KO and this season | The Boneyard

KO and this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I can't believe the people bashing KO over this season. Of course, it's normal for an inexperienced coach to get out coached by 2 hof. It's his second year and he's done great so far, what do people expect? I mean you have to respect what he's done this year when multiple players did not live up to the expectations, 24-7 is not bad. People need to lighten up the postseason is coming up and ul is pretty much the only team we know we can't beat. And btw no one in the country has a big like Harrell, kids a beast.

Reaction Score
KO is a great face for the program. And he has done a nice job taking over the program. Things could certainly be much worse. But I don't think it's ridiculous to question his in game coaching and adjustments ( or lack of). You make the exact point. Multiple players have underachieved this year. That falls on the coach at some point. People keep saying. "The players don't try hard. Or we don't execute. That's not his fault".

Well yes it is!!! It's his job to develop the players and make adjusters and correct mistakes. Well we keep making the same mistakes. Almost nobody has gotten any better as the year has gone on. And he makes no adjustments to the lineup or gameplan. I love KO but I'm questioning the job he's done lately and I don't think that's so un called for.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
KO is a great face for the program. And he has done a nice job taking over the program. Things could certainly be much worse. But I don't think it's ridiculous to question his in game coaching and adjustments ( or lack of). You make the exact point. Multiple players have underachieved this year. That falls on the coach at some point. People keep saying. "The players don't try hard. Or we don't execute. That's not his fault".

Well yes it is!!! It's his job to develop the players and make adjusters and correct mistakes. Well we keep making the same mistakes. Almost nobody has gotten any better as the year has gone on. And he makes no adjustments to the lineup or gameplan. I love KO but I'm questioning the job he's done lately and I don't think that's so un called for.
It's ko's fault that Calhoun is inept at everything this year? It's ko's fault that boatright can set himself up but can't hit a shot? It gets to a point where you can't just blame the coach when he has nothing to work with

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It's ko's fault that Calhoun is inept at everything this year? It's ko's fault that boatright can set himself up but can't hit a shot? It gets to a point where you can't just blame the coach when he has nothing to work with
I blame KO for his inability to develop plays to beat a zone defense. That is one thing that has stayed consistent throughout the year.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I blame KO for his inability to develop plays to beat a zone defense. That is one thing that has stayed consistent throughout the year.
Well of coarse he has flaws but godam he's a second year head coach. He's bound to struggle with some things. It's not like we beat cuse zone consistently every year

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Well of coarse he has flaws but godam he's a second year head coach. He's bound to struggle with some things. It's not like we beat cuse zone consistently every year
I agree. But beating the zone is a pretty fundamental thing to do. If your shots don't fall that day, then that's that. But when you try to beat the zone like you did today, that's just not knowing how to beat the zone at all. Then trying to do the same thing in the second half demonstrates how inept your team is to adapting on the fly.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I agree. But beating the zone is a pretty fundamental thing to do. If your shots don't fall that day, then that's that. But when you try to beat the zone like you did today, that's just not knowing how to beat the zone at all. Then trying to do the same thing in the second half demonstrates how inept your team is to adapting on the fly.
To be fair, they gave up in the second half

C

Chief00

While I have criticized Warde's business and financial management skills and outcomes; he does seem to be pretty good at analyzing games and hiring coaches. Having said that I would like to think he will get KO to address UConn's bigs issue - both player talent and coaching that leads to bigs development needs to change.

Reaction Score
CTBasketball said:

You can't really think that ollie and the rest of the coaches on the bench don't know how to beat a zone? You must be one of those guys who posts your ideas for plays they can run as if a collection of D1 coaches could learn something from you.

Reaction Score
Wait a second. I don't want WM having his nose in the way KO does his job! Our deficiencies are obvious. I don't want WM getting involved. He knows hoops better than KO, his coaches, and advisor JC? Are you sincere in this sentiment?

Reaction Score
It's hard for me to evaluate KO as a coach from my couch. I'm not at practice and I am not in the huddle or locker room. There are people who have access and are more knowledgeable about hoop that can do that for me. I think what everyone is missing is that UConn still needs to recover from the APR ban. We lost most of our inside players because of it and recruiting definitely took a shot because of it. What it really comes down to is: We do not have any depth at all at our Center/Forward players. Nolan/Brimah/TO rotate at our center and DD is really our only serviceable forward. Yes I know that Facey is a forward but he is green. We have no shooting forward on this team and this forces us to play a 3 guard lineup. This creates great matchups for us against some teams (Memphis) and terrible matchups for us against others (SMU, L'ville).

Reaction Score
Blaming KO for guys not being able to be multi-faceted at this point is ridiculous.

They have Shabazz, he does it all as we've seen.

They have Boat who can do it all but is a bit out of control, I think if you look closely he has helped him improve to point and reeled his game in carefully so as to not lose the edge he plays with. There's room for him to still improve and we will see if he can make that happen, it is no longer on KO but him!

They have Omar - well what can you do with sophomore who lost his mind? We already knew his limitations and he didn't have a summer to improve upon them as needed due to injury. But he can't pass or handle and his defense is adequate at best. Now he can't make a shot, literally. This is not on KO..

Lasan - Great addition, perfect fit to do all the little things include guard the other teams best perimeter, slasher guy…….he can shoot it a little, all right handed handle and is scary passing in the half court set. Nice player but another who can't breakdown a defense.

Giffey - Love him, had a nice Husky career and glad he stayed. Spot up shooter, nice all around player - is Kromah squared basically!

TSam - hopefully going to be a good Husky PG - if you're looking to break a zone down not necessarily the guy unless you surround him with Bazz on one side and Bazz on the other - can't shoot it and won't be guarded in a zone.

DD - played decent yesterday, good on O……..actually got the ball in the middle and minus a couple of cough ups made a couple shots……..but again not a break down the D guy…….

The Bigs - well long way to go. Can't play high-low if they can't catch it or shoot it

Blah blah blah………….

End result - he needs to change the roster period. The types of athletes on the wings need to scare the other team and leave some freedom for the others who can score……..there's no room for Bazz and Boat now for a reason. Hell there's no room for Bazz because honestly while Ryan has played better his shooting has been horrendous for a while now so the ONLY guy that can beat the other team is Bazz…….

It will change - Hamilton, Purvis, Turtle, Prince - it will change and we'll need to be patient. One can only hope we play vs teams in the Dance that have really stupid coaches and rotten defenders pin the next 2 weeks!!

Reaction Score
That is a different type of zone, that we will not see unless we play them again...I would rather play the cuse zone anyday, it was those high traps that killed us, we werent ready....still not a good scene, we need to figure it out, hopefully we will

Reaction Score
That is a different type of zone, that we will not see unless we play them again...I would rather play the cuse zone anyday, it was those high traps that killed us, we werent ready....still not a good scene, we need to figure it out, hopefully we will

Actually this is the same zone that killed us when Florida went to it late in the game at Gampel…….with Wilkebin out they played this and it gave our guys fits……..small guards have to dribble around the zone, can't pass over it very well, just around it. That's why I like big guards………and wings who can create and pass the ball…….the only way to beat it is attack and they can't because they're limited and couldn't make a shot. And actually DD had a decent game flashing to the post but he can only turn and shoot, can't drive by anyone!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Actually this is the same zone that killed us when Florida went to it late in the game at Gampel…….with Wilkebin out they played this and it gave our guys fits……..small guards have to dribble around the zone, can't pass over it very well, just around it. That's why I like big guards………and wings who can create and pass the ball…….the only way to beat it is attack and they can't because they're limited and couldn't make a shot. And actually DD had a decent game flashing to the post but he can only turn and shoot, can't drive by anyone!

While you are not wrong that it is more advantageous to have bigger players against a zone, small guards can get it done. Kemba and Shabazz had no problem. Khalid had no problem. Not have any offensive presence whatsoever in the post is a killer. Omar being a black hole is a killer. Streaky 3pt shooters is a killer. Lack of athleticism at the wing position is a killer. We don't have just one issue is what I'm trying to say.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that for better (Shabazz) or for worse these are Calhoun's guys. I think that you have wait to see how Ollie's guys look on the floor before you can be too critical of him. He's hinted at what he wants to put together. If he is successful it will be entertaining.

As to next year, if Brimah and Nolan continue their upward trend the pressure on our guards goes down and everyone looks better. While you can never replace Bazz, the load will be more evenly distributed.

So, even though we were Louisville's prison wife last night, I'm not particularly worried.

Reaction Score
While you are not wrong that it is more advantageous to have bigger players against a zone, small guards can get it done. Kemba and Shabazz had no problem. Khalid had no problem. Not have any offensive presence whatsoever in the post is a killer. Omar being a black hole is a killer. Streaky 3pt shooters is a killer. Lack of athleticism at the wing position is a killer. We don't have just one issue is what I'm trying to say.

Yep I agree……not saying it's all on the guards and you're right. But if you have small guards as we do and then add to it wings with little or no ability to help breakdown the zone, you're screwed. Hence, yesterday and 51 points vs Cincy……..

Reaction Score
We did get some good shots yesterday and just didn't make them. Plus a lot of our turnovers weren't really caused by the zone, but by not taking care of the ball. Even when we did get it into the middle of the zone yesterday, we can't exactly dish it off down low usually

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
People keep saying. "The players don't try hard. Or we don't execute. That's not his fault".

Have you ever heard of dysarthria and apraxia?

Whenever we look to execute a movement anywhere in our body, our brain formulates the "idea" of the movement, pieces together and plans the sequence of required contractions, then that motor message is sent down from the cortex to lower structures, where, along with the cerebellum and brainstem, the movement is coordinated and sent down to the periphery to activate the coordinated movement, and the muscles need to contract properly. As you see, there are several steps in executing something as simple as raising your arm, and a breakdown can happen anywhere. Unfortunately, the result is often visually similar when a breakdown occurs somewhere, and there can be some extensive testing required to figure out whether it was an ataxic (planning) error, a dysarthric (execution) error, or a problem at the peripheral level with the muscles themselves.

I don't think there is any way for us as fans to tell what is going on, because all we see is a finished product, and have no idea where the breakdown is occurring. There are way too many moving parts here.

edit oh wait just realized this is Huskiessomeofthedays. What a waste of mental effort....carry on

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The funny thing is, without Siva, I actually thought we'd play better against Ville this year.

I don't think there's much comparison between UL's zone and 'Scuse's. 'Scuse doesn't make you work that hard from end line to end line. They don't press often or make the guards work that hard. They simply set up pickets and dare you to work your way through. Show patience and you'll get behind it for easy dunks, or kickouts for threes. UL's zone is like play a team of Agent Andersons from the Matrix.

The way Ville played yesterday, it would be hard to pick against them to go all the way, with perhaps only Florida standing in their way.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It wasn't Ollie's fault that Shabazz and kromah played like absolute crap, that no one on the team wanted to box out anyone on Louisville, that our transition defense was atrocious, or our defense had no energy to it. Also no one on our team can match up with Harrell who didn't have one post move or back to the basket bucket. They were all rebounds or transition baskets. People think Ollie went through the motions and didn't try to to change things? Give me a break. He also beat cuses zone last year, villes defense is one of the best in the country and they have size and athleticism at every position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom