Kwintin Williams and NBA2K | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kwintin Williams and NBA2K

Reaction Score
Did any other program recruit him? Honestly what could he have expected? I’m sure he got worked every single practice by Ollie and especially DH

Reaction Score
No big deal. He was given a scholarship by our previous coach based off of his YouTube clips. He's obviously not a UConn level player but he had his head gassed by KO, Hurley was just honest with him. That type of honesty can sometimes be hard to take.

Reaction Score
No big deal. He was given a scholarship by our previous coach based off of his YouTube clips. He's obviously not a UConn level player but he had his head gassed by KO, Hurley was just honest with him. That type of honesty can sometimes be hard to take.

Not only KO, he also had notorious basketball savant @Chief00 clamoring for more minutes for him. Knowing his connections, I would not be surprised if Chief was in his ear too.

Reaction Score
He’s really not that young though lol. He also was being a little “sensitive” in his comments of his IG post too.
I defended him numerous times, like I said in the past, brand awareness he brought is higher than most end of bench guys. That was a positive. Now he seems to just be a bitter man (he’s like 24, he’s not a kid)
He’s the worst scholarship player potentially in the programs history.

24 is young. Not a kid, but definitely young.

He’s also just coming off the whole experience. Maybe in 10 years, he looks back and realizes what really went down. I know I certainly think back on things that happened in my early 20’s and see how I could have handled them better.

Reaction Score

He’s also just coming off the whole experience. Maybe in 10 years, he looks back and realizes what really went down. I know I certainly think back on things that happened in my early 20’s and see how I could have handled them better.
24 for a college player is pretty damn old

C

Chief00

Some choice words from Kwint:

“It’s a great opportunity,” Williams said. “They’ll put my first and last name in the game, all my dunk packages — all the stuff that wasn’t good enough for UConn.”
“The way things went at UConn,” Williams said, “I don’t know if my mind and body can take another year of college basketball. It was a very stressful situation the last couple of years, very hard on me and my family, with what it takes to play at this level and playing for somebody that doesn’t believe in you very hard.”
"I’m not with the jokes on the court,” he said. “I can’t go from the high-intensity practices at UConn to being a Globetrotter. I’d rather do a little something more ‘me.’ The skills I picked up at UConn can translate to somebody’s organization.”
“I was told I didn’t have the skill-set to play here, but I’m glad I still played here,” Williams said. “No hard feelings. It was definitely an eye-opener and a humbling experience, with Dan Hurley telling me what kind of player I was.”

“I’m not too happy about it at all,” he added, “but I’m so happy to be here, and to have been a member of the UConn basketball team.”
I don’t have a problem, it’s his Worldview not mine, but he’s entitled to his opinion. It’s also refreshing to see a guy p*ssed off he did not play more. We have some other guys just happy to be on UConn scholarship.

Reaction Score
Why? He was trying hard to be smart. Smarter at dealing with adversity than Kevin Ollie, who had a few decades on Kwintin.

Well let’s be honest the only fair comparison between Kwintin and Kevin Ollie would be their playing days and dealing with adversity certainly not coaching a Top 10 college basketball program vs playing basketball for the program. And in that case it wasn’t close and I’m sure overall in their “playing” careers it won’t be close either.

As far as what Dan Hurley told him what did he say that was wrong? He was lost on the basketball court so in that case shame on Kevin Ollie as a coach even taking a chance on the young man, he never had a prayer that’s on KO.

Wish him well hope he makes a lot of money and finds a way to create a great life for him and his family.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
YouTube dunker mad he didn’t hoop at one of the best basketball programs in the past 20 years...lol. Keep dunking man.

Reaction Score
Well let’s be honest the only fair comparison between Kwintin and Kevin Ollie would be their playing days and dealing with adversity certainly not coaching a Top 10 college basketball program vs playing basketball for the program. And in that case it wasn’t close and I’m sure overall in their “playing” careers it won’t be close either.

As far as what Dan Hurley told him what did he say that was wrong? He was lost on the basketball court so in that case shame on Kevin Ollie as a coach even taking a chance on the young man, he never had a prayer that’s on KO.

Wish him well hope he makes a lot of money and finds a way to create a great life for him and his family.
Ollie took a chance and it didn't work out. Every UConn coach in history has had busts and JC had many. Not everyone is a Div. 1 athlete and Kwintin was certainly one of those. Remember Brian Buckaloo?
Not the end of the world for UConn, the coaching staff or Kwintin. It may have been different if Kwintin got some great coaching early on but apparently he didn't. Again, best of luck to the kid.

Reaction Score
Started bad (youtube videos, never seen personally, etc.) and ended worse. As others have said, he's pissed that he wanted to play more but didn't have the skills. Others are taking scholarships (not playing) and we also don't know if they have the skills. I would have thought that the lack of skills (and more importantly lack of desire in practice) would have been visible to Coach early on. From what we know, Coach most likely (I repeat, most likely) had the sit down and laid it out concerning expectations around playing time.

Therefore, why all the negativity now (b/c scholly is over)? He most likely knew going in that he wasn't going to see much burn. Ended worse in that now you have another public case of negative news around a program trying to rebuild.

pj

Reaction Score

My comparison was how both responded to being fired by UConn. Kwintin after being fired from the basketball team by Hurley/UConn is trying to be positive and classy about it, though obviously he feels he wasn't treated fairly. Ollie after being fired by Benedict/UConn -- quite different.

Reaction Score
Ollie took a chance and it didn't work out. Every UConn coach in history has had busts and JC had many. Not everyone is a Div. 1 athlete and Kwintin was certainly one of those. Remember Brian Buckaloo?
Not the end of the world for UConn, the coaching staff or Kwintin. It may have been different if Kwintin got some great coaching early on but apparently he didn't. Again, best of luck to the kid.

Good coaching or not he was never getting good enough for this level. Didn’t know how to play the game and at his age too late. Loved his toughness too bad he just didn’t understand the game. I know coaches take chances but this one was really bad on KOs part, swing and miss.

Reaction Score
My comparison was how both responded to being fired by UConn. Kwintin after being fired from the basketball team by Hurley/UConn is trying to be positive and classy about it, though obviously he feels he wasn't treated fairly. Ollie after being fired by Benedict/UConn -- quite different.

I get that and I took it in a different direction. My bad although I wouldn’t quite go the route of “positive and classy” on Kwintin. He’s throwing daggers too.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So sounds like he bailed and will hurting our APR.

Kid has no actual tangible basketball ability. He’s like a pitcher who can throw 100 but never throws a strike.

I was always amazed at how bad and unathletic he looked in actual game situations.

pj

Reaction Score
I get that and I took it in a different direction. My bad although I wouldn’t quite go the route of “positive and classy” on Kwintin. He’s throwing daggers too.

He's expressing that he thinks he was treated unfairly, which is human and honest. Undoubtedly KO made promises to him, or gave him expectations, that Hurley didn't fulfill. Anyone would be disappointed.

That said, despite his hurt and his worry about how he'll earn a living, he said he's grateful for the opportunity he had at UConn and is moving on. It would be great if KO could have said that.

Reaction Score
Apparently you and me have different definitions of classy

Reaction Score

Wisdom from @NJHoops

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'll withhold judgement until I see how he affected our APR. Him dunking for 2K during finals week doesn't bode well for that though.

Reaction Score
The article says he's on pace to graduate:

Williams is still at UConn and said he’ll walk during graduation ceremonies on May 11 with a degree in urban and community studies — though he may have to take another class or two over the summer.
“It was a tough semester, but I’m gonna finish up strong,” Williams promised.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score

Some choice words from Kwint:

“It’s a great opportunity,” Williams said. “They’ll put my first and last name in the game, all my dunk packages — all the stuff that wasn’t good enough for UConn.”
“The way things went at UConn,” Williams said, “I don’t know if my mind and body can take another year of college basketball. It was a very stressful situation the last couple of years, very hard on me and my family, with what it takes to play at this level and playing for somebody that doesn’t believe in you very hard.”
"I’m not with the jokes on the court,” he said. “I can’t go from the high-intensity practices at UConn to being a Globetrotter. I’d rather do a little something more ‘me.’ The skills I picked up at UConn can translate to somebody’s organization.”
“I was told I didn’t have the skill-set to play here, but I’m glad I still played here,” Williams said. “No hard feelings. It was definitely an eye-opener and a humbling experience, with Dan Hurley telling me what kind of player I was.”

“I’m not too happy about it at all,” he added, “but I’m so happy to be here, and to have been a member of the UConn basketball team.”
The free college education typically is hard on families.

C

Chief00

The article says he's on pace to graduate:

Williams is still at UConn and said he’ll walk during graduation ceremonies on May 11 with a degree in urban and community studies — though he may have to take another class or two over the summer.
“It was a tough semester, but I’m gonna finish up strong,” Williams promised.
Chief doesn’t have any insight into KW’s academics other than to say generically there are MBB players who would walk and still don’t have their degree.

Reaction Score
Everyone transferred and/or decommitted and Whaley and Williams were last minute recruits to just fill out a roster, if I remember correctly. Because of injuries, there were times in the previous season where we only had 6 healthy bodies for games and practices which was an embarrassment. Obviously, it was desperation and not plan A to have give Williams a scholarship. Ouch, those were bad times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom