Kudos to Megan Walker | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kudos to Megan Walker

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I have been happy with Walker's play in the first few games, she looked like she belonged, and it seemed like the vagaries of the bouncing ball that kept her points from following suit. Last night, the points came, and they couldn't have happened at a better time.

The odd thing is, one might have predicted the opposite. Some new players can play smoothly in garbage time, when there's no pressure, but freeze up when it matters. Someone would have to check the play by plays, but I thing we were typically up 20 or so when she was in the game in the first three games, not quite over, but not a lot of doubt about the outcome. Last night was special because the game outcome was still in doubt when she came in and starting nailing threes.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
M

Megan Walker just isn't your average Freshman. Simply amazing, with nerves of steel. She alone for a part of the first half kept Uconn going.
Megan had me out of my chair at 11 Pm and 12 Am---I kept yelling (my neighbors are miles away) that ain't no freshman (Kibs can correct the grammar, but it was effective).

Hhmm. Can we think of another freshman who showed nerves of steel last year in a breakout game at the beginning of the season.

MW maturing like fine Crystal.

images

Reaction Score
Hhmm. Can we think of another freshman who showed nerves of steel last year in a breakout game at the beginning of the season.

MW maturing like fine Crystal.

images
This posting is a keeper----just great, very very nice comparison---good crystal has a nice ring to it--so does our Danger.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Superb performance at a critical time.

IIRC recently there were some 'questions' about her shooting here. I think (for now) that's behind us.
That's my memory, too. I thought the deal was that she was deadly from 15' in, but mediocre beyond the arc.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe it was supposed to read 'in Texas'? :)
Thanks for the support, but no, I just brain farted it. I blame my advanced years and trying to stay up for last night's game.

Reaction Score
I have been happy with Walker's play in the first few games, she looked like she belonged, and it seemed like the vagaries of the bouncing ball that kept her points from following suit. Last night, the points came, and they couldn't have happened at a better time.

The odd thing is, one might have predicted the opposite. Some new players can play smoothly in garbage time, when there's no pressure, but freeze up when it matters. Someone would have to check the play by plays, but I thing we were typically up 20 or so when she was in the game in the first three games, not quite over, but not a lot of doubt about the outcome. Last night was special because the game outcome was still in doubt when she came in and starting nailing threes.
IMO, a lot depends on the new player’s BB IQ. The higher it is, the easier it is to play when it matters. In garbage time, things go helter skelter and there’s no flow to the game. Playing with and against better players, if you have Walker’s instincts, should help you be where you’re supposed to be to make positive plays. She probably loves it that way.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That's my memory, too. I thought the deal was that she was deadly from 15' in, but mediocre beyond the arc.
Yeah, I’m not sure about “deadly,” but her strength is inside 15’. She shot with no hesitation. Kaleena shoots with perfect, classic backspin. Stewie, in contrast, shoots knuckleballs. Meg’s shot also has minimal spin, but she was accurate.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Okay everyone just slow your roll a bit. Last year in the 2nd game Crystal showed us what she can do, and for greater part of the season she showed us what she couldn't do. Crystal has arrived now, but I've a feeling, no matter the potential, Ms. Walker will show us mostly what she can't do for much of the season. Yesterday Megan showed us she has a tremendous upside. Let's just give her a chance to go through some more growing pains. Remember, she's still very young and very human.

Nevertheless, welcome aboard Ms. Walker. I see you.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Okay everyone just slow your roll a bit. Last year in the 2nd game Crystal showed us what she can do, and for greater part of the season she showed us what she couldn't do. Crystal has arrived now, but I've a feeling, no matter the potential, Ms. Walker will show us mostly what she can't do for much of the season. Yesterday Megan showed us she has a tremendous upside. Let's just give her a chance to go through some more growing pains. Remember, she's still very young and very human.

Nevertheless, welcome aboard Ms. Walker. I see you.
Meg may not hit 4 consecutive treys again this season, but I’m liking her game and mindset.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yeah, I’m not sure about “deadly,” but her strength is inside 15’. She shot with no hesitation. Kaleena shoots with perfect, classic backspin. Stewie, in contrast, shoots knuckleballs. Meg’s shot also has minimal spin, but she was accurate.
How was the trip and the atmosphere? By the way, if not for a Danger travel, Meg would've had another 3.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I want to second the posts that say careful, she's still a freshman BUT also that bwas so very big for her. Geno says he has found another and he demonstrated that by telling folks to get another chair for the presser and sticking Meghan in it. Was doing everything he could to positively reinforce what we all witnessed.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How was the trip and the atmosphere? By the way, if not for a Danger travel, Meg would've had another 3.
The traffic was horrible. It took 60 minutes to go 13 miles to Westwood Village for dinner, then 20 minutes to go 1 mile to the parking lot. Pauley does not allow regular pocket books in for security purposes—just clear bags—so my sister had to go back to stash hers in the car.

The campus is fabulous, in a great area with wonderful weather (sunny and 80). The arena is very nice, especially considering it’s 50+ years old. It’s a little odd in that the roof is flat and the upper deck is right below the roof. It looks as if those seats were added after construction.

The atmosphere was almost that of a Final Four. Attendance of 9,300 was at or very near capacity (the upper deck was closed). I’m guessing 8,000 UCLA fans and the rest from Husky Nation. The crowd was loud, but Meg silenced them, as did our nice run in the 3rd quarter. It was a very, very high intensity game. The Huskies looked like a true #1 team. UCLA looked like a Final Four team.

Reaction Score
This was a coming out party for Megan Walker! She looked like the next mainstay of the program last night. Great presence on the court. Fearless.

HCGA will put her on the court earlier in the game and for longer stretches.

Reaction Score
Lots of great insights as usual. Many are comparing Meg's first good game to Danger's Baylor game.---Maybe, but I'm not buying. Point guard is the most difficult (as we all know) because the PG is the conductor. Big decisions and big responsibility. IMHO Meg's season will be more like Lou's--but Meg will be more well rounded finishing her freshman year than Lou was. If we remember, Lou cold just stand around as the Big three ran the show. Lou pretty much waited in the corner until someone passed her the ball and she had no decision to make---she just shot it! Shot it well of course.
Meg is the 5th wheel like Lou was, but IMHO she already has shown solid evidence where multiple skills have peeked out of the cauldron of potential. Meg is a solid defender today. She always has active hands, quick feet, and a tenacity modeling Kia. Geno has trust in her D. Meg has that aggressiveness when she sees an opening and is willing to go for it. She probes for lanes modeling Danger. Meg is long and seems to be in the right place more times than not--modeling Collier. Meg is very athletic, speedy with some quickness, nimble, coordinated (like a hurdler) modeling Gabby. She felt comfortable in a big game, confident that she belonged, she has BB IQ, and the heart of a lion--modeling the UConn Basketball Program. Meg is attempting to fulfill the UConn model of --a versatile player.
Danger had the world put on her shoulders last year and did OK. Megan can relax and play the game, developing like a slow cooking BBQ.
I see it as the glass half-full. The potential has been revealed and will grow and grow into a full glass sooner than later. Meg will get lots of minutes off the bench because Geno trusts her and knows what she can be.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I like watching Walker play, she has really long arms and big hands, I love the way she moves on the court and keeps her hands up ready to catch and shoot, Ima nick name her Smooth, because that's how her game is.
Smooth is for above average players. "Smoove" is for the very best, which many on this board believes Walker will be.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I love watching her play and the beat will go on!

The more she plays, the faster the game will slow down for her. She sure looked good last night. She didn't play like a freshman. What's she going to be like come mid-January?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A note from the left coast on Megan's game. Walker delivers in her first road game at UConn

“One thing she’s good at is corner 3s. The problem is she starts taking every 3; every time she touches the ball she shoots it because she doesn’t know what else to do, she doesn’t have confidence in her game. (Against UCLA) she kind of stayed with what she’s good at; she’s too good to not contribute, but (Tuesday’s performance) came out of nowhere because she’s been struggling in practice.”

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A note from the left coast on Megan's game. Walker delivers in her first road game at UConn

Also from that piece:

Auriemma is pushing Walker to do more than just hit open jumpers. He would have liked more than one defensive rebound from her in 25 minutes against UCLA, and defensively, when Walker came into the game Auriemma switched to a zone because he doesn’t have a ton of confidence in the one-on-one defensive abilities of either Walker or Stevens.

“Without Gabby in the game in the first half, that was tough because now we have Z (Stevens) and Megan and they are — to say the least — defensively challenged,” Auriemma said. “We were trying to figure out what was the easiest thing we could do. We tried to keep it very simple. I could tell we had them thinking a little bit because they slowed down and weren’t in any kind of flow. You could see that they were struggling to find where their offense was going to come from. I thought our guys were great defensively, they were just great.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom