Knee replacement | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Knee replacement

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Starting to get real...
Pre-op to the hospital this coming Monday. Did a lot of research on the doc and hospital and feeling pretty good about that. Doc is chief of ortho surgery, has done in the 1,000s, with several hundred two-fers.
Hospital is using an 'opioid sparing pathway' and they set out prior to surgery to try to reduce any inflammatory processes that occur by treating it before it actually happens.

Have a flexible schedule and work from home...surgery 9/11, hoping to be back to work at least half-time after two weeks.
Good luck!! Sounds like you're in good hands.

Reaction Score
My father had both done at the same time 3 years ago. I highly recommend it.

He worked very hard to rehab before the surgery to get himself as strong as possible. Had them both done at same time. Stayed in hospital for 3 days then went to an inpatient rehab facility for a week. Then went home.

It's tough but he did great and eventually was fine. I know a lot of people who get one done and then put off the other one because of the rehab. And that makes the other knee worse.

Pm me if you want more details.
My brother-in-law had both done, but separately. He did the same thing trying to get as much strength as he could before the first was done. He sometimes has minor issues with one, but not sure if is first or second done. I was under the impression the doctors didn’t like to do both at the same time. Maybe thats old school. Good luck.

Getting a hip in January myself. Much easier than the knee.

Reaction Score
Been having pain in both knees for quite a while...had them x-rayed..both a mess, severe arthritis. Doc said, without even further study, about the left one, nothing much that can be done except knee replacement. (Had arthroscopic surgery about 30 years ago). For the right, suggested a MRI. Got the MRI - was told meniscus damage that they could operate on, and I might (might) get 6-12 months of relief, but...recommending knee replacement for that one as well.

Am not a big 'pain' guy, and watching a video of the operation online...kinda makes that seem inevitable.

Fortunately, I work at home (desk-type job), with single floor living and good home support. Trying to figure out if I should get both done at once, or one at a time and wondered if anyone here had experience with either strategy. Have read about the pro's and con's of both approaches (one at a time or both at once)...but interested in hearing from anyone that might have gone through it.

Get them done one at a time! Yeah, it stinks that you will have two different surgeries and rehabs to go through but rehab is so much easier/faster when you have 1 good leg and it is so much easier getting around on crutches instead of a wheel chair. Trust me. Had both knees replaced at different times and both revised at the same time. Having the revisions done at the same was the worst decision I ever made!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Based on past threads I'd say eating more red meat should fix you right up. Or not.

That's all I got.

Reaction Score
Good lucky with the surgery.

One thing I have heard is that you must continue the exercises even after you feel better. Otherwise you regress and it is really tough to get back to feeling well. Your physical therapy routine must become a lifelong friend. It's like mowing the lawn, you stop and it gets bad fast.

Reaction Score
Based on past threads I'd say eating more red meat should fix you right up. Or not.

That's all I got.

That's actually kind of funny. I had a physical about 3 weeks ago, and finally went and had had blood drawn for the lab part of it last week.
That same afternoon, got a text from our pharmacy that my 'scrip for simvastatin was ready. Apparently, I have high cholesterol, and this was my primary care doc's way of letting me know.
I called and he did give me the option to try to address thru diet, but I don't recall that 'eating more red meat' was one of the instructions. In fact, pretty sure it was the opposite - upside is, more salmon.

Reaction Score
Get them done one at a time! Yeah, it stinks that you will have two different surgeries and rehabs to go through but rehab is so much easier/faster when you have 1 good leg and it is so much easier getting around on crutches instead of a wheel chair. Trust me. Had both knees replaced at different times and both revised at the same time. Having the revisions done at the same was the worst decision I ever made!

I've heard lots of pluses and minuses for both, but going with the 2 for 1 option. I'm looking at one recovery/out of work period, which they said would be less than two singles combined.
Have connected with some folks that have had two at once and they've been able to get around within a few days, using a walker just for balance.

No matter what, I'm planning on this hurting like a beyotch and no way I want to g through it twice (check out this video if you get a chance).

Knee Replacement Surgery Video

For some reason, it seems like the part between the 0:50 and 1:06 has some decent pain infliction potential, even though it looks nice on the video.
They'd probably have to chase me down and catch me to get me to go through it a second time.

Reaction Score
The deed is done. Surgery last Tuesday, out of the hospital about 48 hours after that. 1 week post-op and already walking around by myself. Pretty freaking amazing.
Glad I chose the two-fer route. Already 100% weight-bearing and have crutched it up and down the driveway a few times.
Am able to get comfortable pretty easily (just sit down with some ice packs). The oxy doesn't hurt either, but it's not that strong and I'm not taking that many or very frequently.
Expected beforehand that the pain would be at about 19 or 20 on a scale of 1-10, for about 25 hours a day, but it's been nothing like that at all.

Kinda want to get off that oxy and the aspirin as soon as possible so I can resume my IPA maintenance therapy.
To anyone putting this off because they think it's going to hurt, take it from one of the most pain-averse people on the planet - get over it and get it done - it's not that bad (yet anyway).

Reaction Score
The deed is done. Surgery last Tuesday, out of the hospital about 48 hours after that. 1 week post-op and already walking around by myself. Pretty freaking amazing.
Glad I chose the two-fer route. Already 100% weight-bearing and have crutched it up and down the driveway a few times.
Am able to get comfortable pretty easily (just sit down with some ice packs). The oxy doesn't hurt either, but it's not that strong and I'm not taking that many or very frequently.
Expected beforehand that the pain would be at about 19 or 20 on a scale of 1-10, for about 25 hours a day, but it's been nothing like that at all.

Kinda want to get off that oxy and the aspirin as soon as possible so I can resume my IPA maintenance therapy.
To anyone putting this off because they think it's going to hurt, take it from one of the most pain-averse people on the planet - get over it and get it done - it's not that bad (yet anyway).
Good news and good luck.

Reaction Score

Do NOT stop doing the exercises. My brother had the (one knee) operation and after a while he was walking and pain free. He felt so good he cut down on his home exercises and the pain returned. Those exercises are a lifelong friend. Do them. Do them even after you feel 100%.

Good luck with your recovery.

Reaction Score
9 months post op....feeling/doing great.
September 2017, I "ran" a charity 5K in 38 minutes.
Last year sat it out for double knee replacement.
Goal this year is to beat that 38 minute time with the new knees. Am currently doing 13-14 minute miles.

One of the best things I've ever done, huge gratitude to the doc...serious life-changer.
YMMV, but to anyone on the fence, do your research and do yourself a favor.

Reaction Score
9 months post op....feeling/doing great.
September 2017, I "ran" a charity 5K in 38 minutes.
Last year sat it out for double knee replacement.
Goal this year is to beat that 38 minute time with the new knees. Am currently doing 13-14 minute miles.

One of the best things I've ever done, huge gratitude to the doc...serious life-changer.
YMMV, but to anyone on the fence, do your research and do yourself a favor.
A guy I used to work with just had 1 done in a unique way from what I had ever heard of. They did a 3-D scan of his knee, and printed him a new one. Perfect fit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A guy I used to work with just had 1 done in a unique way from what I had ever heard of. They did a 3-D scan of his knee, and printed him a new one. Perfect fit.
I had heard that they were thing about it but didn't realize that it was already being done. Very cool. Did it reduce his post surgery discomfort or speed his rehab?

Reaction Score
As of now 3D printing and “personalized” knee replacement has not shown any clinical improvement in the literature.

I use mako assisted robot for my knee replacement which, in my opinion, will show better clinical results in the future.

Here’s the catch with new technology—this is a marathon not a sprint. Meaning we care how these implants are doing 5, 10, 20+ years from now, not necessarily the first few months. And we won’t have that clinical data for 5, 10, 20+ years.

Yardigan— congrats! I know it’s not an easy recovery.

Reaction Score
Had a scond hip replaced earlier this year at NYU Ortho. First hip done 3 years ago. Virtually no swelling, w black-n-blue only about the size of a quarter. Oxi for 3 days, and Tylenol for another 3 weeks - the pain is from surgical causes. Be sure to pre-medicate (eg, before PT routine, etc). Walking / hopping around before I left hospital - 2 night stay since I hit the OR at 5pm. Had in-home PT for 2 weeks - memorized the exercise set after 2nd day. Walked a mile by end of 3-4 weeks. Used cane for first 1-2 weeks. Found the cane really 'parts the waters' when in a crowd or crossing a street!

The first few days are a challenge to move since the body responds with a wtf? But found it not that bad. If the appliance set in the bone successfully, you're good to go. It's all muscles / tendons / ligaments. Also hit the gym for leg weight lifting before the surgery. It helped. Back in the gym after 3 months w surgeon clearance. Keep doing the exercise routine - it helps keep you limber.

Reaction Score
That's EXACTLY what I'm thinking...They hurt now, but I "know" that hurt...and if I get one done...and it hurts worse than "this" does now... they might have to lasso me and drag me in to get the second one done...

3 points

I did a serious rehab from a major ski injury.....don’t skimp on. Rehab. It works.

My neighbor had a knee done and she said about the rehab...it was short term pain for a lifetime of pain free mobility v constantly increased pain without the suregery

My cousin needed 2 knees. She did one and had issues...she put off the second because of the problems and ended up making the first knee worse because she put too much weight on it because the non surgical knee hurt too much. Had she done both together her first would not have had to be redone

It’s really up to you. If u think u won’t do the second do them together. If you’re not afraid of a litttle rehab and will do thee second...then wait.

Honestly I don;;t underestandd why people. Make such a big deal about rehab. It’s EXERCISE... Each day gets better and bettter. It’s not that big a deal. (And I spent 2 years rehabbing from my injury)

If u want to got on your aug vaca geet one done now and the other when u get back...remember...short term inconvenience for long term freedom of movement

Reaction Score
As of now 3D printing and “personalized” knee replacement has not shown any clinical improvement in the literature.

I use mako assisted robot for my knee replacement which, in my opinion, will show better clinical results in the future.

Here’s the catch with new technology—this is a marathon not a sprint. Meaning we care how these implants are doing 5, 10, 20+ years from now, not necessarily the first few months. And we won’t have that clinical data for 5, 10, 20+ years.

Yardigan— congrats! I know it’s not an easy recovery.

True that! I was fortunate tho...single floor living (only kids bedrooms/bathroom upstairs) was key. Being married to an awesome caretaker was also a huge help, as well as a verrrry slooooow time at work (from home). What's most helpful now is recognizing the difference between soreness and pain. If I'm walking/exercising, and I'm sore, I can still go some. But, when the 'pain' starts, I normally just shut it down, to ensure I'll be able to get out there the next day. Had been getting out 4-5 days/week, but today made 30 straight.

@sledog glad to hear the hip went well! I agree that, a walker, cane, crutches...all help give you some 'space'! But, an even bigger bonus I think is the handicap parking tag... :cool:

Reaction Score
True that! I was fortunate tho...single floor living (only kids bedrooms/bathroom upstairs) was key. Being married to an awesome caretaker was also a huge help, as well as a verrrry slooooow time at work (from home). What's most helpful now is recognizing the difference between soreness and pain. If I'm walking/exercising, and I'm sore, I can still go some. But, when the 'pain' starts, I normally just shut it down, to ensure I'll be able to get out there the next day. Had been getting out 4-5 days/week, but today made 30 straight.

@sledog glad to hear the hip went well! I agree that, a walker, cane, crutches...all help give you some 'space'! But, an even bigger bonus I think is the handicap parking tag... :cool:

Parking tag a +++

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Update...iagas...

Sept 30, 2017, "ran" in a church-sponsored 5K at 38:30
Sept 11, 2018 both knees replaced
Sept 21, 2019 "ran" the same church-sponsored race in 35:00

New knees >>>>> old knees.

One of the best things I ever did.
Our encounters in another BY forum don't find us in much agreement. All the more reason to express my happiness for you with this reported continued progress.

Reaction Score
Our encounters in another BY forum don't find us in much agreement. All the more reason to express my happiness for you with this reported continued progress.

That's ok, I have friends that wouldn't agree with my other forum entries either. Much appreciated, just wanted to post this in case anyone on the fence might be helped along in their decision-making.

Reaction Score
I had heard that they were thing about it but didn't realize that it was already being done. Very cool. Did it reduce his post surgery discomfort or speed his rehab?
Just seeing this... he was back at work in a few weeks. Like nothing ever happened. I was blown away as I’m still dealing with my hip replacement in January. Nothing serious, but numbness in my thigh is annoying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom