KO is blaming the players again... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

KO is blaming the players again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Just seems JC would always do it for Ollie.

Reaction Score
JC would possibly help out because he always spoke of developing a lasting program, not just a good coaching career. He wanted a legacy program, at least at one time.

Reaction Score
I agree. I'm willing to give KO one more year to make the Tourney if he doesn't this year though we can't afford to play like this for 3 straight years. We aren't in good enough conference to be mediocre for long.
Careful what you wish for. Recruits aren't coming here to play in the Awful Awful Conference or to play half their home games in front of a half filled Civic Center where the guys on the bench can hear fans conversing in the 200s. I agree we've underachieved for 1.5 yrs now, but he was awesome his first 2 years - he'll get it back.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Careful what you wish for. Recruits aren't coming here to play in the Awful Awful Conference or to play half their home games in front of a half filled Civic Center where the guys on the bench can hear fans conversing in the 200s. I agree we've underachieved for 1.5 yrs now, but he was awesome his first 2 years - he'll get it back.
That might be what they're doing if he doesn't get his shhht together

C

Chief00

Ollie was in the league for 13 years, he got to know someone who can draw up plays and put in an offense.

Reaction Score
Golden boy Ollie's not going anywhere so I think it's time to clean house with the assistant coaches..all of them. Big deal Miller and Hobbs were former D1 coaches, both got fired anyway. They just sit around and collect a nice pay check. I'm sick and tired of watching the horrendous coaching and lack of execution down the stretch against inferior opponents. Every. Single. Game. This is getting embarrassing.
Give Clyde Vaughn another chance.
The guy was awesome coaching bigs.
If pitino can still coach, bring back our bigs.

Reaction Score
Give Clyde Vaughn another chance.
The guy was awesome coaching bigs.
If pitino can still coach, bring back our bigs.

We also had good bigs then, coachable.

He would help with Enoch though for sure.

Reaction Score
Even JC couldn't conjure up a point guard out of thin air.

Even with a true PG this offense would be terrible. They would still stand around. If Ollie were the PG how much different would things be? Yes Bazz would make a difference, but I see the bigger issue being the way we run a half court offense.

Reaction Score
Even with a true PG this offense would be terrible. They would still stand around. If Ollie were the PG how much different would things be? Yes Bazz would make a difference, but I see the bigger issue being the way we run a half court offense.

This. Need playmakers we have one in all reality and for now he's not a good one. SG is a solid guard but doesn't make all that much happen as we know he's limited, a shooter. Rodney is a straight line guy, needs a lane to get to the hole. Jalen can but he's not very confident. Omar shoots the ball and only an occasional drive to the basket.

When you think about it in these terms, our team is limited and even worst when DHam isn't making shots or good decisions.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

You do realize a good PG would be telling everyone what to do and where to go. We don't have that guy right now. Hamilton is essentially our PG, but not only does he not possess all the necessary skills for the position, but he's not vocal or headstrong enough to handle it. Hamilton assessment is my opinion.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Chief approves the content of this message.

Clyde coached exactly 2 years at UCONN. Two. He's not responsible for 10 years of great big man play. There were quality bigs before his time and quality bigs after.

C

Chief00

Clyde coached exactly 2 years at UCONN. Two. He's not responsible for 10 years of great big man play. There were quality bigs before his time and quality bigs after.

Clyde we hardly knew you - true. But, he was the best for bigs both coaching and recruiting. George Blaney would be a huge improvement over our current situation.
But George is happily retired - Rasheed Wallace is another thought. He did some good work with AD before coaching change. I know AD liked him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Clyde we hardly knew you - true. But, he was the best for bigs both coaching and recruiting. George Blaney would be a huge improvement over our current situation.
But George is happily retired - Rashaad Wallace is another thought. He did some good work with AD before coaching change. I know AD liked him.

So would David Copperfield or David Blaine

intlzncster

Reaction Score
But George is happily retired - Rasheed Wallace is another thought. He did some good work with AD before coaching change. I know AD liked him.

Don't make the mistake that I don't think we could use a bigs coach. Because I do. I just think Clyde's stature has been elevated preternaturally by some people on here. He just happened to come along in the Emeka years. Emeka would have been who he was Clyde or no. The biggest improvement we could make with our post play is to recruit and land guys who are ready to go out of the gate, instead of 4 year projects.

If I had my choice, this would be my staff hires, in no order:

1. Crack recruiter with connections. A salesman and closer.
2. Quality Bigs coach
3. A game manager to assist Ollie mid game.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Clyde Vaughn would be great. I'd offer Boo Willingham some sort of position to help lock up Zach Brown.

But according to intlzncster above I would reorganize that to go with:
  1. A game manager to assist Ollie.
  2. Quality bigs coach - this cannot be overlooked anymore.
  3. Salesman. Ollie seems to be doing fine recruiting, just gotta develop your players, which quite frankly he has sucked at.

Reaction Score
You do realize a good PG would be telling everyone what to do and where to go. We don't have that guy right now. Hamilton is essentially our PG, but not only does he not possess all the necessary skills for the position, but he's not vocal or headstrong enough to handle it. Hamilton assessment is my opinion.

I disagree. A good point needs to be able run the offense according to the coaches system. Based on that framework the guard can tell people what to do. However, if the pg needs to tell people what to do from scratch we have bigger problems. KO was a PG so he should be able to them what to do.

I believe we cam improve dramatically with better zone offense sets. What do I know, but I would try get someone inside the gaps, free throw line. Dham would be my guy, with possibly Miller as backup. I can't think of anyone else on the team who can do this job. What are the other options? Phil, Omar... You want some who can catch turn and face up, hit a jumper, drive or get the ball to cutter/wing. It's not easy. If you can soften the zone from inside/out it will open up the perimeter. This may work best with Dham, I don't know.

We need changes because the scheme we have is not working consistently.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Clyde Vaughn would be great. I'd offer Boo Willingham some sort of position to help lock up Zach Brown.

But according to intlzncster above I would reorganize that to go with:
  1. A game manager to assist Ollie.
  2. Quality bigs coach - this cannot be overlooked anymore.
  3. Salesman. Ollie seems to be doing fine recruiting, just gotta develop your players, which quite frankly he has sucked at.

Again, my list was in no particular order.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Here's my list:

1) better players
2) smarter players
3) coachable, physical big

As I mentioned above. Ready made (or close) bigs. Not 4 year projects, unless they start at the end of the bench.

Reaction Score
We will see if he can get over his personal problems in time to get it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom