Krzyzewski takes exception to term "rent a player" | The Boneyard

Krzyzewski takes exception to term "rent a player"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As used by Bo Ryan after the game. Because he says that it infers something "illegal" rather than one and done. What a sanctimonious , everyone knows what Bo meant. Ryan was rightly ticked off by the foul discrepancy as has been discussed in detail and even though his team made mistakes, he strongly feels they were jobbed by the refs.

Reaction Score
Did Coach K really say it "infers" something?

Reaction Score
Did Coach K really say it "infers" something?
“Number one, I love Bo, and I know as a coach that you’re the first guy up there (when) you lose," Krzyzewski said on The Herd with Colin Cowherd on Wednesday. "Look, I’ve lost national championship games and I’ve been the loser and it’s not easy. Sometimes things can be — they can take one line or a couple lines out without hearing the whole context of what you’re talking about. The line ‘rent-a-player’ is not a good line, because we use ‘one-and-done.’ It could mean that you’re doing something illegal with rent. I think there’s a better choice of words for that.

"But to say, ‘hey, we don’t do the one-and-done in our program,’ hey, that’s your right. But also understand that everybody is doing it a little bit differently. Guys are accepting transfers more. A lot of guys are going after fifth-year transfers. There’s more than one way to run a business."

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...a-player-comment-duke-wisconsin-colin-cowherd

Reaction Score
Ah, I see, he didn't. For some reason, I would have been a little surprised to see Coach K make a mistake like that.

Reaction Score
The rent a player comment Bo Ryan made wasn't even in reference to one and done freshmen, it was about the 5th year senior grad transfers.

Reaction Score
As used by Bo Ryan after the game. Because he says that it infers something "illegal" rather than one and done. What a sanctimonious , everyone knows what Bo meant. Ryan was rightly ticked off by the foul discrepancy as has been discussed in detail and even though his team made mistakes, he strongly feels they were jobbed by the refs.

The weird thing is that K. said the same exact thing about grad transfers just last year.

These are 2 guys talking past themselves.

Reaction Score
K and the whole world knows what the term rent means in that context. Bo Ryan was not saying Duke pays it's players or rents them. He knew it meant one and done and it was slang if you will. K is very thin skinned, he just won a title that was reffed questionably in the second half, he should be thankful and shut his yap.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Maybe, we should all pitch in and send coach K to mustang ranch and then he will have a better understanding of term"rent a player."

Reaction Score
Is this for real?

Well I take exception to the fact that Coach K has a few decades on me but less gray hair.

It's creepy.

Reaction Score
Any coach in America will rent a player if it would earn them a National Championship. We rented Lasan Kromah. That worked out pretty well.

The rules have changed. Coaches need to adapt. If rent a player can help you to be a better team, then why not do it?

Reaction Score
K and the whole world knows what the term rent means in that context. Bo Ryan was not saying Duke pays it's players or rents them. He knew it meant one and done and it was slang if you will. K is very thin skinned, he just won a title that was reffed questionably in the second half, he should be thankful and shut his yap.

Or a guy who's been doing it as long as Bo Ryan should be able to take an L with a little more grace.

Reaction Score
There's nothing wrong with anything Coach K said. The OP is far more thin skinned. The guy was on a national radio show, he was asked a question and gave an answer, a very good and diplomatic one, that most rational people would agree with.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I don't like Coach K but there's nothing wrong with what he said. Bo had sour grapes and Coach K merely said he didn't prefer the phrase Ryan used.

Reaction Score
To me Okafor is rented because before he put 1 foot on Duke's campus it was widely known he was going to be one and done. One and done is not a 5th year player term. It's grad transfer.

Reaction Score
To me Okafor is rented because before he put 1 foot on Duke's campus it was widely known he was going to be one and done. One and done is not a 5th year player term. It's grad transfer.

I would argue - in fact, logic would argue - that a fifth year "grad transfer" is even more "widely known" to be one and done.

Reaction Score
I would argue - in fact, logic would argue - that a fifth year "grad transfer" is even more "widely known" to be one and done.
Ask Calipari what one and done is. He's got several from this this year. When they talk about one and done on SportCenter they ain't talking Lasdan Kromah.

Reaction Score
You should step away from the board for a day or 30 and get your head together. I think this Duke win is getting to you.

1) Bo Ryan Disagrees with your one and done/grad transfer distinction.
"Every player that's played through the program, okay, we don't do a rent-a-player," Ryan told Wolfson. "You know what I mean? Try to take a fifth-year guy. That's okay. If other people do that, that's okay." - Bo Ryan

2) Other than the NBA, nobody wants the one and done rule. It's not a college rule. It's not a Coach K rule. It's not an AAU rule. Okafor, and every other player coming out of HS must spend one year somewhere else before they can be drafted. I don't think you realize how silly both you and Bo Ryan sound. Bo was upset after a tough loss, what's your excuse?

Reaction Score
Ask Calipari what one and done is. He's got several from this this year. When they talk about one and done on SportCenter they ain't talking Lasdan Kromah.

I don't know who "Lasdan Kromah" is but your point that Okafor is a rent-a-player while a kid who by definition can only be there for one year is not, he's a "grad transfer," is idiotic. I know what people mean when they say "one and done" but you trying to make some artificial distinction between freshman who stay for a year and grad students who by definition can only stay for a year is just stupid.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I would definitely make a distinction between a kid who intends on spending about six months in college verses a player who by definition has already has a degree and is enrolling full-time in a graduate program. And I would definitely make a distinction in the case of a kid like Shonn Miller who will have an Ivy League diploma and who has no choice but to head elsewhere for his last year of eligibility.

Reaction Score
There's nothing wrong with anything Coach K said. The OP is far more thin skinned. The guy was on a national radio show, he was asked a question and gave an answer, a very good and diplomatic one, that most rational people would agree with.

Except, and I ll say it again, K. through a hissy fit last year over the same exact thing.

Here: "There should be no exceptions," Krzyzewski told ESPN.com. "Everybody should have to sit out, that includes a fifth-year player, just to make it equal. I think it's a farce, really."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom