Kwint not going anywhere | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kwint not going anywhere

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I don't under estimate the new practice facility's affect on home shooting. Teams used to shoot at Gampel every day and quite often at XL. I also believed playing games in the Carrier Dome every year game team an edge come tournament, FF time.
Carrier dome an edge but the old Manley Field House with the elevated court above the bench was like the players running off a cliff on the sidelines and fans right on top of you.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In response to the Borges article...

Yikes... Blaming the XL rims/facility managers? Shooters make shots, particularly in that kind of a raucous, home atmosphere.
It's tough to shoot 3s in big arenas, especially baseline jumpers. Smart by Hurley to get UConn more time at XL.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
In response to the Borges article...

Yikes... Blaming the XL rims/facility managers? Shooters make shots, particularly in that kind of a raucous, home atmosphere.
I'm glad I read the article in order to conclude that you inferred "blame," which isn't necessarily the case.

There's value in getting to know your home court, and it's perfectly reasonable for a first year coach to draw the conclusion that more familiarity is needed early in the experience of it. It fits with Hurley being thorough toward preparation and restless toward improvement. Those are admirable qualities.

In proper context "blame" is a lazy & negative charge.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
It's tough to shoot 3s in big arenas, especially baseline jumpers. Smart by Hurley to get UConn more time at XL.
Why was this not a problem in 99, 04, 11 and 14, or any other year we had a powerhouse team. All this is doing is putting it in the players heads that there is a problem shooting in this arena.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On campus, one of the "words" going around is that he might leave the squad after finals & stay here to graduate.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Why was this not a problem in 99, 04, 11 and 14?

Because the players were better? What kind of question is this... Do you think Kemba needs to practice in a gym before he plays there?

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Don't teams typically shoot worse in the final four compared to their season average? I'm pretty sure I've seen it brought up basically every year and it's blamed on the arenas
Agree with that. I really meant to specifically reference the XL.

Reaction Score
Agree with that. I really meant to specifically reference the XL.
Well it's definitely possible that we just aren't practicing there enough and Hurley seems to believe that's a component. I don't know how often we practiced there 20 years ago.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Because the players were better? What kind of question is this... Do you think Kemba needs to practice in a gym before he plays there?
You just answered the question. Thank you.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Yes, I am sure he does.

Are you guys not familiar with what Ray Allen did in the NBA. He spent hours shooting from a few designated spots in ever single arena in the NBA, precisely so that he'd be familiar with the sigh lines and the way the rim reacted. That's what it takes to be a great shooter. I have no doubt, that if it affects Ray, it affects lesser shooters.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Why was this not a problem in 99, 04, 11 and 14, or any other year we had a powerhouse team. All this is doing is putting it in the players heads that there is a problem shooting in this arena.
"All"?

We'll see, but I'm inclined to think this is both a misreading of the article and a wrong-headed post. Such posts invite a critical response.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Larry Bird shot for two hours before every game in every arena. and He never once ran to pick up the basketball he always had a ball boy or two there to feed him. He just shot every shot in the book countless times. all the 3's and spin shot of the backboard. So yeah, Kemba needs to practice in every arena.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Yes, I am sure he does.

Are you guys not familiar with what Ray Allen did in the NBA. He spent hours shooting from a few designated spots in ever single arena in the NBA, precisely so that he'd be familiar with the sigh lines and the way the rim reacted. That's what it takes to be a great shooter. I have no doubt, that if it affects Ray, it affects lesser shooters.

That isn't the point the OP question I was responding to was a loaded one and I gave back a tongue and cheek response. Obviously, all players at an elite level to maintain that elite level will do whatever it takes to gain an advantage 1 of which would be practicing for hours on end in whatever gym they would be playing in.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Those XL rims seemed pretty soft when I was at the women's game last week.

C

Chief00

Calhoun got his XL shooting practice in. LOL

Reaction Score
The shooting in arenas thing is mental more than anything. But if it helps, it helps.

Reaction Score
I'm glad I read the article in order to conclude that you inferred "blame," which isn't necessarily the case.

There's value in getting to know your home court, and it's perfectly reasonable for a first year coach to draw the conclusion that more familiarity is needed early in the experience of it. It fits with Hurley being thorough toward preparation and restless toward improvement. Those are admirable qualities.

In proper context "blame" is a lazy & negative charge.
Sound logic is not necessary here. Its never long lasting (i.e. remembered), and certainly not seen thread to thread.

The Boneyard is like the Twilight Zone for keyboards.

Just saying ironically, for a college message board, being smart here is never rewarded or appreciated.

Reaction Score
Kwintin was the best part of the game tonight, his energy was off the charts. Highlights were Kwintin, Mark Adams, and Hurley headbutts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom