Kromah clearly should start | The Boneyard

Kromah clearly should start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All I can say is "WOW" guy was all over the place. Needs to start in place of Calhoun. Perhaps Calhoun will respond better off the bench like Nolan did today. Very pleased with both Brimah and Nolans performance

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't know. He is clearly playing better than Calhoun but it's nice to have him able to come in for anyone playing the 1-4 spot who needs to come out (poor play, foul trouble, injury, etc.).

Reaction Score
I think he should start if not anything else. For the simple fact that he can put pressure on the other teams best perimeter scorer to start the game

Reaction Score
Ehh its one great game, but he's heading in the 'more playing time' direction. Many of us our desperate but its still in progress for the 3rd guard. Giffey our Kromah works for me, but I lean towards Giffey because of his 1st half efficiency. Omar has two more years to play.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I have no problem with OC starting and being given a chance to score early. There's no limit on PT for non-starters. If he starts struggling early, put in LK more.

As great a piece LK has played and as needed as he's been, he's gone after this year. OC is not. Have we not been getting reports that OC is getting upset? Could be wrong there in which case disregard the rest of this, but regardless of the reason for his being upset (it's mostly his own fault), if we cut him to 0-10min PT, and with DHam coming in next year, will it push OC out the door? If we are going to give that possibility serious consideration, the question becomes: what is more valuable: possible short-term success with Kromah starting (which ultimately means little), or OC's long-term commitment to playing here?

Reaction Score
Good point about OC next year but he will get plenty of use in our conference. I'm also concerned about Samuel, when did we see him last. This is a juggling act but Omar when given decent looks can put a game away for us, he's just been cold.

Reaction Score
Good point about OC next year but he will get plenty of use in our conference. I'm also concerned about Samuel, when did we see him last. This is a juggling act but Omar when given decent looks can put a game away for us, he's just been cold.

With Kromah's ability to be a ballhandler next to Bazz and Boat there really isn't any room for Samuel at the moment. He played alot against MD but that's because both Kromah and Bazz ran into foul trouble. His situation is way different than Omar, who was a top 40 recruit, dbl figure scorer as a freshman who is now seeing his time cut due to ineffectiveness and the ability of the other guys who play the same position. Samuel hasn't achieved anything here yet.

Reaction Score
Our goal is to win now - I disagree with babysheep. Short term success with Kromah means a lot more than "little" This is a big year in my opinion. We need to re-establish ourselves as a top 10 program due to last years probation and our new conference. If Omar wants to leave because he isnt starting than so be it. The best players need to play right now. College Hoops is wide open and I think we have just as good chance as anybody of making the final four. That being said I hope Omar finds his stroke. Perhaps like Nolan today he will play better off the bench

caw

Reaction Score
Our goal is to win now - I disagree with babysheep. Short term success with Kromah means a lot more than "little" This is a big year in my opinion. We need to re-establish ourselves as a top 10 program due to last years probation and our new conference. If Omar wants to leave because he isnt starting than so be it. The best players need to play right now. College Hoops is wide open and I think we have just as good chance as anybody of making the final four. That being said I hope Omar finds his stroke. Perhaps like Nolan today he will play better off the bench

I completely agree with the first half. However, I think Calhoun will end up a needed asset later this year, not sure who starts matters, but maybe it will get Calhoun out of his funk. I trust Ollie to make the decision that is bet for the team overall. Kromah off the bench is nice because he and Giffey can sub for 3+ positions each.

Reaction Score
Why are people so fixated on who starts when what really matters is who finishes the game?
Because it always seems that we get off to a slow start, and it always seems that that slow start includes OC clanging two 3 point bricks up and playing weak defense.

Maybe start with NG or LK and see if we can't jump out to an early lead and establish a better flow to our O.

Reaction Score
I really thought the bazz, boatright, kromah, daniels, brimah line up had the best chemistry. I think that is the squad that will get us a lead, and then others can rotate in....I was weary about tinkering with the lineup until last game when they were completely ineffective on offense. Kromah makes others better around him too, it is all about team and not individual ability. I think brimah's natural court sense will develop fast if given the chance, so lets give him the chance, because he could be dominate....maybe when nolan is a senior he can start at the pf along side of Brimah, but really I think Brimah will be the man down low for sure by next year, if not by the end of this year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Agreed - concerned about Samuel and Facey- recruits need to see past recruits in a uni are playing in meaningful matches- especially nationally televised games

Reaction Score
Agreed - concerned about Samuel and Facey- recruits need to see past recruits in a uni are playing in meaningful matches- especially nationally televised games

That's overblown. We're not Kentucky, and Samuel and Facey weren't exactly prized recruits. If a guy can play, he'll play. Witness next year, when Daniel Hamilton starts at the 3 and gets 30 minutes a game.

Reaction Score

they're freshmen who are playing behind veterans who are clearly better than them, there is only so many guys you can play, KO can't go 12 deep. I think Facey and Samuel will eventually have a role going forward in their careers(next year and beyond), but Facey isn't Drummond and Samuel isn't Bazz or Kemba, where they're too talented to keep on the bench.

Reaction Score
I get the frustration with OC, I really do. I also feel bad for the kid because he clearly isn't right. However, there is something to be said for having mature role players who can enter a game and right the ship if there are problems or who can come in and keep things steady when a starter has to rest. Kromah and Giffey are both that type of player. Then again, maybe having two of them that can play multiple positions is a bit redundant and one can/should start.

Reaction Score
In 2011, I think Olander started every game, and then played about 6 or 7 minutes total the entire game. It's not a bad strategy to keep Calhoun working on his O. I was actually encouraged today by his two drives to the basket, which he hasn't looked to do in ages it seems.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
In 2011, I think Olander started every game, and then played about 6 or 7 minutes total the entire game. It's not a bad strategy to keep Calhoun working on his O. I was actually encouraged today by his two drives to the basket, which he hasn't looked to do in ages it seems.

Worked out great for the Huskies that year. Not sure how well it worked out for Tyler though!

Reaction Score
You can't begin to compare the effect Kromah had on the game vs OC. The havoc of good D, tipped passes, just having a positive impact which was made possible by allout hustle. I don't care who starts but OC has a long way to go to match everything Kromah can do. His drives were nice to see today but just getting his 3 point shot back is job one. Then move on to rebounding which at 6'6" he should be able to do.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have no problem with OC starting and being given a chance to score early. There's no limit on PT for non-starters. If he starts struggling early, put in LK more.

As great a piece LK has played and as needed as he's been, he's gone after this year. OC is not. Have we not been getting reports that OC is getting upset? Could be wrong there in which case disregard the rest of this, but regardless of the reason for his being upset (it's mostly his own fault), if we cut him to 0-10min PT, and with DHam coming in next year, will it push OC out the door? If we are going to give that possibility serious consideration, the question becomes: what is more valuable: possible short-term success with Kromah starting (which ultimately means little), or OC's long-term commitment to playing here?
No offense to Omar and I mean this in the nicest possible way, but with the recruits on the horizon, and Purvis coming in, I have no problem if a player who is simply not performing were to leave. I agree the guy has potential and we've seen flashes of it, but if he's upset or pissed off, it should be at himself. Ollie has given him more than enough opportunity to prove himself, and if he's that fragile that he gets butt hurt because he's not playing well and Ollie brings him off the bench, he's not the kind of "10 toes in" guy I would want on the team.

My point, if the "only" way to keep Calhoun at UCONN were to continue to start him regardless of his on the court performance, I'd not be sad to see him go. Having said that, I don't believe it's the case and I like the kid and am rooting for him to get back on track. And I see nothing wrong with him not starting either...

Reaction Score
Omar's stats yesterday were 1 for 5 fg, 0 for 3 3pt, 0 rebounds, 0 steals, 0 assists. He needs to impact the game in other areas than scoring.

He got caught on one pick in the 2nd half and just stayed there, no effort to get to Wilcox. He is struggling in every area.

For me it's time to let him figure out who he is by coming off the bench and reacting like Nolan or not responding the way he should. I like KO's persistence in helping him gain his confidence but playing 4 on 5 until the first TV TO is eventually going to wear the team thin. He can figure it out by becoming a good 6th-7th man. I don't care if it's Giffey or Kromah it's time!

Reaction Score
I would love to see a starting lineup of Brimah, Daniels, Kromah, Boat and Bazz. They can all run and dictate the tempo that UConn excels at, which is getting the game well into the 70's or even 80's.

Omar is too good of a scorer to stay in this funk if he is healthy. I would rather see him come off the bench with Niels, Phil and Kenyan. Heck, Tyler made a couple nice plays yesterday too... he needs a few minutes as well. Samuel and Tolksdorf will probably only get minutes when the game is well in hand from here on out.

Kromah is a blessing to this team. I hope he averages over 20 minutes a game the rest of the season.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I meant "little" as in how little a change LK simply starting over OC really means for our winning chances. Whoever starts doesn't really matter because, as I said, there's no limit on PT for bench players. OC is the one struggling and may benefit more by getting early looks. LK is clearly doing fine coming off the bench. Obviously winning doesn't mean "little" as I agree this is a very important season. What I'm getting at is, will that kind of blow to the ego hurt our maintaining that re-establishment as an elite program if it starts pushing OC out the door? LK won't be here to maintain it; OC will, assuming he doesn't feel his toes being stepped on by a 1-year transfer after he stuck it out with us through the ban (something I think we too-often forget).

At the end of the day, a starter change was evidently a huge success for PN last night, so maybe it could benefit OC. In KO we trust, and trust we must.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom