KO is blaming the players again... | The Boneyard

KO is blaming the players again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At some point he has to take accountability. He needs to make the game easier for these kids. Because their basketball IS isn't high enough to run a pro style offense. He needs to adjust to his players. Not the other way around.

Reaction Score
At some point he has to take accountability. He needs to make the game easier for these kids. Because their basketball IS isn't high enough to run a pro style offense. He needs to adjust to his players. Not the other way around.

The pro style offense looked good when they weren't running around like chickens with their heads run off. The players tend to panic and rush shots. Gibbs was rushing stuff earlier, now it's Hamilton's turn, and the disease is catching with Rodney tonight.

Unless these guys learn to play together and trust each other, things can and will actually get worse.

I blame Ollie mainly for the unthoughtful rotations.

At this point, you play the starters plus Jalen exclusively, for most of the game, and Omar only coms in when the team needs a blow. Let Facey be the 7th when Brimah comes back. Omar only for a few minutes. Nolan if foul trouble.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
So now Olliewood is pulling a. SQUID

Just shoot me in the head

Reaction Score
So now Olliewood is pulling a. SQUID

Just shoot me in the head
I love KO. Wouldn't want anyone else running this team. I just think he's a little stubborn when it comes to how he's going to run his offense. When shabazz was here it looked damn good.

Reaction Score
He needs to stand up for them with the refs on the road, and home too. We are just getting hosed.

Reaction Score
This disaster is a team effort.
Poor play. Coupled with poor coaching.
Hmm, recipe for a disaster!
That was the worst execution I've seen around here in a minute. The last 4 minutes.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I love KO. Wouldn't want anyone else running this team. I just think he's a little stubborn when it comes to how he's going to run his offense. When shabazz was here it looked damn good.
No one else running this team? Not Coach K, not JC, not Tom Izzo, not Mark Few? I can think of quite a few I'd rather have coaching this team. Have you once seen a Coach K. team play the way we're playing? You may love KO, but don't get carried away.

Reaction Score
No one else running this team? Not Coach K, not JC, not Tom Izzo, not Mark Few? I can think of quite a few I'd rather have coaching this team. Have you once seen a Coach K. team play the way we're playing? You may love KO, but don't get carried away.
I agree. I'm willing to give KO one more year to make the Tourney if he doesn't this year though we can't afford to play like this for 3 straight years. We aren't in good enough conference to be mediocre for long.

Reaction Score
You named possibly 3 of the greatest college coaches of all time. I believe KO will be an elite coach one day. He's just going through a learning curve. Id rather have a bright young coach over a retired coach and two coaches close to retirement. Lol

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
This team lacks brains and the ability to dribble. No one can dribble worth a darn.
Everyone of these guy is challenged to dribble when guarded and when you throw in a double team, the ball is stolen or tossed away.. Teams are realizing this and are forcing us to put the ball on the floor. This is why we get the super hard closeouts. Once the ball hits the floor we loose the advantage. Last year we had Boat.

Reaction Score
Ollie specifically says he needs to do a better job coaching this team so he is definitely taking responsibility. But seriously, when you're two leading scorers are 3-21 from the field, how many games can you expect to win? Hamilton needs to snap out of this slump or we may finish below .500 in the conference.

Reaction Score
Ollie specifically says he needs to do a better job coaching this team so he is definitely taking responsibility. But seriously, when you're two leading scorers are 3-21 from the field, how many games can you expect to win? Hamilton needs to snap out of this slump or we may finish below .500 in the conference.

Comment was made after the thread was made. I stand corrected

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My problem with Ollie's comments are that he is stating what is blindingly obvious to any of us during the game.

It didn't take a postgame come-to-Jesus moment while reading the boxscore to realize that UConn was just chucking the ball towards the basket from deep.

The three-point attempts were piling up, an early rebounding edge was completely erased, we were being outscored from the free-throw line two to one....all of this was in plain view.

So why didn't Ollie realize it? And if he's got blinders on for some reason during the game - something that does seem to happen - what in the holy hell is happening with the four assistants?

There's almost $4M in salaries sitting on that bench - work harder. Much, much harder.

I'm tired of hearing postgame recaps of problems we all saw during the game and then continued failures to address them.

Reaction Score
It's inexplicable. Honestly, the abject cluelessness we're seeing from the bench would have been unthinkable a year or so ago. I like the guy a lot, I think he's good for the program, I spent a lot of time thinking he's one of the bright young coaches in college basketball, but he's just been a worryingly bad coach for a while now.

Reaction Score
Golden boy Ollie's not going anywhere so I think it's time to clean house with the assistant coaches..all of them. Big deal Miller and Hobbs were former D1 coaches, both got fired anyway. They just sit around and collect a nice pay check. I'm sick and tired of watching the horrendous coaching and lack of execution down the stretch against inferior opponents. Every. Single. Game. This is getting embarrassing.

Reaction Score
Ollie's team lost two nice leads during this game. Tulsa's comeback was not due to our defense but due to our offense. Protecting the lead and closing games is not our forte. That by the way is not only on the players but the coaches shoulder the largest part of that responsibility. Not to be elementary but that's all about game management.

I really don't think Gibbs, Purvis and Adams on the floor looks cohesive. In fact it looks chaotic, particularly in our half court offense. Someone has to play the 3 and none of the 3 seem to know what to do. Can't Coach see that?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The pro style offense looked good when they weren't running around like chickens with their heads run off. The players tend to panic and rush shots. Gibbs was rushing stuff earlier, now it's Hamilton's turn, and the disease is catching with Rodney tonight.

Unless these guys learn to play together and trust each other, things can and will actually get worse.

I blame Ollie mainly for the unthoughtful rotations.

At this point, you play the starters plus Jalen exclusively, for most of the game, and Omar only coms in when the team needs a blow. Let Facey be the 7th when Brimah comes back. Omar only for a few minutes. Nolan if foul trouble.
Agreed. They didn't seem calm or comfortable. I'm sure Ollie was thinking wtf? I didn't say panic or jack a long distance three or stop moving the ball. I Don't think it's on Ollie as far as the planning, schemes, or execution but the rotations. When brimah is back it' facey adams and Calhoun. Enoch if need be. Hamilton also needs to get his head right. Mentally he seems not there

Reaction Score
I think our offensive schemes are horrible. One guy pounds the ball and the other 4 stand around, no hard cuts. In quite a few of the possessions the ball never enters inside the 3 point line. Did anyway see a pass into the foul line and cut to the basket? It may have happened, but I don't recall one. As Fishy said, how can the staff not see this? Call a timeout and run something, anything. Everyone should play zone against us all the time, because we have no semblance or a organized offense. Someone last night said it looks like a pickup game.

Reaction Score
When we aren't scoring form outside you need to make the players take the ball to the rim EVERY play. We only shot 13 foul shots to their 26. We settled for a ridiculous amount of 3 point shots. when the shot isn't going down from the field, get to the foul line.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

You know why their collective basketball IQ doesn't look high? Because they don't have a stud PG. That's where the majority of their offensive problems flow from. Adams will be a stud, but he is not there yet developmentally. c'est la vie

Nothing to be done about it this year other than hope for the best. Maybe Adams grows up astronomically quick.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I think our offensive schemes are horrible. One guy pounds the ball and the other 4 stand around, no hard cuts. In quite a few of the possessions the ball never enters inside the 3 point line. Did anyway see a pass into the foul line and cut to the basket? It may have happened, but I don't recall one. As Fishy said, how can the staff not see this? Call a timeout and run something, anything. Everyone should play zone against us all the time, because we have no semblance or a organized offense. Someone last night said it looks like a pickup game.

It's on Ollie to figure out how to correct these things, but I think too many people don't have a grasp on the idea that Ollie and staff don't have an offensive system that tells the players to do these things...at least to the extent that they do.

Much is on the players not executing. It's on Ollie to do the rest, I.e. Figure out why, figure ways to make it happen, push different buttons, etc.

Reaction Score
One would think, al things considered, that JC would materialize and remedy the issue - one way or another. Advice, etc.

So where art thou?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
One would think, al things considered, that JC would materialize and remedy the issue - one way or another. Advice, etc.

So where art thou?

Retired and enjoying it. He probably doesn't miss the stress of coaching.

FYI, he doesn't owe it to us to come back or do anything. We're the ones who owe him.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Retired and enjoying it. He probably doesn't miss the stress of coaching.

FYI, he doesn't owe it to us to come back or do anything. We're the ones who owe him.

Even JC couldn't conjure up a point guard out of thin air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom