be evolving nicely. As they master the mechanics and they become second nature their games will be a bit more free flowing.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nice kid but have you all been watching the top teams? The quickness, speed, jumping that's just sitting on the bench. No bigger fan than me but let's keep it real. This is an athletic event, who will she play in front of next season? As for the big games coming up, SC and then the sweet sixteen... Geno has 7 if CD gets healthy. And I really hope she gets healthy.
No one is saying Kyla will be a superstar or anything like that, but that she can be a valuable role player. UConn's history is littered with beloved role players and while none of them were responsible for single-handedly saving games, they all made it possible for the stars to do so by setting screens, tipping balls, getting rebounds, taking charges, etc. More importantly, role players sub in and give minutes that don't hurt the team so that the Geno can take key players out of the game for a rest/foul trouble. I'm pretty sure Kyla and Molly are perfectly capable of doing that.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Irwin Bent and Butler are all improving just in time for SC and the NCAAs . Irwin look especially good yesterday. All 3 are playing with confidence. Now all we need is CD to get healthy and back on the floor. Temple is next. Should be a good game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She looked a lot more comfortable today. Good to see her making the most of her minutes.
I've seen it many times, including at UConn. A freshman comes in and so concerned about the mechanics of what they need do, where they need to be etc. that they forget to be the player that got them on the team in first place.

Kyla needs to relax and play her game. We are seeing that start to happen. Molly is a little further along in that process.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let's keep it more real because i don't think you really are. You are questioning the athleticism of a player on scholarship at UCONN-that is some shameful ish right there!

Reaction Score
IMO, all 3 players need to be more aggressive and a lot more physical on the court. They all have a chance for more PT by showing the coaches they are ready to be trusted.......

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I have felt Kyla has been looking very solid for her last several games.

Yes. That's why I posted. In a lot of ways readier than Molly. Right now Molly is getting even some first half minutes probably because of Dangerfields absence. But Geno
must think she's not ready to mix with the starters because only Butler is going in as a front court sub.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom