Kumbaya…. | The Boneyard

Kumbaya….

Reaction Score
I got a mad face emoji on the UConn only board so I’ll post this here - the UConn/ND partnership is working for the Lynx. Gotta keep it going

It's a good think the players don't bring the "rivalry" into the W. Or ALL the teams would be one on one!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Some of my favorite non-UConn players played for Tennessee or ND. Maybe because we “knew” them so well. The great Tamika Catchings is a particular favorite of mine.

B40D09B4-4425-41C1-9E99-A8BC92AA6177.jpeg

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Most of the posters on this thread know my sentiments on this one: Most of these players knew/played with or against each other way before they went to college. Yes, they were friendly and/or heated rivals when they represented their schools and, sure, they'll have some fun with each other when appropriate. But, now they're part of an even cooler and very restricted club: professional basketball players. How cool they get to play with one another regardless of the collegiate jersey sitting in some trunk?

I'm a fan, too. And the thought of Stewie virtually single-handedly stopping some of ND's best teams still drives me nuts. But I always admired her and still do. Gabby was a thorn in ND's side for many years, as well. And Phee would've been such a great teammate with so many Irish.

So, she is now. Just in a Lynx uniform, with K-Mac (one of the most agreeable and classy people on a court), Lindsay Allen and Jess Shepard. Go Huskies. Go Irish. More currently, Go Lynx!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I got a mad face emoji on the UConn only board so I’ll post this here - the UConn/ND partnership is working for the Lynx. Gotta keep it going

We noted how the LYNX players were doing in the game recaps last night. One was named Collier. One was named McBride. The one feeding them was Allen. Big deal. Good players all who must've been coached well somewhere....;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yall are better people than me. I don't root for any Chapel Hill or Turtle players in the WNBA. Catchings was fine, but don't care to root for any other Lady Vols.

Now that I think about it... I only root for Duke, Wake, and High Point players in the pro's. :confused:

Reaction Score
Jewell Loyd, Lindsay Allen, Ruth Riley, Niele Ivey
I like all them too. Oops, I like more domers than I thought! :eek: And actually on their current team, I like Citron.

When I put bias aside, I honestly find Ivey to be quite likable. The rivalry isn’t quite the same now that it’s her in charge instead of Muffet.

Reaction Score
As a part time Vegas area resident I have rooted for the Aces since they moved there, having to deal with three ND players, McBride, Young and Allen at a time. Now with just Young and Kia Stokes from Uconn it is more balanced!

I may not root for ND players much on other teams but have no problem with them on a team I support. There are several programs that seem to do a good job preparing players for the league beyond Uconn and I think ND is one of those. Young has had a continuing evolution from an all around type of player and largely inside scorer to a great 3 pt shooter. I don't think many thought that kind of transformation would take place.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Jess Shepard is one of my favorite non-UConn players. I'm still very worried about her non-covid illness. Three weeks and counting. I hope she's fully healthy soon, even if the ND alumnae will out-number the UConn alumnae on the Lynx.

BTW, I hope Allen continues to get manor minutes when Mitchell and Powers come back. The Lynx play so much better with her in the lineup.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Much of the disdain for Arike among UCONN fans stems from her shoving Dangerfield during a regular season game in 2019. Fast forward to now and they’re starting in the backcourt together in Dallas and appear to have great chemistry and enjoy playing together. Both played great tonight as they upset Las Vegas at home.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Much of the disdain for Arike among UCONN fans stems from her shoving Dangerfield during a regular season game in 2019. Fast forward to now and they’re starting in the backcourt together in Dallas and appear to have great chemistry and enjoy playing together. Both played great tonight and as they upset Las Vegas at home.
No, a lot of UConn fans dislike Arike and Skylar Diggins because they led teams that beat the Huskies. After Arike hit a last second shot that eliminated UConn from the Final Four in Tampa, McGraw did an Irish jig on the court while the UConn players were still there. That moment cemented the dislike of Arike, McGraw, and ND in general for many Husky fans.

No one can hold a grudge like a UConn fan. There are people here that still dislike Tara Vandervere for not playing Rebecca Lobo more minutes in the 1996 Olympics :rolleyes:

For me, life is too short to carry that much dislike, or hate, around. I’d rather spend my energy on something positive

Reaction Score
For a Canadian twist, don't forget Kia Nurse and Natalie Achonwa when they represent Team Canada on the world stage.

And with the conclusion of the AmeriCup tournament, we could be seeing the next generation with Aaliyah Edwards and Cassndre Prosper for many more years to come.

Reaction Score
Some of my favorite non-UConn players played for Tennessee or ND. Maybe because we “knew” them so well. The great Tamika Catchings is a particular favorite of mine.

View attachment 89471
I know what you mean, though our fanbase history/memory is shorter. That's why I love watching B. Stewart play. Yes, I have bad memories of her, including a night in front of a packed house in Columbia when we thought we were ready to be number 1. Ouch. But, as painful as that was, we got to watch the two best (arguably?) players in the game now and possibly two who will be considered legends of the game when they hang up their sneakers. Yes, I "hate" UConn's players (on the nights we play) - but I love them too. And that carries over to the W.

Great players validate each other.

BTW it's good to see what Dorka is doing! I love a "blue collar" player.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I know what you mean, though our fanbase history/memory is shorter. That's why I love watching B. Stewart play. Yes, I have bad memories of her, including a night in front of a packed house in Columbia when we thought we were ready to be number 1. Ouch. But, as painful as that was, we got to watch the two best (arguably?) players in the game now and possibly two who will be considered legends of the game when they hang up their sneakers. Yes, I "hate" UConn's players (on the nights we play) - but I love them too. And that carries over to the W.

Great players validate each other.

BTW it's good to see what Dorka is doing! I love a "blue collar" player.
Kumbaya to you, too. Kiah and A’ja get along just fine

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom