KO needs to see Geno is the AM. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

KO needs to see Geno is the AM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One thing (of many) that has frustrated the hell out of me with our offense this year has been when we have the ball to close out the first half and shot clock is off and we can hold for final shot. We have ZERO ability to run a play. Atleast three times we've dribbled around at the top of the key and either can't pass the ball to where we want to or start the offense too late and everytime end up hucking a contested 3.
I'm a believer in momentum and heading into half with a well executed play for the final points is huge but we seem to have a serious problem executing unless boat tosses a hail mary 3 and connects. Situational stuff like that has been seriously lacking

Reaction Score
Anyone that thinks that Geno just recruits and then tosses the players out there is as much an idiot as anyone that thinks KO doesn't try to get the team to run set plays. .......

UConn's men run a 3-out 2-in motion offense. You may not have realized that because they only started running it in the late 1980s. So I guess I'm an idiot for thinking the men's offense does that instead of running set plays.

Reaction Score
Then you don't know much about BB. Hugh difference in athletic ability, speed, jumping ability. But set plays are set plays and Geno does and excellent job on set play and the offense he runs. Ball movement, back cuts, post ups and high low post ups is all about basketball. Doesn't matter if it's men or woman.
The plays I run for 6 years at the YMCA league games are great, but they also won't work against SMU on Saturday.

Reaction Score
If you could quantify the rational understanding of fans of the game they are watching, and then break it down into a 100 point scale, with superior knowledge of the sport at 100 (think MMA practitioners watching UFC) and no knowledge at 0 (think HS girlfriend watching her first football game with you), and then you could take a random sampling of the entire fan base of all college teams, be they water polo, BBall, baseball, and so on, what you'd find is that UConn Women's Basketball fans are the lowest ranked fan base in the country, for any sport, any school, at any level above high school. Literally at the level of "we score good, they score bad."

Which, really, is a compliment, because they are rabid supporters of the team regardless.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Our men's team struggles to pass the ball in bounds and defeat a zone. You want them to run Geno's plays? seriously?

Geno has some great sets. He does. He's also got a 50% three point shooter, a center that can block the ball, dribble it up the court..shoot a three, pull up for a midrange jumper, or go in for an easy layup..whichever she'd like..the female version of Kemba Walker..the female version of Jeff Adrien..and Kelly Faris 2.0.. And he's not facing the kind of defense the men's teams face because of this disparity in talent and coaching.

I've seen Men's teams run plays similar to Geno. It's plain silly to say that it can't be done in the men's game. Because it has been done. And still is done. But this particular Uconn team couldn't do it. The ability to run these plays have a lot to do with the abilities of the players you are coaching.

edit: And yea, the talent level that Geno is able to coach is unbelievable. I had to laugh at the last Olympics..when Tina, Diana, Sue, and Maya were all starting..and Ashja and Swin were on the bench. Which means, in 2002...we had four Olympians starting for us. One of them is probably the greatest player to ever play the game..another was probably the best point guard to play the game..and two consistent all stars. Geno arguably had the best backcourt players ever..starting for his team. That's like if some team started Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan in college. That would be why his plays look so pretty..
Lol, the woman's plays look spectacular because women are defending them. As a rule they have smaller reachers, shorter verticals and slower reaction times. You just are going to get the same spacing against a Div 1 men's team. That isn't to say the women weren't spectacular last night, they were. I was probably the most enjoyable blow out I've seen in quite a while.

Reaction Score
Lol, the woman's plays look spectacular because women are defending them. As a rule they have smaller reachers, shorter verticals and slower reaction times. You just are going to get the same spacing against a Div 1 men's team. That isn't to say the women weren't spectacular last night, they were. I was probably the most enjoyable blow out I've seen in quite a while.
Exactly this. Men's athleticism allows them to take offenses out of what they would like to do on a totally different level than women's athleticism.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The point of the OP was our offense sucks. We have very little player movement. There is no system.

I don't understand what this means.. to say we don't have a system is just plain silly. We play dibble hand off basketball..that is a system. You may not like it, it may not be effective this year but we 100% have a system.

Reaction Score
For someone who doesn't seem to like self-absorbed blowhards... You sure come across as a self-absorbed blowhard.

Only because I actually support and appreciate both teams and have no tolerance for oversensitive people with pen!s issues. There is so much stupid, ignorance and mental weakness in this thread it is overwhelming. I will let them live in their little delusional worlds and stop here. It isn't worth my time.

Reaction Score
7774 said:
Exactly this. Men's athleticism allows them to take offenses out of what they would like to do on a totally different level than women's athleticism.

Everything is relative. The Spurs ran pretty spectacular offense last year against NBA athletes. Junior high can run good offense against junior high defenses. There is stuff that can translate across different levels, but offense is often dictated by personnel. Our women are playing Stewart at the 5 - who can score from anywhere on the floor - and have the best three-point shooter in the history of their sport on the wing. Our men don't have those things.

Tuck at the 4 is also an inside-out threat who can attack off the dribble. Our men have that when we put Hamilton there, but Brimah or Nolan aren't bringing the other team's five out of the paint the way Stewart does and we don't have a KML to stand outside while DHam drives and prevent that help defender from sagging. The women can spread the floor and give Tuck (or Stewart) a lane. If we got Frank Kaminsky to play the 5 and Rashad Anderson to space the floor, suddenly DHam could be killing 4s off the dribble, Boat or Purvis would sometimes be able to drive with no help defense rotating and our offense would probably look more fluid. Jefferson beat her man off the bounce a couple times with great moves and got all the way to the rim with no bigs in sight. When's the last time that happened for Boat?

Reaction Score
Then you don't know much about BB. Hugh difference in athletic ability, speed, jumping ability. But set plays are set plays and Geno does and excellent job on set play and the offense he runs. Ball movement, back cuts, post ups and high low post ups is all about basketball. Doesn't matter if it's men or woman.
Then how come in the 7 years I coached Varsity basketball my set plays worked when I had great players and did not work so well when the players were not so good? Geno's plays look good mostly because he has some of the BEST players in the country running them.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Then how come in the 7 years I coached Varsity basketball my set plays worked when I had great players and did not work so well when the players were not so good? Geno's plays look good mostly because he has some of the BEST players in the country running them.
To back up your point have you or @mcs333 watched the last 3-4 minutes of UConn's blow out games when the second team plays? Same coach, same supposed set plays, same opposing players, but the offense stagnates.

Great coaching has limitations. Inexperience, lack of talented players or talented players with out complementary skill sets negate the best coaches.

This is not to take away from Geno. I know he brings in class after class of the best or one of the most talented classes year after year. But other coaches also do this even though the numbers are fewer than in men's bb. What he does better than others is bring in the type of player that has his drive and discipline as well as skill set and/or is masterful at getting those attributes from them.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Got to hand it to Geno though. He sat 3 of his top kids because he wasn't happy with the way they played in the first half against Memphis. Who doesn't think he was sending a message to them with the S Carolina game up next?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Only because I actually support and appreciate both teams and have no tolerance for oversensitive people with pen!s issues. There is so much stupid, ignorance and mental weakness in this thread it is overwhelming. I will let them live in their little delusional worlds and stop here. It isn't worth my time.

Reaction Score
To back up your point have you or @mcs333 watched the last 3-4 minutes of UConn's blow out games when the second team plays? Same coach, same supposed set plays, same opposing players, but the offense stagnates.

Great coaching has limitations. Inexperience, lack of talented players or talented players with out complementary skill sets negate the best coaches.

This is not to take away from Geno. I know he brings in class after class of the best or one of the most talented classes year after year. But other coaches also do this even though the numbers are fewer than in men's bb. What he does better than others is bring in the type of player that has his drive and discipline as well as skill set and/or is masterful at getting those attributes from them.
My comment would be Great coaching does not have limitations rather team results have limitations. Some of my best coaching in HS was getting 7-8 wins with a no-talent team. The real good teams I had you could throw out a ball and read the paper and they would go 15-5. Good coaching could get them to 18-20 wins. I think Geno has both great players and coaches/manages his team very well.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My comment would be Great coaching does not have limitations rather team results have limitations. Some of my best coaching in HS was getting 7-8 wins with a no-talent team. The real good teams I had you could throw out a ball and read the paper and they would go 15-5. Good coaching could get them to 18-20 wins. I think Geno has both great players and coaches/manages his team very well.
Semantics. My comment was directed at OP who implied KO needs coaching lessons. Doubt Geno would have significantly different results with this men's bb team than KO.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Got to hand it to Geno though. He sat 3 of his top kids because he wasn't happy with the way they played in the first half against Memphis. Who doesn't think he was sending a message to them with the S Carolina game up next?
Not exactly a huge risk when the bench is the second best team in the country.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Geno's players are taught to make the extra pass. Everyone gets a touch. Our guys don't do that. The ball gets stuck & often someone makes a desperation 3 at the end of a shot clock. I would like to see crisp passing with the men & everyone getting involved. Course, that hot potato thing they do around the perimeter also makes me CRAZY!

Reaction Score
A couple more self-absorbed blowhards. Way to read. I am talking about the claim that people, the OP included, are comparing the teams. They aren't. I just used a couple of past examples that really crawl up people's arses which are also, in fact, direct comparisons. I used these examples to demonstrate that the OP did NOT make a direct comparison. Get it?

And to the other genius, do you really still believe that most teams aren't breaking the rules way more than KO is? Do you still believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny too?

One BIG self absorbed blowhard ^^^^ ignore it if you don't like it seriously people like you make me laugh! Let's pay recruits but don't you dare diss Geno's offense in the men's game? lol

How many times have people discussed this topic of running Geno's offense in the mens game. It's a great offense and yeah all coaches should try their own version in the mens game. But it isn't that same and anyone that thinks you could run it 10 times to perfection against other mens teams is really out of his/her mind, as in whacked. So if you don't know the history keep your crap to yourself. No one cares about who you believe is self absorbed. Rather than talk about others let's hear how you feel on the topic?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
1) You can't compare the two teams. Period.
2) Some of you are so defensive and touchy about the women it is embarrassing. Geno and the women are great. Geno did not start with the best players in the country.
You sound like if the men recruited like that,you would refuse recruits for a more fair competition.
No playbook. No equity. But we have the best women's program in history and I don't know why it burns some of sour butts.
I know some of you are just stating the obvious (don't co mpare).But others, IMO, have

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Uconn men players stayed four years we would have AD and DD on our team right now.
And Kentucky would have Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, who won a title as freshmen.

Reaction Score
But we have the best women's program in history and I don't know why it burns some of sour butts.
Let me help you here. It's not the program, it's the fans.
About the 5th time I heard, "the women's team probably could beat the men's team," I started to develop a latent animosity toward the women's fans.
If they were more sophisticated about the sport, had played it, and had the proper respect for the men's game, then the wouldn't bother me as much.

Let me put it this way:

Winning 4 NCAA tournis for the men >>>> Winning 13 for the women.

Okay?

We don't mind our program being compared to any other team in the country - but we don't want to compared to, contrasted with, or receive input from the women's team.

Reaction Score
Geno's players are taught to make the extra pass. Everyone gets a touch. Our guys don't do that.

This. Exhibit A as to why I can't stand the posts about the women's team. Please get a memo to KO telling him to teach the players to "make the extra pass." I think it will come in handy, and could potentially save the season. While you're at it, tell him to teach them to "play as a team" and "take good shots." I'm honestly not sure why he hasn't done this yet, it's February for god's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom