KO: "Its old school" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

KO: "Its old school"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It would be dumb to launch 3s with what's left of this roster, Bazz/Boat/Giffey/Daniels aren't walking through that door midseason. Adams is much better as a pull-up jump shooter and driver creating offense for himself or others at this stage of his career, and Facey is developing confidence in the middle of the paint/zone, might as well play off of those strengths. If Gilbert and Larrier were still healthy and if Purvis didn't have his offensive game zapped during the offseason I wouldn't want to play through the bigs either but they are going to need to develop secondary scorers, gotta pick and choose your spots when you can get the bigs touches to get them confidence on the offensive end. I'm also of the belief that if you get them involved on offense they have the tendency to play much harder on the defensive end and on the glass.

Reaction Score
Play to your strengths as an offense, but there's nothing inherently admirable about an "old school" approach.

Reaction Score
@aceboon its not about launching threes, its about insinuating you're happy taking the least amount possible. KO sounds like byron scott, BY can take that as they want.

Reaction Score
@aceboon its not about launching threes, its about insinuating you're happy taking the least amount possible. KO sounds like byron scott, BY can take it as they want.
He's happy about this roster taking less 3s considering they've shot like garbage for the most part this season taking them. I don't really get what is so hard to understand about this, he's said it countless times the past couple of years postgame when the team has struggled to make outside shots, if the shots aren't falling from outside, flip the script and take it to the basket or try to play inside out to try to get something else going. In a game where they played with an offensive flow, complaining about the approach is some reddit nerd nonsense.

Reaction Score
@aceboon "reddit nerd nonsense" ... all i said was ollie preaching less threes is weird. but you too, carry on.

Reaction Score
@aceboon "reddit nerd nonsense" ... all i said was ollie preaching less threes is weird. but you too, carry on.

I think everyone with a pulse recognizes that conventional wisdom has evolved to recognize the value of the three and of guys who can make threes, such that dinosaurs like Byron Scott who reflexively want fewer threes as a matter of principle sound out of touch. Ollie saying he was happy to see fewer threes on a team full of absolute brick layers is not that and I'm not sure why you're trying to make it seem like it is.

Reaction Score
For this particular group it should not be weird. A UConn team that can't shoot gets zoned up from the opening tip, instead of just hoisting up 3s to try to beat the zone they respond by going inside, getting the ball to middle, and the guards penetrating the gaps and have one of their better offensive performances. Ollie applauds that approach in the postgame, I don't get being mocked as out of touch and outdated for doing so but I guess this is where his approval rating is with some of ya'll.

Reaction Score
I think everyone with a pulse recognizes that conventional wisdom has evolved to recognize the value of the three and of guys who can make threes, such that dinosaurs like Byron Scott who reflexively want fewer threes as a matter of principle sound out of touch. Ollie saying he was happy to see fewer threes on a team full of absolute brick layers is not that and I'm not sure why you're trying to make it seem like it is.
4 out of the top 5 minutes played on the team are vital adams purvis and jackson. encouraging less threes curbs their upside as catch n shoot guys but i guess thats just my opinion. I understand encouraging getting FTAS, but imo that has more to do with natural talent than strategy.

also telling vital vance and purvis to stop taking threes ( once they play better competition, not north freaking florida) is an impossible task, take a look at their 3pt rate on the year. all they do is jack threes, purvis entered the year as an elite 3pt college shooter, vital and vance were known shooters in hs. How about he works on better screen setting from his players? get them more open looks to fulfill their potential? creative base line OOB plays? but ok, let just stan KO here.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who realized at least 2 years ago that you should just ignore 90% of what KO says to the media because it's off the cuff random comments?

The guy is probably happy we ran our offense well enough to avoid jacking up a bunch of bad end of shot clock 3's. The comment doesn't require Zapruder level analysis.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was surprised to see Jalen at 43 percent from deep.

Rough week James. Reddit nerd is a low blow. In seriousness, I think you are taking KOs statement too literally. I dont think he thinks 3s are inherently bad, our recent history shows differently. The emphasis should be to play inside out to beat a zone. I think you would agree with that, we just don't have the type of team to shoot over a zone. I'm sure KO would have been equally happy with the offense if Facey was kicking out to open shooters all day long. You obviously need to take 3s if they are wide open and if the D is packing it in.

Reaction Score
@walker11 can't believe i was actually called a reddit nerd, after all my bemoaning the other week of that bs site ha.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
4 out of the top 5 minutes played on the team are vital adams purvis and jackson. encouraging less threes curbs their upside as catch n shoot guys
Catch and shoot guys? None of them are that

Adams is an elite finisher at the rim. Drive/dish or finish is his game not catch and shoot.

Purvis should be a catch and shoot guy but fancies himself as more and Ollie encourages that. So maybe.

Jackson has not really shown that he should he jacking threes all the time. For a " shooter" he has some misses that make you want to cry. I mean not close. He may be eventually.

Vital can be a effective at times in that role but that's not really his role and shouldn't be.

So yeah, no. I agree with ko this is not a team we want hoisting. And by not hoisting all the time maybe we get better shots when we do shoot from out there.

Reaction Score
Maybe there is more disagreement on this than I thought. Does anyone think that our guards/wings should pass up wide open looks?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Maybe there is more disagreement on this than I thought. Does anyone think that our guards/wings should pass up wide open looks?

Nope. But I only had one issue in the whole game yesterday and that is when in the first half Rodney passed up an open 3 of a nice Jalen kick only to ball fake and drive with a guy 8 feet off him. Of course it was a travel.

That is the only time I felt frustrated about passing up a good shot the whole game yesterday.
Our offense has really improved the last few gsmes

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Depends on what you mean by wide open. Not all wide open shots are good shots to take. It also depends on the player, the game situation, how "hot" the player is, etc. It's not black and white.

A flat-footed shot from a stalled ball is never a high-percentage shot no matter how wide open the player is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Depends on what you mean by wide open. Not all wide open shots are good shots to take. It also depends on the player, the game situation, how "hot" the player is, etc. It's not black and white.

A flat-footed shot from a stalled ball is never a high-percentage shot no matter how wide open the player is.

I'm not talking about a pull-up 3 on a 3 on 1 fast break or when we are trying to ice a game. In general, if one of our guards is wide open, they should be encouraged to shoot and I imagine they are.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I'm not talking about a pull-up 3 on a 3 on 1 fast break or when we are trying to ice a game. In general, if one of our guards is wide open, they should be encouraged to shoot and I imagine they are.
Agreed.

But some of our perimeter players need to learn the subtleties of when to pull the trigger. KO is not against the 3 point shot, he's against settling for the first three that looks remotely open.

I'm looking at you, Purvis...

Reaction Score
The only point of emphasis I want going forward into the next few games is getting Facey double digit shot attempts. I think its possible that there is a very good player somewhere inside. I think Kentan is just starting to realize this but he needs a few more good outings to sustain his confidence. I think our best, most high ceiling squad is a version with KF as our 2nd, maybe 3rd leading scorer after Jalen and probably Rodney. Again, he may not have it but he has shown flashes that he can be a very good offensive player.

Reaction Score
Nope. But I only had one issue in the whole game yesterday and that is when in the first half Rodney passed up an open 3 of a nice Jalen kick only to ball fake and drive with a guy 8 feet off him. Of course it was a travel.

That is the only time I felt frustrated about passing up a good shot the whole game yesterday.
Our offense has really improved the last few gsmes

I was going to bring up that specific play. He does that sort of thing all the time. I don't have a problem with Ollie's comments unless Purvis is being encouraged to pass up open looks (which, again, he does all the time). He needs to be purely a catch and shoot guy.

Reaction Score
4 out of the top 5 minutes played on the team are vital adams purvis and jackson. encouraging less threes curbs their upside as catch n shoot guys but i guess thats just my opinion. I understand encouraging getting FTAS, but imo that has more to do with natural talent than strategy.

also telling vital vance and purvis to stop taking threes ( once they play better competition, not north freaking florida) is an impossible task, take a look at their 3pt rate on the year. all they do is jack threes, purvis entered the year as an elite 3pt college shooter, vital and vance were known shooters in hs. How about he works on better screen setting from his players? get them more open looks to fulfill their potential? creative base line OOB plays? but ok, let just stan KO here.
Purvis is missing wide open shots, and he's missing them from every spot on the floor -- from behind the arc, in the lane, you name it -- so I don't know what kind of magic screen you think will help. He's had slumps before and then he gets streaky hot and looks like he'll never miss, we just have to ride it out. Vance did come here as a shooter, but for the moment he's shooting 29% from 3, as is CV, so I don't think I'm giving them the keys to the offense just yet.

KO runs a guard oriented offense that puts zero emphasis on getting his bigs the ball down low, but this year his personnel doesn't match up with that concept, so what do you expect him to say "yeah, well we won tonite, but if our players didn't suck from 3 I wouldn't be caught dead getting Facey, Brimah and Enoch the ball that much, but maybe when Vance stops looking like a deer caught in the headlights and Purvis finds his shot we'll go back to playing Ollie-ball."

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I was going to bring up that specific play. He does that sort of thing all the time. I don't have a problem with Ollie's comments unless Purvis is being encouraged to pass up open looks (which, again, he does all the time). He needs to be purely a catch and shoot guy.

He only does that when it makes no sense to.

When a guy closes out hard and a good fake and attack would have a layip, he'll float one over the outstretched arms.

I think that guy just has little feel for the game. I see it many times a game with things such as this, and I've seen players give the same look, i.e. "why aren't you shooting that" or vice versa.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Purvis just needs to be put in positions to think as less as possible. Being a catch and shoot guy, running off screens to get him open looks, just set him up. He is a great scorer when he is put in position too. Just don't ask him to create.

I don't think Ollie doesn't want this team shooting 3s. But chucking and looking for the 3 point shot is just not a good brand of basketball. Especially not for this team. Attacking causes fouls, puts pressure on the other team because of things like being in the bonus (we know all about that pressure this year), AND it creates open 3 pointers. I don't see the issue with what Ollie said at all. Offense has looked great since the Syracuse game.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
KO's philosophy when he had Shabazz, Daniels, Gif and Boat was 4 out and kill you with 3's. The fact that he has adjusted to the fact that we no longer have those players does not make him antiquated, merely sensible. The notion that KO pounds it into his big's too much is hilarious - we don't throw it down low enough, let alone too much. Even when we had someone as skilled as Shonn Miller down low we didn't take advantage of it.
Ollie fed the ball to Miller multiple times on the low post in the Kansas game and Miller came up empty. That's on Miller, not Ollie.

Reaction Score
I think the point Ollie was making is that he was happy to win without us attempting to match 3s like the opponent. In that since it was an old school victory (i.e. 2s vs 3s).

I didn't read it as philosophy change just a point of fact.

There will be games when we will be shooting 3s, especially when we're behind double digits. The last game we didn't need to (and resisted) which made the victory that much sweeter regardless of the opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom