KO: "Its old school" | The Boneyard

KO: "Its old school"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

I also like that we took so few 3s. It's not our strength. Less 3 pointers means we are being more aggressive in attacking the rim, getting better shots, and getting to the line.

Less 3s also allows our big boys to have a better chance of getting offensive rebounds.

I hope we continue to play more aggressive and physical on offense. Just like our old school big east uconn teams. I want us to be bullies on the court not pretty boy players.

Reaction Score

I also like that we took so few 3s. It's not our strength. Less 3 pointers means we are being more aggressive in attacking the rim, getting better shots, and getting to the line.

Less 3s also allows our big boys to have a better chance of getting offensive rebounds.

I hope we continue to play more aggressive and physical on offense. Just like our old school big east uconn teams. I want us to be bullies on the court not pretty boy players.

As long as we outscore the other team, I really don't care how we do it.

Reaction Score
the idea that its better to take less threes is asinine. A win is a win, but this kind of speaks to KOs antiquated offensive philosophy, like pounding it in to inept bigs no matter the cost.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
the idea that its better to take less threes is asinine. A win is a win, but this kind of speaks to KOs antiquated offensive philosophy, like pounding it in to inept bigs no matter what cost.

James I hate to break your bubble but as much as you try and make it seem you are an expert of basketball you really don't know what you are talking about.

KO from day 1 said he wanted to play a system of position-less bball w/ 4 guys who can rebound it and push the ball up. He's been trying to implement a fast break oriented team but we lost Alterique and TL. KOs offensive philosophy is far from antiquated.

He has to play a system that fits the players that we have. Our guards have woeful shooting percentages from the perimeter. Why would you want to have a system that has them chuck more 3s.

One of the biggest reasons our offense has struggled is because we fail to get to the line. Shooting 3s doesnt help in that category. He has us going in the right direction.

KO knows what he is doing. He has a Phd in basketball, you clearly don't.

Reaction Score
James I hate to break your bubble but as much as you try and make it seem you are an expert of basketball you really don't know what you are talking about.

KO from day 1 said he wanted to play a system of position-less bball w/ 4 guys who can rebound it and push the ball up. He's been trying to implement a fast break oriented team but we lost Alterique and TL. KOs offensive philosophy is far from antiquated.

He has to play a system that fits the players that we have. Our guards have woeful shooting percentages from the perimeter. Why would you want to have a system that has them chuck more 3s.

One of the biggest reasons our offense has struggled is because we fail to get to the line. Shooting 3s doesnt help in that category. He has us going in the right direction.

Generally speaking , saying you feel good about taking less threes is a bit strange, specifically since we are zoned up the entire game. But if you think ko has a phd in coaching offense carry on.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I keep hearing people like Tim Welsh or Jay Bilas say that they really like the things Ollie implements on both offense and defense. It happened again today with Welsh.

I'm so conflicted; do I believe posters like James, or people who are well known in the basketball community? So conflicted... :eek:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Its not that James might not know basketball but we do know he is a KO basher

Reaction Score
the idea that its better to take less threes is asinine. A win is a win, but this kind of speaks to KOs antiquated offensive philosophy, like pounding it in to inept bigs no matter the cost.
There are many advantages of taking shots in the paint. One they are higher percentage shots. Two, there is a greater chance of drawing fouls which can put the other team in foul trouble and get easy shots from the foul line. Three, the rebounds don't go as far so it makes it less likely the opposing team can go out on a fast break. Four, players in the paint often draw a double team leaving somebody open.

Reaction Score
Generally speaking , saying you feel good about taking less threes is a bit strange, specifically since we are zoned up the entire game. But if you think ko has a phd in coaching offense carry on.

You don't break a zone with threes, unless you're Steph Curry.

Reaction Score
You don't break a zone with threes, unless you're Steph Curry.
Three point shot making does break a zone, unless i dreamt up the term 'zone buster'.

Reaction Score
Against a zone, you take what the defense gives you. The D will take away certain areas but can't take away them all. Teams are successful against a zone D by getting the ball into the middle. North Florida did not collapse on the man in the middle, so KF got a lot of wide open looks. When a team swarms KF or whoever is in the middle, the best idea is to kick out for a wide open 3. You can't go into a game versus a 2-3 predetermined to get looks from a specific spot on the floor.

Reaction Score
3 years ago during the middle of the 2014 season, KO was roasted on this board.

Word for word, some of the same critiques about him are out there, many calling for his ouster in his second year. It could be that KO is weak in the same areas, but he coached masterfully in the last 9 to 10 games of that season. I just wish people acknowledged what happened and didn't return to the mid-season 2014 KO bashing.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Three point shot making does break a zone, unless i dreamt up the term 'zone buster'.
Two things break a zone: ball movement into and out of the high post and vicious offensive rebounding.

If you get 3s against a well-drilled zone, it's almost certainly a product of one or both of the above. That's it.

Reaction Score

Zones are beaten from the inside out. Yes, you need to make shots, but unless you are a threat in the middle and in the short corner the zone will stretch and you will not see open threes.

Next lesson . . .

Reaction Score
spot on...I have coached against a zone quite a few times.
Against a zone, you take what the defense gives you. The D will take away certain areas but can't take away them all. Teams are successful against a zone D by getting the ball into the middle. North Florida did not collapse on the man in the middle, so KF got a lot of wide open looks. When a team swarms KF or whoever is in the middle, the best idea is to kick out for a wide open 3. You can't go into a game versus a 2-3 predetermined to get looks from a specific spot on the floor.

C

Chief00

LOL - Is that Ollie or Chief00?

Reaction Score
Two things break a zone: ball movement into and out of the high post and vicious offensive rebounding.

If you get 3s against a well-drilled zone, it's almost certainly a product of one or both of the above. That's it.

You can definitely break a zone by shooting over it from 3. We have seen this in the past with Shad. We just don't have the personnel.

Reaction Score
I think @James knows how to beat a zone. His point stands that the ball does need to go into the basket.

I don't think KO's offense is antiquated. If anything, it might be the opposite (too modern with not enough built-in movement). Seems like in recent games he has alleviated the pressure of Adams and Purvis by running more circle action, which was pretty much a staple of Calhoun's offenses. In general, you want to shoot more threes than less. In this case, with limited personnel, that might not be as true, and it's definitely not as true when you are getting layups and free throws.

That said, James is one of the best posters on this board, so you all can walk your high horse back.

Reaction Score
Wanting to see less threes does not necessarily mean KO wants to get the ball to the bigs. It may mean he wants to see more dribble penetration by the guards. Ball penetration by guards is definitely not antiquated and i seriously doubt it ever will be.

Reaction Score
I think that time on the floor is helping and we looked so much better today, that's undeniable but it has to be judged by competition. We continue to give up crazy numbers of 3's and I know we are playing zone but 12? I really liked what I saw from Enoch today, he kept the ball alive several times and was very active with footwork and rebounding position. 7 rebounds, 7 points, 4 blocks, 22 minutes. If he can be this for us night in and out, we can be something good as long as Facey plays like he did. I ask, is this the start for him? This may sound crazy but today's game gives me hope that with continued improvement we can be competitive in the AAC, and with our short roster that would be saying something.

Reaction Score
I think that time on the floor is helping and we looked so much better today, that's undeniable but it has to be judged by competition. We continue to give up crazy numbers of 3's and I know we are playing zone but 12? I really liked what I saw from Enoch today, he kept the ball alive several times and was very active with footwork and rebounding position. 7 rebounds, 7 points, 4 blocks, 22 minutes. If he can be this for us night in and out, we can be something good as long as Facey plays like he did. I ask, is this the start for him? This may sound crazy but today's game gives me hope that with continued improvement we can be competitive in the AAC, and with our short roster that would be saying something.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but if another guy like Dallas Moore wants to heave 3s from NBA distance with a guy right in his face, well--that's not going to work most of the time. Especially the three 3's that bounced off the front rim, kissed the backboard, and went in.

I say, if you want to do that, then go ahead.

There are not many players who have such a high release, can shoot it so quickly, with a lot of touch.

Reaction Score
KO's philosophy when he had Shabazz, Daniels, Gif and Boat was 4 out and kill you with 3's. The fact that he has adjusted to the fact that we no longer have those players does not make him antiquated, merely sensible. The notion that KO pounds it into his big's too much is hilarious - we don't throw it down low enough, let alone too much. Even when we had someone as skilled as Shonn Miller down low we didn't take advantage of it.

Reaction Score
I will take as many high % shots as we can get. RIP Hamilton had an awesome mid range game and led UCONN to its first national championship. A lot of bad teams rely way to heavily on threes.

Reaction Score
It seemed to me like they really focused on only taking good threes in this game. They took the open ones and didn't try to force many, and that resulted in going 4/9 from beyond the arc, which has got to be our best shooting percentage of the year thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom