Knee replacement | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Knee replacement

Reaction Score
Just saw this thread. Going for a partial knee Oct 22. Hopefully the other knee 5-6 weeks later. Bone on Bone interior knee.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I recommend exploring the new technology, where the new knee prosthesis is produced through 3D printing. This means that, rather than making an off the shelf prosthesis fit by reshaping the bone, your natural knee is scanned and a perfect replica is produced. This means that far less damage during surgery and a far better, easier recovery. I know several friends who have had it done by Dr. Wolfgang Fitz at Brigham in Boston. He is a pioneer with this technology and his protocol is so much easier on the patient than the traditional surgery and tough rehab. Don't wait. No need to live with pain that limits your life activities.
Producing 3D is great to hear. I had a total replacement on left knee. Of course knee is swollen after. However in my case,7 years later, the knee is the same size. Noticeably larger than my right. Without a lick of medical knowledge, I would say with confidence, they put the wrong size in. The good thing, I am getting my golf swing back, walking much better. I was playing golf with a stance tilted way to the left because the knee was so bad.
I had my surgery done at the VA. An experience that I will never forget.

As far as both, my right knee is just fine. However going through TSA is a is b**ch. The guy scanning me said his 82 year old mother had both knees done. So, each person is different.

Reaction Score
The pain shouldn’t be too bad, especially after 3-4 days. Immediately post-op and the next day, a lot of it depends on the anesthetic technique. If you get spinal morphine and a femoral nerve block, you will probably be quite comfy.

They will give you a machine to move your knee and encourage you to get up and use the knee as soon as you tolerate, typically the day after surgery. It prevents scar tissue formation so you can actually use your new knee. I don’t think there are weight bearing precautions, as it is a new knee. It just depends on how much you tolerate. You’ll go from a walker, to crutches, to a cane.

And yes, build up your leg strength. Bike, leg presses, etc. It will help you recover faster.

As others have mentioned, there are pros and cons to having both at once. Personally I’d do one at a time. Less time under anesthesia, even if you have to “go under” a second time. I don’t think the pain will prevent you from having a second replacement, especially when you see how much better your leg feels.

Those replacements last over 30 years nowadays. I doubt you will need a redo (no offense). Good luck!

Reaction Score
Update for the fun of it, plus just extremely grateful. Both knees are still awesome (replaced Sept 2018) I don't run, but walk three miles per day, 5 days a week, at around 14 mins per. Pretty much pain-free since it happened and still one of the best decisions I ever made. I had stopped playing golf a few years before and picked it up again last year after a 9 year layoff. Playing better than ever...the new knees appear to have taken the 'wild' out of the swing...same distance, much more accurate.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Update for the fun of it, plus just extremely grateful. Both knees are still awesome (replaced Sept 2018) I don't run, but walk three miles per day, 5 days a week, at around 14 mins per. Pretty much pain-free since it happened and still one of the best decisions I ever made. I had stopped playing golf a few years before and picked it up again last year after a 9 year layoff. Playing better than ever...the new knees appear to have taken the 'wild' out of the swing...same distance, much more accurate.
Just to refresh, you did both at once?

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
My right knee experience was brutal. Luckily, my left knee is fine. I had had so many injuries and surgeries on the right knee that I eventually had no choice. I will say that I am much better for it now. You can never go by someone else’s experience. I’ve heard stories that run the gamut and mine was on the tough end of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom