Krzyzewski takes exception to term "rent a player" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Krzyzewski takes exception to term "rent a player"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Except, and I ll say it again, K. through a hissy fit last year over the same exact thing.

Here: "There should be no exceptions," Krzyzewski told ESPN.com. "Everybody should have to sit out, that includes a fifth-year player, just to make it equal. I think it's a farce, really."

I think your definition of "hissy fit" is a bit mellow dramatic.

And so what? You can speak out against the rules and then play by them in order to be competitive. I think forcing HS players to spend a year out of HS before being draft eligible is a farce, but I'd take any one and done player than can help us win a championship. And I disagree with him about the grad players, but the rule is the rule. He's not required to agree with the rules, just to follow them.

Reaction Score
I think your definition of "hissy fit" is a bit mellow dramatic.

And so what? You can speak out against the rules and then play by them in order to be competitive. I think forcing HS players to spend a year out of HS before being draft eligible is a farce, but I'd take any one and done player than can help us win a championship. And I disagree with him about the grad players, but the rule is the rule. He's not required to agree with the rules, just to follow them.

He is commenting on Ryan saying the exact same thing he said.

Reaction Score
He is commenting on Ryan saying the exact same thing he said.
No he's not. Read the two quotes in this very thread. Maybe there's more to what you're quoting you haven't posted, but your quote and the one I posted are not the same thing.

Ryan said "we don't do that"
K said "they should have to sit too"

Two different things. You guys just have a hard-on for him.

Reaction Score
No he's not. Read the two quotes in this very thread. Maybe there's more to what you're quoting you haven't posted, but your quote and the one I posted are not the same thing.

Ryan said "we don't do that"
K said "they should have to sit too"

Two different things. You guys just have a hard-on for him.

You're hopelessly confused here.

I am pointing out that Coach K. is talking past Ryan because K. thinks Ryan is talking about one-and-dones, and Ryan is talking about grad transfers, a point which K. spoke out against in the past.

I don't know how you seem to have missed that, but you have.

as to wehther we are being hypercritical of K., are you also going to accuse analysts who bagged on him last year for this of having a hard-on?

Here's Rob Dauster, a self-proclaimed Duke fan: "The idea that there should be no exceptions to the transfer rule is just a silly idea. You need waivers, because there is no way that one rule book can adequately and accurately govern all of the athletes that play an NCAA sport."

Reaction Score
You're hopelessly confused here.

I am pointing out that Coach K. is talking past Ryan because K. thinks Ryan is talking about one-and-dones, and Ryan is talking about grad transfers, a point which K. spoke out against in the past.

I don't know how you seem to have missed that, but you have.

as to wehther we are being hypercritical of K., are you also going to accuse analysts who bagged on him last year for this of having a hard-on?

Here's Rob Dauster, a self-proclaimed Duke fan: "The idea that there should be no exceptions to the transfer rule is just a silly idea. You need waivers, because there is no way that one rule book can adequately and accurately govern all of the athletes that play an NCAA sport."

"But to say, ‘hey, we don’t do the one-and-done in our program,’ hey, that’s your right. But also understand that everybody is doing it a little bit differently. Guys are accepting transfers more. A lot of guys are going after fifth-year transfers. There’s more than one way to run a business." - Coach K

Reaction Score
i guess I missed it because coach K specifically mentioned the same grad transfers ryan did.

i think you have coach k confused with jibsey

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Maybe, we should all pitch in and send coach K to mustang ranch and then he will have a better understanding of term"rent a player."
I'll take him. It's about 11 miles from my house.

Reaction Score
I'll rent a Miller all day and twice on Sunday. The kid needs to be in championship Husky blue

MrP

Reaction Score
It was a fine answer, given spontaneously On a radio show, but here's the thing Coach, you're not allowed to claim that the turn-of-phrase "rent a player" implies something illegal, and then refer to running your college basketball team as a "business" in the same breath.

Reaction Score
He could have been more gracious after getting those second half ref benefits in the game. He's probably a good guy but in the heat of games he seems like a jerk on the sidelines which is his competitiveness and drive for success which obviously works. There is not a question in my mind that Jim Calhoun is the much better coach. I think ESPN is proposing K for sainthood.

Reaction Score
I would argue - in fact, logic would argue - that a fifth year "grad transfer" is even more "widely known" to be one and done.

A grad transfer is more likely to finish classes. A one and done is more likely to pack up, go home and train in order to prep for the NBA summer league. If I am Okafor I would not sit in another class room at Duke again. How many of the Kentucky guys will stay to the end of the semester? My guess is they are taking about 3 classes this semester, they are likely online and everyone will receive a passing grade. I would love to know the truth.

EDIT: I would like to know the number of spring semester credits, GPA and the percentage of online courses for the players leaving early vs the grad transfers.

Reaction Score
If we got some of those players people think are one and done, I suspect the criticism of the squid would die down significantly. Some of those kids didn't want to go to college and would have gone straight to the NBA. That option was taken away from them. Even if the assumption that they are terrible students is correct, you can't blame them because they didn't want to be students in the first place. Why would you expect them to do any more than the bare minimum required?

And no, playing in Europe or overseas isn't a better option because they wouldn't be playing against better competition. The international presence is growing in the NBA, but until more players in one specific foreign league are drafted than out of college here in the states, they're better off playing here.

The criticism for the one and done situation belongs with the NBA, not the players or coaches. The players are forced into college, and the coaches want the best talent they can get to help them win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom