Koby Brea entered the portal. Please please Coach Hurley | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Koby Brea entered the portal. Please please Coach Hurley

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
You don't even have to go past the first sentence, I'll paste it here so it's easy to find.

Go watch the tape- he has been a negative in every other aspect besides his shooting- reason on a borderline NCAA Tournament team over the 4 years he rarely ever started- also in a non power conference that hasn’t been as good as it usually as of late.

Besides the fact that saying "besides his shooting" about a 48% 3 point shooter on 6 attempts per game is an absurd starting premise, knocking a 2 time 6th man of the year award winner, who averaged 26 and 29 minutes a game in those seasons, for not starting is crazy.

Would any UConn fan not want Hassan Diarra back because he was only coming off the bench? Of course not, because he was incredibly important, played a lot of minutes, and was on the court at the ends of games when it mattered. That's part of the reason half the board wants him in a bench role again next year, because there's value in having dependable guys on the bench

Got it. I see a scouting report combatting people thinking this kid will be more than he thinks. Sorry that’s overly negative to you.

You’re a great poster and seem to know ball, I just thought you guys were attacking him for having a lesser opinion of a player.

He admits he’s a great shooter, he’s just saying that’s mostly all he is. I agree.

Also, I don’t think me or Ebonz are saying we don’t want him because he’s not a starter, I don’t know what Diarra has to do with it. You just took this off the rails.

Reaction Score
First show me what Ebonz said that was overly negative, and I can show you what he responded to.

We disagree about him being overly negative, he was saying this dude isn’t the overall player McNeeley is or will be. Thats (my opinion too) true, not overly negative.
I didn’t make the claim that he was. You made a claim that wasn’t true.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Let’s recap: he’s not the overall player that Spencer or McNeeley are, but he’s an excellent shooter and that’s really it. Thats still very valuable and I’d love him as a Husky.

I also would personally prefer McNeeley OVER him or WITH him, but not instead. I’d love McNeeley plus Hausen or Brea as bench snipers playing a critical role.

Reaction Score
Because despite the high percentages, he doesn't shoot the ball a lot. He averaged 7.5 FGA per game this year and had a 16% usage rate. For reference Cam Spencer was 10 FGA per game this season and a 19% usage rate, and even at Rutgers was at 10 FGA and a 25% usage rate.
The more important question is why someone who shoots 49.8% only took 7.5 shots per game.
The nature of the offense? His inability to get open more often because the defense is keying on him? Other issues?
Maybe someone who's watched his games can answer that.

Reaction Score
I think his point, which is correct, is people are seeing great shooting numbers and a 6’6 athlete and acting like Jordan is showing up.

Ebonz is right, he’s nowhere near the player some posters are surmising. He’s also not the complete player McNeeley is. But he shoots it GREAT.

I didn’t see Ebonz saying anything wrong or overly negative, just real. This kid IS being recruited as a shooter, NOT as some unknown freak athlete 6’6 future NBA HOF.
Thanks Mr. French.

My two main points on this thread when it comes to Brea is the following;

- Saw people comparing him to a Spencer comp- which again I don’t think he’s as valuable or as good as went Spencer decided to transfer here

- Someone replied back to me saying that I am nuts to say or think McNeely is better than Brea considering the age & experience- again strong points but I disagree- I believe McNeely is the real deal & would be more impactful next year than Brea

With all this said, I do love Brea’s shooting ability, size, overall length, & experience. As I said originally I would like to see him on UConn next year as well as McNeely.

Hopefully this clears up my thoughts on this topic.

Reaction Score
By the way, I like him and Hausen as snipers and may be as high on them as others, just as shooters in a role, not as multi-dimensional, high level starting 2s.

Freshman or not, McNeeley IS that in addition to a shooter. Of course, this kid is proven and older, so he’s got benefits too. I’m not against him I just didn’t think Ebonz said anything except his honest opinion.

I want both but if given just one I want McNeeley all day agree. But my belief they can co-exist.

Reaction Score
The more important question is why someone who shoots 49.8% only took 7.5 shots per game.
The nature of the offense? His inability to get open more often because the defense is keying on him? Other issues?
Because Dayton is 346th out of 362 teams in possessions per game. Brea was still 26th in the country in 3 pointers made per game. Even more remarkable.

Reaction Score
Per team possession when on the court, he took 3s more often than Karaban or Spencer last season.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
C’mon people we need shooters and this guy can shoot. Let’s get him first and if all he does is spread the floor and gets donuts for rebounds…Let’s just say The Boneyarders have already dealt with this.

My gut tells me he will be a great addition.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Because Dayton is 346th out of 362 teams in possessions per game. Brea was still 26th in the country in 3 pointers made per game. Even more remarkable.
Per team possession when on the court, he took 3s more often than Karaban or Spencer last season.

Great stuff. He can shoot it.

I’d still say, a guy that can shoot like this should be getting more shots. Karaban and Spencer had more offensive shot arsenal than just 3s and more good players around them.

I find it interesting that Dayton couldn’t find him more shots. How or why, that’s something I don’t have enough info on.

Reaction Score
Basketball and money are available everywhere. It matters but so does comfort. Why would players leave Kentucky to go play at Arkansas? When everything is equal. Because of things like being close to home do matter. And you realize that after living in Dayton-f%*^ing Ohio for 4 years
My wife’s best friend and our daughters god mother is Dominican. She has volunteered to drive up from NY once a week, bring her extended Dominican family, cook a Dominican meal and we will host Koby at our house in Lebanon. Home cooked meal, house full of Dominicans, problem solved. Welcome to UConn Koby!!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Great stuff. He can shoot it.

I’d still say, a guy that can shoot like this should be getting more shots. Karaban and Spencer had more offensive shot arsenal than just 3s and more good players around them.

I find it interesting that Dayton couldn’t find him more shots. How or why, that’s something I don’t have enough info on.

I'm thinking back to when Tyler Polley was here. When he was on the floor, the defense's main objective was to keep him from getting an open look. I would imagine it's the same with a guy that shoots 49% from 3.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking back to when Tyler Polley was here. When he was on the floor, the defense's main objective was to keep him from getting an open look. I would imagine it's the same with a guy that shoots 49% from 3.
Polley was also a total liability on the court.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Polley was also a total liability on the court.

My point is that Brea is a fantastic shooter and that's his main strength unlike Cam, so teams really just have to chase him off the 3 point line. The fact that he still got off 6 shots a game is impressive, so I'd take him in a heartbeat if he can play solid D.

Reaction Score
Let’s recap: he’s not the overall player that Spencer or McNeeley are, but he’s an excellent shooter and that’s really it. Thats still very valuable and I’d love him as a Husky.

I also would personally prefer McNeeley OVER him or WITH him, but not instead. I’d love McNeeley plus Hausen or Brea as bench snipers playing a critical role.
Wait……we have young guys who we want to keep and to do that they need PT? How many more players, and these new guys expect to play can we add?

Reaction Score

Book 'em, Dano!

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Thanks Mr. French.

My two main points on this thread when it comes to Brea is the following;

- Saw people comparing him to a Spencer comp- which again I don’t think he’s as valuable or as good as went Spencer decided to transfer here

- Someone replied back to me saying that I am nuts to say or think McNeely is better than Brea considering the age & experience- again strong points but I disagree- I believe McNeely is the real deal & would be more impactful next year than Brea

With all this said, I do love Brea’s shooting ability, size, overall length, & experience. As I said originally I would like to see him on UConn next year as well as McNeely.

Hopefully this clears up my thoughts on this topic.

This is where I am too, so I felt like you were just pointing out his "lack" of overall game, not being overly negative.

I'm with you that McNeeley, frosh or not, is a better player overall than he is, and would be a better "get" for us. But I'm obviously not opposing a kid like this, with these tools and experience, and especially if our staff likes him.

This kid can REALLY shoot it, and we can be pretty sure that will translate.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I don't know if we get McNeeley, but if not I expect us to go after Brea.

Reaction Score
Cam wasn't one dimensional on offense. Brea basically lived at the 3pt line. Cam got half his points inside the arc and went to the FT line a fair amount, and is also a very good passer (Brea at least at Dayton was not). Spencer was also an underrated help defender and despite his lack of athleticism even rebounded decently. I think Brea or Hausen would play a slightly super sized Joey C role and not a replacement for Cam.
Cam was the man, scored at all levels at high rate and 90 plus from 3. We are so spoiled, he was a 50/40/90 guy until last game. Only 12-14 in history including karaban this year. Guy was an absolute stud, comparing brea to him is a massive insult. In addition, always came up with big steal or rebound. Highest bbiq in UConn history imo.

Reaction Score
Cam was the man, scored at all levels at high rate and 90 plus from 3. We are so spoiled, he was a 50/40/90 guy until last game. Only 12-14 in history including karaban this year. Guy was an absolute stud, comparing brea to him is a massive insult. In addition, always came up with big steal or rebound. Highest bbiq in UConn history imo.
90 from line

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
McNeeley is a traditional small forward. Brea is a big shooting guard. I think they can coexist.

They can, but there are only so many spots in the rotation. I'm guessing we only bring in one guard/wing that gets significant minutes, otherwise one of Stewie/Solo will get squeezed out of minutes. If Karaban leaves then maybe it'll be fine, although by the time he decides I doubt McNeeley and Brea are still on the board.

Reaction Score
They can, but there are only so many spots in the rotation. I'm guessing we only bring in one guard/wing that gets significant minutes, otherwise one of Stewie/Solo will get squeezed out of minutes. If Karaban leaves then maybe it'll be fine, although by the time he decides I doubt McNeeley and Brea are still on the board.
We’d be extremely young. I think he definitely adds another vet in the back court

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom