Kustra: MWC and AAC to have "great partnership over the years" | The Boneyard

Kustra: MWC and AAC to have "great partnership over the years"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't mind playing Wyoming. That would be cool.

Reaction Score
Why in the holy f--- would you ever want to play Wyoming in anything?

Please don't answer. My brain barely survived the statement - the reasoning behind it would probably kill me.
The scenery! Plus, their logo is kinda cool.

Reaction Score
The scenery! Plus, their logo is kinda cool.
Agree on scenery but outside of that there's nothing to gain and everything to lose(in FB) until were P5 IMO!!

Reaction Score
I love the fact he calls them the "resource 5" instead of the power 5. So much more accurate of a name!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Throwing some MWC schools on our schedule won't make the schedule any worse than it already is.

The P5 are hiding the creation of an oligopoly behind the welfare of the student athletes, but paying players is a small part of what the P5 is doing. I suspect an aspect of a closer alliance with the MWC is to split legal costs when the two conferences sue the P5.

Reaction Score
Throwing some MWC schools on our schedule won't make the schedule any worse than it already is.

The P5 are hiding the creation of an oligopoly behind the welfare of the student athletes, but paying players is a small part of what the P5 is doing. I suspect an aspect of a closer alliance with the MWC is to split legal costs when the two conferences sue the P5.

I think the Boise president sees that at least some of the MWC schools may not follow the P5 lead and ultimately a conference of MWC/AAC schools in football is inevitable. He clearly isn't making any friends among the P5 with his comments even though he is dead right.

Reaction Score
Kustra is planting seeds to create concern at the top. Insinuating that the the MWC and AAC will work together can mean a lot of things. The biggest one is the elephant in the room when discussing football. If the best of the AAC and MWC join forces as a football conference it puts a lot of risk on the table for a lot of people. The P5 won't like the strength on the field of that group. They may have to expand to kill it off. The lesser AAC and MWC schools will worry about the costs of competing at that level. They will be pressured to step up or get out. Or, the bigger schools may just join forces in a new conference for football only. In the end, a much stronger 6th conference will be back on the table. It would be a conference that the fans of all the bigger AAC and MWC programs would much prefer to the current versions. It would likely have 3-5 top 25 teams each year and would be much more compelling TV. There are reasons why the conferences haven't joined forces but they are pretty hard to identify from my perspective. Just make a best of the rest conference with east and west divisions and get on with it.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This whole thing scares the heck out of me. We all know UCONN can afford to pay their student athletes in line with whatever the P5 schools want, but 95% of the G5 probably can't. UCONN is in the financial minority...that is, UCONN has an athletic budget in line with P5.

If we're going to be stuck in this purgatory for years and years, it's probably a good thing for UCONN to align with the other small minority of G5 schools who want to play with the bigger revenue/budget schools (and can afford it). If there is a G5 vote similar to what is being talked about in the P5, there is absolutely zero chance that any of the changes discussed will pass no matter how much UCONN wants it to. The P5 schools are having a difficult enough time getting it pushed through and they're the ones making tens of millions per year more than the G5 from TV alone.

Reaction Score
@Hoophound, I Have Been Predicting A Sixth Conference As Well. They Ma Have To Negotiate More Access To The Playoffs And Its Revenues, By Agreeing To Be “Voteless" On Any Changes The P5 May Try To enact.

The Way Things Stand Now, This May Be The Best CaSe Scenario For UConn Football. If It Comes To That, Hopefully The Schools Sell Their TV Rights Individually.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This whole thing scares the heck out of me. We all know UCONN can afford to pay their student athletes in line with whatever the P5 schools want, but 95% of the G5 probably can't. UCONN is in the financial minority...that is, UCONN has an athletic budget in line with P5.

If we're going to be stuck in this purgatory for years and years, it's probably a good thing for UCONN to align with the other small minority of G5 schools who want to play with the bigger revenue/budget schools (and can afford it). If there is a G5 vote similar to what is being talked about in the P5, there is absolutely zero chance that any of the changes discussed will pass no matter how much UCONN wants it to. The P5 schools are having a difficult enough time getting it pushed through and they're the ones making tens of millions per year more than the G5 from TV alone.

This is spot on in my view. By the way, this would not include Wyoming.

The P5 need to know that it will become the P6 if the current stronger G5 programs are left on the sidelines. It is a shot across the bow. The G5 schools will need to either commit to compete at the higher level or not. I am sure at least 12 of them will.

Reaction Score
It's all such BS. Look at UCF and USF. 100,000 students between them. A school like Wake Forest will have "Resource 5" privileges while these two growing universities would not? Talk about barriers to entry. What a sham.

Reaction Score
@Hoophound, I Have Been Predicting A Sixth Conference As Well. They Ma Have To Negotiate More Access To The Playoffs And Its Revenues, By Agreeing To Be “Voteless" On Any Changes The P5 May Try To enact.

The Way Things Stand Now, This May Be The Best CaSe Scenario For UConn Football. If It Comes To That, Hopefully The Schools Sell Their TV Rights Individually.

Completely to satisfy my own idle curiosity, is there a specific reason you capitalize every first letter of a word? I don't mean to be grammar police as much as it's just I'm honestly curious.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Completely to satisfy my own idle curiosity, is there a specific reason you capitalize every first letter of a word? I don't mean to be grammar police as much as it's just I'm honestly curious.

Noeynox said a while back that he responds via his phone mostly and the cap setting is this setting on it.

Reaction Score

Long story short, I need a new phone but my upgrade isn't till october. Phone is a refurbished POS, that is why I get for not getting an otter box off rip.

Reaction Score
hasn't Aresco been campaigning that the AAC is all in with P5? This is very contrary to what has been stated regarding the AAC's position.

Reaction Score
Marty Jackson said:
hasn't Aresco been campaigning that the AAC is all in with P5? This is very contrary to what has been stated regarding the AAC's position.

It seems that what being "all in" means changes daily. I'm not sure that many AAC teams can pay for it without getting the money from sources outside the AD.

Reaction Score
Long story short, I need a new phone but my upgrade isn't till october. Phone is a refurbished POS, that is why I get for not getting an otter box off rip.

Cool, that makes sense. Wasn't trying to criticize, just wasn't sure if it was a stylistic choice or not lol

I sympathize with your situation! Technology is great when it's working properly. When it's not, *sigh*

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Why in the holy f--- would you ever want to play Wyoming in anything?

Please don't answer. My brain barely survived the statement - the reasoning behind it would probably kill me.
Nelson is worried about reduced revenues in 5 years, so he thinks we should forgo whatever small revenue we get from the AAC now and go independent. Butchy isn't worried, he just wants to enjoy UConn playing Wyoming and Holy Cross because of their colors and some random history trivia which he emailed to Jim Delany to convince him to invite UConn. (Gosh I just hope this doesn't backfire and get Wyoming in in the B1G before us).

Dooley

Reaction Score

You are right. Aresco has made comments in the early going of all of this saying that the AAC would be interested in adapting whatever changes the P5 decide to make. I'm not sure if his position has changed or if it is school-specific at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom